Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2012, 01:58 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times

Advertisements

Don't feed the troll-ski.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 02:10 PM

37,111 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post
It's hard to blame a little girl. But the system, in which such things happen, is totally wrong.
The right to bear arms is granted to US citizens by our Constitution. That document has served us well for over two hundred years. The system is not the problem. The problem is human predators, and they live in every country in the world. In the US, we have the option to use guns to protect ourselves against them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Your "liberal friend" is an idiot.

Hmmmm, a 12 year old left at home alone, that says alot. In most states, it is unlawful to leave children under a certain age unattended. Parent/s should be cited for child neglect. No parent in their right mind would leave a 12 y.o. home alone. Where was mom? at the tavern? boyfriends?

I am amazed at the amount of idiotic responses on this thread, nobody has said anything logical yet, or anything that makes sense, I didn't realize there were so many gun happy, blood thirsty people here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
The story doesn't say that. children of that age should have a nanny/babysitter, because children of that age are vulnerable, some even start house fires playing with matches and lighters.

get a clue.
A summary of state recommendations on "Latchkey children":

Latchkey Kids Legal Age Limits Listed By State

Note that of the states that do have legal limits, the age is as young as 8.

The National SAFEKIDS Campaign recommends that no child under the age of 12 be left at home alone.

Since we do not know her birthday, this girl may even be closer to 13 than 12.

So it was not unreasonable for her to be home alone. We can toss that argument.

Quote:
Today Russia is almost like a US clone. Unfortunately, this applies to crime rates too. But, fortunately, violent crimes here involve vodka, not poverty and guns. So, if a 12 yo girl doesn't hang out with outclass drunks - she's not in danger.
Russia to set up anti-pedophile squads | Russia & India Report

It looks as if Russia is not immune to child murders, huh?

Quote:
If she could speak with her mother - I'm perfectly sure that she could leave the house.

She talked with mom, got a gun, hid, waited...
By the time she got the phone and called her mother, the intruder was already in the house. Her mother made the decision for the child to hide. The inference is that the girl was in an area of the house where going to a door would mean possibly running right into the intruder. Going out of a window would mean getting the window open, possibly having to remove or push out a screen, and possibly having to drop from an upper story. It would take time, even for a first floor window. I will give her Mom the benefit of the doubt, since Mom knows the layout of the house.

No, you cannot be sure that she could leave the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
According to the article she shot through the door when the handle was turned. It could have been a cop and she could have shot him in the head or heart and killed him/her.

Yea, teach 'em young to shoot people when they try to take your 'stuff'!
The police would know where she was in the house and that she was armed from the 911 call. They would loudly announce their presence.

Quote:
Where did you get the idea he hunted her down? He probably didn't know anyone was in the house. He probably opened the closet door to see if there was anything worth stealing. So you've decided he's probably a rapist/pedophile/murderer and not just a burglar because he opened a closet which happened to have a 12 year old in it?
Sorry, he knew someone was in the house. He was at the closet door very quickly, suggesting he heard her moving around. He made no effort to collect anything to steal. He went directly to the girl.

Someone else previously mentioned this, but apparently you ignored it:

Durant Daily Democrat

"Jones has been under investigation in Bryan County before. In September 2011, he picked up a student at Durant High School authorities said was mentally challenged. An Amber Alert was issued for the girl that was later canceled after authorities learned she had been dropped off in Denison, Texas. No charges were filed in that case because the girl told authorities she voluntarily went with Jones."

Missing Durant girl located

That girl was older (17), but mentally handicapped. What Jones did was inappropriate, though he escaped prosecution.

Pedophile? Probably. His initial motive may have been theft, but it is reasonable to suspect that motive may have changed when he realized the girl was there.

By the way, Jones is 5 ft 10 in tall and weighs 300 pounds.

This girl did what she needed to do to protect herself.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:13 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The right to bear arms is granted to US citizens by our Constitution. That document has served us well for over two hundred years. The system is not the problem. The problem is human predators, and they live in every country in the world. In the US, we have the option to use guns to protect ourselves against them.

A summary of state recommendations on "Latchkey children":

Latchkey Kids Legal Age Limits Listed By State

Note that of the states that do have legal limits, the age is as young as 8.

The National SAFEKIDS Campaign recommends that no child under the age of 12 be left at home alone.

Since we do not know her birthday, this girl may even be closer to 13 than 12.

So it was not unreasonable for her to be home alone. We can toss that argument.

Russia to set up anti-pedophile squads | Russia & India Report

It looks as if Russia is not immune to child murders, huh?

By the time she got the phone and called her mother, the intruder was already in the house. Her mother made the decision for the child to hide. The inference is that the girl was in an area of the house where going to a door would mean possibly running right into the intruder. Going out of a window would mean getting the window open, possibly having to remove or push out a screen, and possibly having to drop from an upper story. It would take time, even for a first floor window. I will give her Mom the benefit of the doubt, since Mom knows the layout of the house.

No, you cannot be sure that she could leave the house.

The police would know where she was in the house and that she was armed from the 911 call. They would loudly announce their presence.

Sorry, he knew someone was in the house. He was at the closet door very quickly, suggesting he heard her moving around. He made no effort to collect anything to steal. He went directly to the girl.

Someone else previously mentioned this, but apparently you ignored it:

Durant Daily Democrat

"Jones has been under investigation in Bryan County before. In September 2011, he picked up a student at Durant High School authorities said was mentally challenged. An Amber Alert was issued for the girl that was later canceled after authorities learned she had been dropped off in Denison, Texas. No charges were filed in that case because the girl told authorities she voluntarily went with Jones."

Missing Durant girl located

That girl was older (17), but mentally handicapped. What Jones did was inappropriate, though he escaped prosecution.

Pedophile? Probably. His initial motive may have been theft, but it is reasonable to suspect that motive may have changed when he realized the girl was there.

By the way, Jones is 5 ft 10 in tall and weighs 300 pounds.

This girl did what she needed to do to protect herself.

To add, what our European friends don't seem to understand is that criminals don't play by the rules! They will still find a way to get the guns no matter what!

Old 10-22-2012, 02:13 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,227,792 times
Quote:
That's you ill fantasy. The only thing I know, is that she shot a miserable thief, rather than calling cops and run.
If you read the article she called her parents , her parents told her to get he family gun and hide. Parents then called the police. If he was a thief he had a choice to steal anything in that house. He stole nothing he went to look for her.He had his chance to steal and stole nothing. The only valuable he saw was in that closet and she shot him.

Last edited by wjtwet; 10-22-2012 at 02:22 PM..

Old 10-22-2012, 02:25 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,903,614 times
A Russian concerned with human rights towards criminals in America, how adorable.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:49 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,325,190 times
Quote:
Some people don't have an ill "die freaking N-word" mindset.
Completely off-topic and has nothing to do with this thread. Is that all you got?

I'll repeat... if someone doesn't want to take the chance of getting shot, he shouldn't break into homes. Easy, isn't it?

Old 10-22-2012, 03:08 PM
J24

448 posts, read 864,002 times
So wait, Ameriscot, you're saying 12 year old girl should have waited, asked the intruder what the purpose of his break-in was, and if he was only there to rob them, she should have attempted to run away? But then if he actually was there for some other reason, then it would have been okay to shoot him? Yeah, I would love to see you try that.

russiaonline - are you a complete idiot? When a 12 year old girl is scared, just like on the movies, they generally tend to run and hide, not sprint toward the front door. Someone was just ringing the door bell, she could have easily thought someone was still out front while another guy was kicking in the back door. How are you to know?

If you had actually watched the video, it played the 911 tape. The girl called her mom, got the gun, hid in her closest and was on the phone with the 911 dispatcher. She was clearly speaking, so I'm sure the intruder heard her talking on the phone. She shot the intruder when he went straight to where she was.

She's 12, not 5. She's from Oklahoma. Most Oklahomans are pretty familiar with guns, even 12 year old girls. I'm from Oklahoma, I should know.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:22 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,548,795 times
Quote:
According to the article she shot through the door when the handle was turned. It could have been a cop and she could have shot him in the head or heart and killed him/her.

Yea, teach 'em young to shoot people when they try to take your 'stuff'!
According to the article I read, she told the dispatcher she had a gun, who then informed officers she was armed. I'm sure officers, knowing she had a gun would have announced themselves and not tried to open the door. Also, the dispatcher would have let her know the officers were in the room since they were in communication.

Quote:
Where did you get the idea he hunted her down? He probably didn't know anyone was in the house. He probably opened the closet door to see if there was anything worth stealing. So you've decided he's probably a rapist/pedophile/murderer and not just a burglar because he opened a closet which happened to have a 12 year old in it?
Quote:
Where is the proof that he even knew anyone was in the house? As far as has been reported he was a burglar. Period.

Not defending him. He was a thief. No proof that he was a rapist, murderer, or pedophile. That's just sh*t you've all made up to defend your case.
She left the TV on which could be heard and I'd guess her movements in the house could be heard. She was in a closet in a bathroom (it being slightly more secure). She knew he entered the room when he turned on the light switch which had a distinctive click. If he was just a burglar, he had plenty of opportunity to grab the TV and other convenient stuff, yet he chose to find her. So there is circumstantial evidence his intention was to abduct her.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:29 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,548,795 times
Quote:
They won't have much time, because cops will arrive in 2-5 minutes.
She had called 911 and was talking to the dispatcher the whole time. In the time it took the police to arrive, he had broken in, tried to locate her and she shot him. It was at least another minute before the dispatcher told her to go outside, the police were there. So in your 2-5 minutes, she could have been abducted and long gone before the police arrived. Oh, and she was afraid that there might have been more than one person who broke in.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:54 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,500,035 times
We do not have the "castle doctrine" in Canada.

I was born in rural Canada and had my own rifle by the age of 12 and a much better Ruger semi-auto with 4X scope by 13 to augment my paper route income by plinking ground-hogs for bounty by the local dairy farmers who would pay anything to keep their dairy herd from breaking legs stepping into ground hog holes.

No problem back in those days to be seen walking right down the mainstreet of town with my rifle and string of "hogs" hanging off my shoulder on my way home.

Does anyone here think that any intruder would have had an easy time of it in my home in the late 50's early 60's while I was home alone? Does anyone here think that my parents would have been charged for leaving me at home alone? Hell, that was common back then because we were responsible with no one telling us what and what was not good parenting.

this young girl was right on the front lines of a situation not of her making. No one should attempt to second guess either her or her mother's decision to tell her to hide AFTER securing the family handgun.

If reading between the lines is acceptable then you must propose one scenario as being just as likely as any other.
Mother knew the guy was in the house with his daughter.
Mother knew she'd have to run right past the bum on her way to any escape route. Mother did not know if another thug was waiting outside.
Parents shared knowledge of the firearm with their daughter to ensure it's ADEQUATE safety in her hands.

Result cannot be challenged. At the end of the day the lawbreaker with the obvious intent to do personal harm has suffered being shot while a 12 year old girl will have only her nightmares to overcome.

Now that there have been two similar crimes perpetrated by this cretin; hopefully he'll get a bright red star indicating 'PEDOPHILE' put beside his name and any further interaction between him and any community will be watched very closely by a throng of parents intent on protecting their children.

My summation; I sincerely hope this is just the beginning of the harsh painful lessons he will receive at the hands of either his fellow inmates, parents of children or kids he attempts to target themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies