Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 11:31 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,750,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
The story doesn't say that. children of that age should have a nanny/babysitter, because children of that age are vulnerable, some even start house fires playing with matches and lighters.

get a clue.
I think it depends on the maturity of the individual child, some kids are mature enough at 12 to be left home alone, some aren't, it is a judgement call by the parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 12:19 PM

46,274 posts, read 27,078,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
You must have missed this:

Later research claims that there is no evidence that [the law] reduced the rate of home burglaries [in Kennesaw][21][22], even though the overall crime rate had decreased by more than 50% between 1982 and 2005.[23]

Kennesaw, Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
So, did you change the stats before you posted this? wiki.....I would be embarrassed....

Old 10-27-2012, 03:14 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,024,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
So, did you change the stats before you posted this? wiki.....I would be embarrassed....
I didn't change anything.

I am highly skeptical anytime someone claims that gun ownership reduces crime. Because all of the raw numbers I have seen say otherwise. Counties with low gun ownership have lower crime rates. States with lower gun ownership have lower crime rates.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:43 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,723,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post
Curious, how some people manage to find this situation normal.

Next time this girl may shoot a neighbour, whose yorkshire "assaulted" her...
Quote:
A neighbour looks like human, and he may go all the way to the room, where she's hiding, to say sorry.

I'm Russian, and this is one of the words, which spelling I fail to remember - so I let google correct me.

It's hard to blame a little girl. But the system, in which such things happen, is totally wrong.
Quote:
We're not talking about protecting a property (which is a very controversial topic), but about a little girl with a gun, and a willingless to use it!!!

I can provide another example - school shootings. Try to find any in Russia. A country, that's since 1990's is way more troubled than US.

For us such things are totally incomprehensible. Even our pro-gunnners don't comprehend, when they are faced with such examples. That's simply unreal!

But for you that's a fact of life. Just like a homeless guy shooting a random woman on a street. Or a guy in a restaurant. Happened in New Orleans. National media didn't even pay much attention - because in US that's NORMAL.

Fight the source of the problem.

She didn't defend herself. She just shot a thief.
Quote:
This is one system that MOST Russians dream about, after experiencing YOUR system (but without shootings... and wars...).
You really don't have any room to be talking, russia.

UN report puts Russia among leaders in homicide rates | RUSSIA | The Moscow News

https://www.osac.gov/pages/ContentRe...aspx?cid=10885

and for those who seem to like wikipedia for whatever reason:

Crime in Russia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Homicide rates: Murder most foul | The Economist

Want me to go on? There's a ton of these out there. Don't tell us how to run our country and how little girls should protect themselves with a smug look on your face when your country is outnumbering the US in homicides. Just think if people had guns to protect themselves.

As for school shootings, well, there was that whole thing in Beslan in 2004 which is ranked as the #1 worst school shooting out of all. Being fair though, it was rebels....but don't say Russia didn't have any and that we couldn't find any. Remember, 186 kids died that day.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:59 PM

46,274 posts, read 27,078,580 times
Quote:

I am highly skeptical anytime someone claims that gun ownership reduces crime. Because all of the raw numbers I have seen say otherwise. Counties with low gun ownership have lower crime rates. States with lower gun ownership have lower crime rates.
You do understand that you can modify wiki....

You don't think that the because 1 town where it is mandatory to own a gun....the crime rate drops severely...that's just a coincidence?

I would also like you to back up your claims....that I put in bold....

Old 10-27-2012, 06:26 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,024,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
You do understand that you can modify wiki....

You don't think that the because 1 town where it is mandatory to own a gun....the crime rate drops severely...that's just a coincidence?
One town doesn't prove anything. There could be an endless amount of other reasons why the crime rate there dropped. If it actually did drop at all. Which I seriously doubt it did.

This is just one more example of how you pro-gun people, pick out one little bit of evidence, to make your point. While ignoring the overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Just like how you are going to make this 12 year old girl, your poster child for kids having guns. While you ignore the 3,000 other kids that are killed by guns every year.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:06 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
One town doesn't prove anything. There could be an endless amount of other reasons why the crime rate there dropped. If it actually did drop at all. Which I seriously doubt it did.

This is just one more example of how you pro-gun people, pick out one little bit of evidence, to make your point. While ignoring the overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Just like how you are going to make this 12 year old girl, your poster child for kids having guns. While you ignore the 3,000 other kids that are killed by guns every year.
The point is that there are communities with a lot of guns that do not have high crime rates. There are places with low gun ownership and low crime rates. There are those with low gun ownership and high crime and high gun ownership and high crime. There is no consistent cause and effect relationship between gun ownership and crime.

In communities with high crime rates, there may be more of an incentive for people who do not commit crimes to get guns, if they are allowed to do so.

Gun laws do not deter criminals from getting guns. They do not care whether it is legal or not.

No one is making a case for "kids having guns." Many of do think our kids can be taught to handle guns safely --- and have done so.

I have never killed a living thing with a gun. Shooting at a target or plinking cans is kind of neat, though. Most non-criminal gun owners are hunters or sports shooters. Some are just collectors. The majority of those do not even mind the hoops they must jump through to legally own their guns.

The problem is not the total number of guns. It is how to keep them out of the hands of criminals. Restrictive gun laws do not do that very well.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:21 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,205,038 times
Quote:

Well, having a gun in this instance reduced the crime...

Old 10-30-2012, 09:53 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,882,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Well, having a gun in this instance reduced the crime...
Yes, one 12 year old girl is still a virgin.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:13 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,815,402 times
Not big on guns - or needing them- Americans for the most part accept them as part of their culture...so be it....All I know and I don't want to sound like a prick- If someone breaks into your home they deserve what ever happens to them. It's like a street fight - Once the person has advanced or pulls a weapon...there are no more rules- You have though your offence have put your life on the line.. Just entering the home IS THE WEAPON...no mercy...The jerk is luck the round did not pop out the closet door and hit the goof in the head...no sympathy for anyone committing evil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies