Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2012, 11:33 AM

13,601 posts, read 21,387,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post
We can't really blame a little girl, so it's about the system. My take - her parents should be prosecuted, and not lightly.
System? I guess this shows where different cultures don't comprehend each other sometimes. Or other Russians might agree that the girl and parents were justified and it is that you just don't agree.

It has nothing to do with a system, it has to do with crime which every country experiences to a degree and the right for someone to defend themselves. The U.S.A does have liberal laws ( haha liberal how about that?) that says people have individual rights to self protection.

As far as the American posters, plenty of "liberals" believe in the right to self protection and applaud this girl saving herself. While I am not a fully leaning liberal or conservative this name branded bashing goes on too often here.

As far as statistics, maybe for every self defense situation there are more crimes commited with a gun but are you willing to sacrifice your self defense in order to eliminate gun crime across the board? I think not. Would you be easy to say "its alright my family member died but could have saved themself with a gun but statistically many other crimes haven't occurred because guns are banned".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 12:10 PM

664 posts, read 773,401 times
Why are you all arguing with some idiot in Russia about American gun laws? Why do foreigners insist on arguing about **** that they have no say in whatsoever? It's none of anyone outside this country's business what we do. That said, this little girl did great and good for her. Only thing is too bad she didn't kill him, save the state some money.

I don't care what you THINK their motive is, I don't care if they are just wanting to get out of the cold, ANYONE who violates the safety and sanctity of your home is fair game and if you shoot them and kill them, I won't lose a single second of sleep over it. You don't want to get shot, don't break into someone's house in this country. Especially someone's house in the middle of the country, unlike the coasts they actually have and know how to use guns.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:13 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,387,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn311601 View Post
Why are you all arguing with some idiot in Russia about American gun laws? Why do foreigners insist on arguing about **** that they have no say in whatsoever? It's none of anyone outside this country's business what we do.

Because this board is international, and it is interesting to engage other people specially people of opposing view points. Doing so gives a better understanding of why someone thinks like they do, you may even change their mind or they yours. I wish more people from around the world would post here. But even if I disagree with them I would refrain from calling them a idiot that will do no good to communicating with them it will shut out their willingness to debate and listen and become a battle of words instead as in * sticks fingers in the ears and repeats* " I 'm right, your wrong .... you" " la la la I don't hear you my fingers are in my ear".

Old 10-21-2012, 01:15 PM

29,445 posts, read 14,628,378 times
Had a long response typed out but decided to delete it. There are just too many people in this thread that have no real perception of reality. If it is just lack of knowledge on the subject I can understand that. If all I knew about guns was what I learned from the news media I'd probably feel the same way. For the others I just think it is pure lack of common sense, at least I hope and it's not just plain stupidity.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:25 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,875,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Agreed. The girl having to shoot someone is certainly nothing to celebrate about. Kudos to her parents for teaching her how to safely use a fire arm.
I say amen to that. My father taught me how to safely shoot at age 14. I moved to Oklahoma after the death of my husband, and my kids were pre teens and teens at that time. I feel safe knowing if I had to defend my kids and home, I would with no problems. My kids are going to learn also.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:43 PM

58,992 posts, read 27,275,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post
The fact that I'm aggressive doesn't nullify my point.
Being aggressive is NOT what I was alluding to.

It is your choice of words, "To all people, who have sh.t in place of a grey matter" .

There is nothing wrong with having an opinion, I just find it immature to insult people using your choice of gutter trash words, just because they DON'T agree with you.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:53 PM

664 posts, read 773,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Because this board is international, and it is interesting to engage other people specially people of opposing view points. Doing so gives a better understanding of why someone thinks like they do, you may even change their mind or they yours. I wish more people from around the world would post here. But even if I disagree with them I would refrain from calling them a idiot that will do no good to communicating with them it will shut out their willingness to debate and listen and become a battle of words instead as in * sticks fingers in the ears and repeats* " I 'm right, your wrong .... you" " la la la I don't hear you my fingers are in my ear".
I don't give a rat's ass what anyone outside the US thinks of our laws. I'm not interested in "engaging" in dialogue with anyone who thinks they know better than us and that our laws need to be changed. No one is ever going to change my mind about anything on the internet, people who are swayed by someone half way across the world shouldn't even have an opinion. This guy is from RUSSIA, there is ZERO to debate. This happened in OKLAHOMA, NOT RUSSIA. He has no say!

Old 10-21-2012, 05:02 PM

12,265 posts, read 6,467,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn311601 View Post
I don't give a rat's ass what anyone outside the US thinks of our laws. I'm not interested in "engaging" in dialogue with anyone who thinks they know better than us and that our laws need to be changed. No one is ever going to change my mind about anything on the internet, people who are swayed by someone half way across the world shouldn't even have an opinion. This guy is from RUSSIA, there is ZERO to debate. This happened in OKLAHOMA, NOT RUSSIA. He has no say!
Why not let him have a say? Extend our first amendment rights to a foreigner.You know about those amendments I`m sure.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:28 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,108,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
the fact that you are wrong does.

Here is a nice little easy to see map on the murder rate in the US compared to other countries including Russia. Homicide rates: Murder most foul | The Economist

That little girl may have very well saved her own life using that gun, and she has every right to do it as far as I am concerned, screw these countries and their dumb laws.

Fact is it has been shown time and time again gun control laws do not make the streets safer, in fact in most situations crime gets worse as then only criminals have guns.
Please explain why in your graph, where there is gun control, Australia has lower homicide rates then?

(although I understand for some posters, this is irrelevant as its considering another country )

Old 10-21-2012, 05:44 PM

37,960 posts, read 22,137,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post

12-Year-Old Girl Shoots Intruder During Home Invasion - NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - KOTV.com |

My liberal friend said that the girl used excessive force. Maybe she should have tried to hold his hand and sing Kumbaya.
Brave girl, thank goodness she had a gun, or she might have been the next dead little girl, laying face down in a field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies