Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 09:26 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post
Just about any developed country, except America.l.
Lie, crime exists everywhere.. Who are you trying to kid?
Quote:
She had time to call her mom, and receive instructions to get a gun and hide.

To all people, who have sh.t in place of a grey matter: the absolutely best way for this girl to protect herself would be to run outside! A gun may not protect (it may even put in a much greater danger) an adult man, let alone a little girl.
Yes, she had time to do the right thing, while you want to criticize her for it because of some utopia world you imagine where unicorns exist..

She very likely might not have had time to call her mother, if the door was unlocked for example and the guy just walked in..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 09:34 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,825,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Here's a real simple explanation that even your libbie friend should understand:

If you don't want to be shot don't break into someone's house.
He must have got a pleasant surprise when he turned the closet door nob and a bullet came tearing out as his reward...This guy who breaks into homes is capable of a lot of things...say the girl was unarmed...would he have killed her so she could not identify him? Would he have raped the child?

If someone breaks into your home....they deserve what they get- You don't do such things...I don't do such things...creeps do such things....It is comforting to know that the guy lived...but he sure learned a lesson....don't offend others...or something might just jump up and bite you...He is lucky the bullet did not hit a vital organ....Any liberal that says it was excessive force...is off the mark...I am sure the girl does not want to kill anyone...and did her best to protect herself...

Old 10-21-2012, 09:39 AM

1,725 posts, read 2,068,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I find it ironic YOU want to give people advice yet YOU show more immaturity with your insulting remarks then this young girl did.
The fact that I'm aggressive doesn't nullify my point.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:42 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,750,133 times
Quote:
the fact that you are wrong does.

Here is a nice little easy to see map on the murder rate in the US compared to other countries including Russia. Homicide rates: Murder most foul | The Economist

That little girl may have very well saved her own life using that gun, and she has every right to do it as far as I am concerned, screw these countries and their dumb laws.

Fact is it has been shown time and time again gun control laws do not make the streets safer, in fact in most situations crime gets worse as then only criminals have guns.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
the murder rate is 15 people per 100,000 in Russia, and right around 5 in the United States, yet the US has the gun problem?
Is it really too hard to comprehend this:

Quote:
violent crimes here involve vodka, not poverty and guns. So, if a 12 yo girl doesn't hang out with outclass drunks - she's not in danger.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:47 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,500,035 times
Well; as a Canadian my .02cents probably won't carry any more weight than .01 cents worth but here goes anyway.

Without actually being there to watch this event unfold.

Parents had abviously spent at least a bit of time familiarizing their daughter with the function of this firearm.

Mother had to think on the run of what would be best case for survival of her daughter.

Intruder was in house. Most houses have one set of stairs or one hallway to the bedroom area. insturctions to run outside and encountering the intruder at that "choke point" could have factored into her decision to instruct her daughter to get the family weapon and hide in a closet.

Here's where my thinking might diverge from the norm. I think this thug did the worst crime thinkable in creating the situation of that 12 year old being put through how many minutes of abject fear for her future. Try and put yourself in her shoes for just one second and also for that of the parent who is rushing to the scene expecting to find what......?

Once a thug breaks into a house with an occupant he ceases to be a relatively benign thief; he is now a full blown intruder with all the possible ramifications that brings to the event. Him not knowing if anyone was home is no mitigating factor as to the seriousness of the crime.

Given similar circumstances paying out in a similar fashion there is not a poster on these boards that would not have advised there child to put their finger on the trigger of a 105 howitzer aimed downrange to alleviate any possible threat to their well-being.

Once I think of that cretin actually being in the house with all that might entail as a threat to a child my advice would be to reach for the flame thrower and don't worry one whit about what the rest of the world might think of my advice. I'll duke it out with the critics AFTER I've assured myself my child has the absolute best case scenario going for her survival and the rest of the planet can "eat ****" for all I'm going to concern myself with their platitudes.

At the end of the day: Kids alive and needing no medical attention other than counselling - felon has a hole in him and perhaps has been thoroughly discouraged from invading anybody elses (perhaps yours) home when he gets out of jail.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:47 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,750,133 times
Quote:
Is it really too hard to comprehend this:
What part of the murder rate per capita being 3 times higher in Russia is so hard to understand, blame it on vodka all you want, but at the end of the day you are 3 times more likely to be murdered in Russia then you are in the United States.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:49 AM

10,033 posts, read 9,512,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Your "liberal friend" is an idiot.

Hmmmm, a 12 year old left at home alone, that says alot. In most states, it is unlawful to leave children under a certain age unattended. Parent/s should be cited for child neglect. No parent in their right mind would leave a 12 y.o. home alone. Where was mom? at the tavern? boyfriends?

I am amazed at the amount of idiotic responses on this thread, nobody has said anything logical yet, or anything that makes sense, I didn't realize there were so many gun happy, blood thirsty people here.
....and yet the 12 year old did everything right. In this situation what could an 18 year old girl do that is any different?

Old 10-21-2012, 09:49 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,825,816 times
Quote:
Maybe the girl should have just stayed passive and let the courts work it out after the fact....If this girl was a 220 pound marshal artist hiding in the closet...And the break in artists opened the closet door and got this huge punch to the face at 200 pounds of pressure per square inch...crushing his criminal yap...that would have been aggressive also...I have an associate who is an aging biker type...He takes care of some property in the hood...If some crack head comes by and causes some malicious damage ...He does not call the police ....he gets aggressive...He punches them out in broad day light right on the street where they stand...

None of these guys re-offend again....Yes he takes the law into his own hands...If he waits for the authorities to resolve the problem.....nothing would get done....

One crack head summoned the cops after being god smacked by the biker...it was so silly...a female cop shows up...she weighs in at 90 pounds and if 5 feet tall...and she wants to discuss the matter..and find out what the "history" of the situation is...There is no history..you damage something- or steal something- You get beaten about the head and humiliated..............OLD FASHIONED AGGRESSION WORKS.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
Here is a nice little easy to see map on the murder rate in the US compared to other countries including Russia. Homicide rates: Murder most foul | The Economist
According to this map - US sucks. But this is unrelated to the topic.

Quote:
That little girl may have very well saved her own life using that gun
Could she just leave the house?

Quote:
Fact is it has been shown time and time again gun control laws do not make the streets safer, in fact in most situations crime gets worse as then only criminals have guns.
If you make only one "street" gun free - sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies