Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 03:35 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,088,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The problem is that schizophrenics, if not closely monitored, will go off of their medication. It is not a question of if but when.
I seriously doubt that you can make a case that spree/mass shootings are the result of schizophrenia which is a very specific form of mental illness and appears to result in less violence being committed than depression, bipolar disorder, psychotic disorders, substance abuse or other personality disorders.
MacArthur Risk Assessment Study, estimated the prevalence of community violence in discharged patients by diagnosis. Violence was measured from multiple sources every 10 weeks for a year. Of the 17% of patients with a diagnosis of schizophrenia, 9% were violent in the first 20 weeks after discharge. This compares with a violence prevalence of 19% for depression, 15% for bipolar disorder, 17.2% for other psychotic disorders, 29% for substance misuse disorders and 25% for personality disorder alone. The fact that this and other studies have found rates of violence to be lower in those with schizophrenia than in those with other diagnoses (Harris et al, 1993; Wallace et al, 1998) should not be misinterpreted to suggest that schizophrenia may be irrelevant or even a protective factor against violence. It is probably true that schizophrenia is less of a violence risk than substance misuse, personality disorder and possibly other mental disorders, but when compared with the general population, as this review amply demonstrates, the evidence is overwhelmingly in favour of an increased risk of violent behaviour.
Violence and schizophrenia: examining the evidence

As for the perceived rise in the number of mass shootings, I found this but I don't attest to it's accuracy or validity.

http://boston.com/community/blogs/cr...01980-2010.jpg

Old 10-21-2012, 03:37 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,745,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Why is it so much higher here than nearly every other Western nation? For instance, why is there so little in Canada? The cold?
i wonder what the canadian demographics are. i wonder what their % of asians is.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:38 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,379,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
And maybe they do need to be monitored. Maybe they should be required to report to some place every day and take their medicine under supervision, but I don't think the mentally ill should be locked up other than as an absolute last resort.
There have been so many cuts in funding for the mentally ill, its ridiculous. NAMI of Oklahoma was cut below a skeleton crew. You never know if anyone will be there to answer the phone or not. Also, the "homes" for the mentally ill in Oklahoma (as I'm sure there are in other states) are disgusting. There is definitely a need for more. And, they are government funded, but, the "home" gets to pick and choose who they take for residency. I think Parkside hospital in Tulsa is good, or really, most of the hospitals in Tulsa. I think you can find a better "home" for them too, in Tulsa. They seem to really care about getting the individual better, whereas OKC seems to treat them as just another person to get in, get meds, get out.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:40 PM

709 posts, read 657,392 times
Quote:
Out of all the statistics involving Scotland, why did you choose that it is 98% Caucasian in a thread dealing with a mass killing?
How is it none of you have connected the racial statistic to the overarching point of having a homogenous population?

That seems like an exceptionally easy connection to me...

Old 10-21-2012, 03:46 PM

7,966 posts, read 9,180,543 times
Must be the haggis. That must be what makes them so peaceful. Can't murder someone when you are doubled over with gas pains, lol

Old 10-21-2012, 03:48 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,758,067 times
Quote:
Why did you pick the proportion of Caucasians in Scotland as a useful statistic in explaining why Scotland has less murders than the US?
Then why do people always bring up countries like Scotland or Sweden into these discussions?

Why not just pick some non-white country with gun laws like Mexico and compare us with it's homicide rates?

Old 10-21-2012, 03:50 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,161,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Then why do people always bring up countries like Scotland or Sweden into these discussions?

Why not just pick some non-white country with gun laws like Mexico and compare us with it's homicide rates?
I didn't realize people always bring up Scotland or Sweden. Can you point me towards those threads? Usually, we get brilliant points from gun fondlers that since DC has a gun ban, there shouldn't be any guns there.

Now, why was the 98% Caucasian number relevant, again?

Old 10-21-2012, 03:54 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,745,578 times
Quote:
I didn't realize people always bring up Scotland or Sweden. Can you point me towards those threads? Usually, we get brilliant points from gun fondlers that since DC has a gun ban, there shouldn't be any guns there.

Now, why was the 98% Caucasian number relevant, again?
ive seen scotland and switzerland here that i can remember. usually people just go "western europe" which is made up of verrrry heterogeneous countries.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:54 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,758,067 times
Quote:
Why is it so much higher here than nearly every other Western nation? For instance, why is there so little in Canada? The cold?
How about Brazil with it's much more restrictive gun laws than ours? How does it compare?

It's pretty obvious that gun laws alone are not a factor. "Diversity", population density and crowding, lack of moral values, drug use and addiction may all be factors you should consider. Mexico for example has very strict gun laws.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:55 PM

40,956 posts, read 49,255,141 times
Let's see... Scotland is maybe comparable size and population to Minnesota ? Last I heard the crime rate in MN was fairly low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.