Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 10:02 PM

32,833 posts, read 19,538,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
California has the hands down best weather in the country if not the world. Try again.
best weather

yes best mud slides...best wild fires...best earthquakes...

best weather is on the east coast
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 10:08 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,080,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
I wonder if you have ever lived in The Lone Star State and what you actually look for in a city/state: Texas - with the notable exception of Austin - doesn't offer a good quality of life AT ALL!
I'm so glad I don't live there anymore.
Houston area has a great quality of life as does Dallas Ft worth, Abaliene, San marcos, Tyler, San Antonio, and many other places

The fact that you said only Austin makes you obviously uninformed and nothing more than someone who has been brainwashed by liberal media outlets

Try thinking for yourself sometime

Signed..... the vast majority of people who love living in Texas

Old 10-31-2012, 10:12 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,241,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
In which quality-of-life standards do Red States fare better than Blue States?
Well, for starters, the US Census show that Southerners, while having lower household incomes, actually have substantially higher adjusted household incomes that states such as California or New York. The cost of just living in those states has become hideously expensive. So while you might get a bigger paycheck living in those two states, it doesn't go nearly as far as it would elsewhere.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:37 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,281,003 times
Blue states for the most part have the large cities, and quality of life is better in the major urban areas than rural areas. It has nothing to do with politics. Texas, a red state, has quality of life meeting and exceeding that of most blue states because its an urban state. Wealth has a lot to do with it. Red states generally have more poor people in the rural areas, and poor people are most of the time more religious. Because religion brings in social conservatism, that pushes the vote towards the Republicans.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:24 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,698,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
Unfortunately my experience in a red state was completely different
Small towns in red states are pretty bad places, though. The large metro areas less bad.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:30 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,698,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Houston area has a great quality of life as does Dallas Ft worth, Abaliene, San marcos, Tyler, San Antonio, and many other places

The fact that you said only Austin makes you obviously uninformed and nothing more than someone who has been brainwashed by liberal media outlets

Signed..... the vast majority of people who love living in Texas
But the heavy traffic in those biggest metros in Texas is awful.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:40 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,395,093 times
The "red-state" and "blue-state" divides are overly simplistic and often flat-out wrong. Individual Republicans tend to be wealthier than individual Democrats, however Democrats also tend to live in areas with a LOT of people (ie urban areas). Republicans tend to live in the suburbs and more rural settings. The lower the population density of an area, the less Republican, generally speaking. Also, Republican areas tend to be more homogenous in certain ways (especially race, but also often economic class, too), whereas Democrats will often live in areas that are racially diverse (namely, big cities and racially diverse suburbs).

Also, keep in mind that there are so many different flavors of Democrats, just as there are with Republicans as well. What I mean is that different people prioritize different issues. Some Republicans are supportive of Wall Street, other more supportive of Main Street. Some are pro-life, but there are many pro-choice Republicans in certain parts of the country. Some are against gay marriage, but not all. Some Republicans are supportive of free trade, others are more wary of it. Some Republicans fervently support the Tea Party, others not so much. Some Republicans are for an aggressive foreign policy, others are more non-interventionist. Many of these same divides within the GOP also apply to the Democrats, with the main difference being that the liberals outnumber and out-influence the moderates and conservatives in the Democratic Party, while it's the other way around (conservatives being by far the most important bloc) in the Republican Party.

My point is, you can't neatly divide the country into a simple "Red-state/Blue-state" polarization. Things are more nuanced and complex than that.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:38 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,597,019 times
Quote:

Houston? Dallas?
Wow, the world most beautiful cities
Also, brainwashed by liberal media?
You don't know what you're talking about: when I relocated to Texas I didn't know anthing about USA politics, but Austin immediately seemed to me a livable, nice city... I couldn't say the same about those giant, lifeless and UGLY suburbs called Houston and Dallas: I find more beauty, charm, SOUL and streetlife in one block of NYC, Portland and Boston than in the entire metropolitan areas of Dallas and Houston combined.

Last edited by italianuser; 11-01-2012 at 03:55 AM..

Old 11-01-2012, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Judging by your angry rants, I think we all see who the real hateful person is..... on behalf of all of us who are happy in life and loving our lives here..... THANK YOU for leaving..... please locate yourself in some bedwetting passive aggressive craphole in the Northeast......
I am not surprised that there are people who love living in Texas, not everyone is exigent and demanding
Crapholes in the Northeast?
Oh yes, there are unfortunately ugly cities in the Northeast, but - let's face it - Houston, Lubbock, Corpus Christi, Plano, El Paso and Dallas aren't beautiful at all: but if you like it, to each its own.

Last edited by italianuser; 11-01-2012 at 04:05 AM..

Old 11-01-2012, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, for starters, the US Census show that Southerners, while having lower household incomes, actually have substantially higher adjusted household incomes that states such as California or New York. The cost of just living in those states has become hideously expensive. So while you might get a bigger paycheck living in those two states, it doesn't go nearly as far as it would elsewhere.
In the blue states you also get better services, just have a look at the life expectancy: in NYS, Massachussets, Hawaii, Washington State and California people tend to live longer and healthier...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies