Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2012, 03:15 AM

1,725 posts, read 2,068,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The right to bear arms is granted to US citizens by our Constitution. That document has served us well for over two hundred years. The system is not the problem. The problem is human predators, and they live in every country in the world. In the US, we have the option to use guns to protect ourselves against them.
I would accept this, if you had low crime rates - but that's not the case. Statistically, the only thing guns do, is cause shootings.

Quote:
Russia to set up anti-pedophile squads | Russia & India Report

It looks as if Russia is not immune to child murders, huh?
Sure, we've got our share of ill people. But I can't imagine how guns would save those kids.

Quote:
No, you cannot be sure that she could leave the house.
In the lack of complete info, we should choose the most probable scenario.

Quote:
Pedophile? Probably. His initial motive may have been theft, but it is reasonable to suspect that motive may have changed when he realized the girl was there.

By the way, Jones is 5 ft 10 in tall and weighs 300 pounds.
Which only reassures my point that the absolutely best way for the girl to protect herself, would be to run away. Guns are not guaranteed to stop a man, especially a huge man, shot by a little girl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Completely off-topic and has nothing to do with this thread. Is that all you got?
Totally on-topic, because a "thief must die" is a very American thing. And it's very racist, even today.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
It was at least another minute before the dispatcher told her to go outside, the police were there.
How long did it take her to talk with her mom, and go to a closet?

Old 10-23-2012, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Do they even have left vs right in Russia
Yes, we've got pro-gun righties, and totally anti-gun left.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
So.... Are you telling us that a 12 year-old girl does not have any right to defend herself??????

What do the children in Russia do? DIE?????
Some claimed that she's a hero for successfully defending the PROPERTY.

Quote:
My kids started learning about guns before they were 10 years of age. How to shoot, and especially the fact that once you pull that trigger, you can not call the bullet back. So, if you point the weapon and shoot, you better be sure you want your target to be shot.
Nothing wrong with that. But you (unlike people in Russia) also need to teach them, what to do if a back-alley robber puts a gun against your head, or your friend starts putting bullets in all kids in a school.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
She was connected to the 9-1-1 dispatcher when she shot him.
She was connected when she was in a closet already. Some time lost. Plus, I really doubt cops would issue her the same instructions as her mother - they would tell her to run, because it's way safer than trying to shoot a criminal.

Quote:
But, if he's looking in a closet in a kid's room, he's not a thief.
I doubt a closet with a family gun was in a kid's room.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Edited to add: The house does not appear to have any nearby neighbors. If she had tried to leave the house, there was no place safe to go to.
There's a house right across the street on a video.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:45 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,638,670 times
God bless her!

One has a God-ordained right to protect themselves and their family, and this is a prime example how having a gun on hand prevented this young lady from likely rape, kidnapping, or murder or possibly all three combined.

Make the guns illegal, and the crooked will still get them; but you will have taken away the ability for the young girl or the family to defend itself.

The issue is not the gun, but the person. Taking away the guns out of the hands of the people is not going to take them away from the criminals.

What would be the fate of this young girl if she did not shoot?

What if it was your child?

A prime example how removing the guns from the populace is not the answer. Lord bless and comfort this young girl.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:49 AM

30,360 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post
Yes, we've got pro-gun righties, and totally anti-gun left.
I guess you do have one thing in common with Americans, then!

I'm actually of Russian heritage myself, but my family has been here for three generations... so I know little of Russian politics, aside from what a good friend from Moscow has told me. He's mostly just anti-establishment altogether, though.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:52 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,825,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post
I would accept this, if you had low crime rates - but that's not the case. Statistically, the only thing guns do, is cause shootings.

Sure, we've got our share of ill people. But I can't imagine how guns would save those kids.

In the lack of complete info, we should choose the most probable scenario.

Which only reassures my point that the absolutely best way for the girl to protect herself, would be to run away. Guns are not guaranteed to stop a man, especially a huge man, shot by a little girl.
The most HUGE man will have second thoughts once he has a hole or two in him. "shot by a little girl"..?

What does the size of the person firing the weapon have to do with anything?.........Statistically guns do cause nothing but more shootings..but in this case there is poetic justice..That a mere child repelled this creep by pointing and pulling the trigger. I see your point..the problem with guns in America is that even the most unintelligent people can acquire a fire arm...Stupid people need guns - intelligent people do not need guns...People with a higher level of intelligence will not live in an area where there is crime. They avoid those that are violent and stupid...The greatest weapon is the mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies