Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2012, 09:50 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
In all likelihood, you live in an area where you have a better chance of a piano falling out of the sky on you than your family being attacked, but keep up the armed vigilance.
Tell me what area that would be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 09:53 AM

1,725 posts, read 2,068,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
What part of the murder rate per capita being 3 times higher in Russia is so hard to understand, blame it on vodka all you want, but at the end of the day you are 3 times more likely to be murdered in Russia then you are in the United States.
I am about a trillion times less likely to be murdered here than in US. Almost all murders here are so called "domestic murders" - such as two drunks began fighting, and one fell very unfortunately.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:55 AM

1,725 posts, read 2,068,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Maybe the girl should have just stayed passive and let the courts work it out after the fact....
Or maybe she (or her mother) should have called cops, and run away?

Old 10-21-2012, 10:03 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,863,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Areas with stricter gun laws, have more crime.. The reason of course is because criminals know the victims will be unarmed..
What a false statement this is.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:17 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,245,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Please show me what law says you cant leave a 12 year old home alone ever..
The state of Oklahoma has no law as such on the books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
....and yet the 12 year old did everything right. In this situation what could an 18 year old girl do that is any different?
I wouldn't say the 12 y.o. did everything right, shooting someone isn't exactly a right thing to do, had it of been my child, I would never leave him/her home alone in the first place, too many things can happen to a child.

Hypothetically an 18 y.o. might in some cases fight off an attacker, who knows? I would imagine that would depend upon the situation.

I expect to be attacked for my opinions, bring it on, my skin is 1/2 inch thick.

Last edited by NoJiveMan; 10-21-2012 at 10:28 AM..

Old 10-21-2012, 10:23 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,274,533 times
Good for her, but I hope her parents will be looking after her, and making sure she sees a professional, in case she has been affected emotionally and mentally.

No child should be left with the idea that she caused harm to another person, but only when she needed to defend herself.

To the OP. your friend is an idiot.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:33 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,377,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
I expect to be attacked for my opinions, bring it on, my skin is 1/2 inch thick.
Oh good, then you're safe in case an intruder in your home is armed.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:50 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,958,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
What part of the murder rate per capita being 3 times higher in Russia is so hard to understand, blame it on vodka all you want, but at the end of the day you are 3 times more likely to be murdered in Russia then you are in the United States.

Exactly. I find it hard to comprehend a Russian complaining about the murder rate in the US knowing Russian and USSR history.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:53 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,245,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Oh good, then you're safe in case an intruder in your home is armed.
Dear redneck, in the area in which I reside now, there are 4 duplex apartments. Two of these duplexes contain people who Kenosha County and the State of WisconSIN have early prisoner release detainees. These detainees, reside in housing such as mine, until such time as they prove to the court system that they can once again be good citizens.

Last summer, one of those detainees for some reason thought that our apartment was his, and began jiggling my doorknob to try to enter our apartment.

Since I'm physically unable to defend myself, what do you think I did when this intruder finally gained entry into our apartment?

I turned my dog loose on him, and peanut gobbled him up, peanut didn't leave a scrap or hint that anything had ever happened.

So for you, or anyone else who wants protection from burglers, rapists, crime in general, get yourself a dog.
Would you mess with a dog that had a mouth this big?

Old 10-21-2012, 11:06 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,377,286 times
Dear Senior
I have two 60 lb dogs. Both of them leave piles of excrement that are larger than your dog.
One of them has already successfully dissuaded an intruder from entering my office at my place of work in an old industrial building. Our house is probably not the first choice of any intruders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies