Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 04:04 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Let's see... Scotland is maybe comparable size and population to Minnesota ? Last I heard the crime rate in MN was fairly low.
"Comparable" population size is a meaningless statistics which is why we use ratios for comparative data like percentages. rates and enumerate per capita to control for population size.

PS - I currently don't have a dog in this fight.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:06 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
"Comparable" population size is a meaningless statistics which is why we use ratios for comparative data like percentages. rates and enumerate per capita to control for population size.

PS - I currently don't have a dog in this fight.
you are right except that id figure if the population is comparable, you can compare the numbers of criminal acts and the rates should be comparable.

for example, if scotland and minnesota both have 5 million people, you can say scotland had 90 murders and minnesota had 70 murders and it would mean something.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:15 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
We have a problem in this country folks!

Deputies Search for Suspect in Wis. Mall Shooting - ABC News
I agree, the frequency of these since the 2008 crash is chilling.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:21 PM

29,492 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
oh, clearly i was pointing out that no white person has never murdered anybody.
I don't think you where going for that. I would like to add though, look at some of the cities that have the highest gun related murders. I see New Orleans, St. Louis, Baltimore, Detroit, Newark, Oakland, and Washington are at the top of the list. What are the demographics of these cities ? Is it just coincidence that more than a few of the cities listed that have the highest gun related crime also have the highest concentration of blacks ? Obviously blacks are not the only ones that commit gun related crime but from a quick look they certainly seem to be the highest offenders. Is it also a coincidence that black males have the highest incarceration rate of any race ? Now before everyone goes off an labels me a racist, think about it. Actually go ahead an call me a racist, I'm just stating what I see on the news reports in my area and what I've researched on google. The question is what is going on in the black culture ? Why is this happening ? I'm going to go out on a limb and say that allowing generations of families to grow up on welfare , abusing the system is the issue. Lack of parenting, lack of direction, lack of goals.. "everything is owed to me" type of mentality is the issue. Take the guns away and I bet crime will still be high in these cities. The gun related crime in these cities is completely different than for instance some one walking into a theater and shooting as many people as possible. Some of it is gang related, drug related , domestic , car jacking, and just plan hold ups. The other thing (mass shootings) is just someone just completely wired wrong upstairs. Taking guns away from these people won't help either, they will find some other way to do it.
It's more than just a "take all the guns away" issue , there are some deep seeded issues in our society that are causing people to just not value someones life. Its easier to kill someone for those pair of shoes, or because you were bullied in school take the lives of other innocent people. All the PC liberal agenda BS hasn't done squat. It seems as if things are getting worse. Maybe it's time for harsher penalties for these crimes, not just a life sentence in prison were they get 3 squares, schooling, cable tv etc. Who knows what the answer is , but taking guns away isn't going to do it. It would only be a band aid , crime/murder would continue just in different ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies