Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2012, 12:13 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,750,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgore78 View Post
I'm just curious, how many people commenting on this are from Oklahoma?
we have the "make my day law" here. citizens of the state of Oklahoma have
the right to expect absolute safety within their homes or places of
business. (yes, the law was just expanded to include your work). I've lived in
Tulsa my entire life. the only thing that little girl did wrong was she stopped
shooting before he stopped breathing. I own many rifles, shotguns, and a few
handguns. all of which my 12 year old daughter uses very well. moral of the story,
if you break into a house in Oklahoma (or Texas for that matter) be prepared to pay
the consequence. someone should give her a medal

I am personally from Colorado, and we a make my day law that is if someone is on your property, I don't believe there is a difference between residence or commercial as long as you own it. I have no problem with the law and was taught at a very young age how to be responsible with a gun as was my wife and when he is old enough my son will know. I agree that little girl may suffer mentally from shooting this guy, but she did the right thing in protecting herself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 12:49 AM

15,534 posts, read 10,510,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post

12-Year-Old Girl Shoots Intruder During Home Invasion - NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - KOTV.com |

My liberal friend said that the girl used excessive force. Maybe she should have tried to hold his hand and sing Kumbaya.
This same guy was involved in an Amber Alert a couple of years ago, looks like the charges might have been dropped. Though it looks like they booked him this time for robbery, he very well could have been going in there for her. Don't most thieves just grab a tv and run, why look in the closet. That's creepy. http://www.durantdemocrat.com/view/f...home_news_lead She got him in the shoulder, he spent one night in the hospital, not very serious. Twelve is the age my kids started staying by themselves and when they started babysitting. I hope he goes away for a long time.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:49 AM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
I don't see anything wrong with what happened here and I see no problem with her being home alone at age 12. I'm a little surprised that the guy went to the closet and didn't hear her talking on the phone even if she was being quiet...sound travels when you are skulking around an "empty" house. If he heard her and went to the closet anyway she was right to expect the worst.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:04 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,325,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post
We can't really blame a little girl, so it's about the system. My take - her parents should be prosecuted, and not lightly.
Parents of a little girl can't be prosecuted for her protecting herself.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:06 AM

Quote:
To all people, who have sh.t in place of a grey matter: the absolutely best way for this girl to protect herself would be to run outside! A gun may not protect (it may even put in a much greater danger) an adult man, let alone a little girl.
Run outside? What if the thief had an accomplice waiting outside? The girl could have run into even more danger.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:08 AM

Quote:
They won't have much time, because cops will arrive in 2-5 minutes.
There is saying that goes, "When seconds count, the cops will be there in minutes."

Old 10-22-2012, 01:40 AM

1,725 posts, read 2,068,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Or other Russians might agree that the girl and parents were justified and it is that you just don't agree.
Such news are published here as "look how outrageous life in America is".

Quote:
It has nothing to do with a system, it has to do with crime which every country experiences to a degree and the right for someone to defend themselves.
A child with a gun is not about property protection.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
There is nothing wrong with having an opinion, I just find it immature to insult people using your choice of gutter trash words, just because they DON'T agree with you.
Nope, not disagreeing with me, but trying to portray this situation as a self-defense, while the absolutely best way to avoid danger would be to run away.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
Without knowing the layout of the house, it is impossible for anyone to say one way or the other. It is entirely possible that once he kicked the back door in, she was no longer in any position to leave the house without being seen and caught.
If she could speak with her mother - I'm perfectly sure that she could leave the house.

Quote:
Also, in one of you posts, you stated 2 to 5 minutes for police to respond. But with a knife, it only take 2 to 5 seconds to cut someone's throat.
She talked with mom, got a gun, hid, waited...

Quote:
But, with your statements, I have to wonder... Do you wish (for some reason or other) that it would be easier for criminals to do things like this????
That's what matters:

Burglaries in a gun-free Russia: 2 per minute. In a gun-filled US: 4 per minute. Per capita the number is the same.

Quote:
The odd part against your argument is that hand guns are illegal in Canada, yet check the statistics and see just how many crimes are committed with hand guns in Canada each year.
30% of all crimes vs 70% in US. And number of gun murders is 6 times less.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Parents of a little girl can't be prosecuted for her protecting herself.
For allowing her access to a gun.

Quote:
Run outside? What if the thief had an accomplice waiting outside? The girl could have run into even more danger.
It's pathetic to use fantasy as an excuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies