Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 05:00 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,084,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
In which quality-of-life standards do Red States fare better than Blue States?
Let's hear from the blue staters who move here in droves because they can't afford to live in the blue states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 05:16 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,697,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
Houston? Dallas?
Wow, the world most beautiful cities
Also, brainwashed by liberal media?
You don't know what you're talking about: when I relocated to Texas I didn't know anthing about USA politics, but Austin immediately seemed to me a livable, nice city... I couldn't say the same about those giant, lifeless and UGLY suburbs called Houston and Dallas: I find more beauty, charm, SOUL and streetlife in one block of NYC, Portland and Boston than in the entire metropolitan areas of Dallas and Houston combined.
It's clear from the angry rants what the problem is. I'm happy you don't like red states. Please stay blue.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:40 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,420,091 times
the red states try to depend on themselves with
no regard for the help they receive from blue
states, and in the blue states depend on each
other without denying the help from red states.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:08 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,796,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Let's hear from the blue staters who move here in droves because they can't afford to live in the blue states.
Well, that tends to prove the notion that people like blue states better. People flock to them in droves, which raises living costs, which unfortunately drives out many of the people who want to live there. Supply and Demand.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:28 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,080,151 times
Quote:
Houston? Dallas?
Wow, the world most beautiful cities
Also, brainwashed by liberal media?
You don't know what you're talking about: when I relocated to Texas I didn't know anthing about USA politics, but Austin immediately seemed to me a livable, nice city... I couldn't say the same about those giant, lifeless and UGLY suburbs called Houston and Dallas: I find more beauty, charm, SOUL and streetlife in one block of NYC, Portland and Boston than in the entire metropolitan areas of Dallas and Houston combined.
Portland maybe, but NYC has the most bland and lifeless zombie like people in it...... the city is a ****hole compared to the old days where it DID have soul.......

Houston has a higher pop density than Austin which you call a city and call Houston a suburb

Just shut it while you only look like a fool and not worse than that because every time you post acting like you know what you are talking about you only make yourself look worse......

If you hated these places so much why do you come off as so bitter, angry and jealous?

Just let it go and live your life like everyone does down here in Texas happily..... you might yet get to be happy in life if you let the resentments go of others being happy

Old 11-01-2012, 10:43 AM

78,643 posts, read 60,823,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
Interesting responses, but I'm talking about state-wide quality-of-life standards. Of course, there are pockets of nice and bad in every state, but the overall situation of the state shows a much clearer picture.
So, can someone give an actual answer to the original question?
This horse has been beaten to death in previous threads. Invariably, people trying to lump states as red or blue to make some sort of political attack come off looking ignorant.

It's halloween around here every day and we keep getting people "dressing up" as statistically trained analysts.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:53 AM

78,643 posts, read 60,823,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
The "red-state" and "blue-state" divides are overly simplistic and often flat-out wrong. Individual Republicans tend to be wealthier than individual Democrats, however Democrats also tend to live in areas with a LOT of people (ie urban areas). Republicans tend to live in the suburbs and more rural settings. The lower the population density of an area, the less Republican, generally speaking. Also, Republican areas tend to be more homogenous in certain ways (especially race, but also often economic class, too), whereas Democrats will often live in areas that are racially diverse (namely, big cities and racially diverse suburbs).

Also, keep in mind that there are so many different flavors of Democrats, just as there are with Republicans as well. What I mean is that different people prioritize different issues. Some Republicans are supportive of Wall Street, other more supportive of Main Street. Some are pro-life, but there are many pro-choice Republicans in certain parts of the country. Some are against gay marriage, but not all. Some Republicans are supportive of free trade, others are more wary of it. Some Republicans fervently support the Tea Party, others not so much. Some Republicans are for an aggressive foreign policy, others are more non-interventionist. Many of these same divides within the GOP also apply to the Democrats, with the main difference being that the liberals outnumber and out-influence the moderates and conservatives in the Democratic Party, while it's the other way around (conservatives being by far the most important bloc) in the Republican Party.

My point is, you can't neatly divide the country into a simple "Red-state/Blue-state" polarization. Things are more nuanced and complex than that.
The problem around here is that the more education you receive the more you are able to appreciate the complexity of a topic.

It's amazing, do these same posters run over to say...the photography forum and start telling people how to take pictures when they've never taken a photography class or owned a camera outside their cellphone?

Sigh.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:16 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,596,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Portland maybe, but NYC has the most bland and lifeless zombie like people in it...... the city is a ****hole compared to the old days where it DID have soul.......
Oh yes, I remember NYC during the '70 and the '80: it had soul (and it still has) but also a lot of violence and blight

Quote:
Houston has a higher pop density than Austin which you call a city and call Houston a suburb
But Austin has a walkable, livable, nice urban core, whereas Houston still lacks a real one... unbelievable for such a big city...

Quote:
you hated these places so much why do you come off as so bitter, angry and jealous?
Jealous about Houston and Dallas?

Old 11-01-2012, 01:22 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,970,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Well, that tends to prove the notion that people like blue states better. People flock to them in droves, which raises living costs, which unfortunately drives out many of the people who want to live there. Supply and Demand.

Perhaps you should enroll in a reading comprehension course. They flock to the Red states from the Blue states. Capeesh?

Old 11-01-2012, 01:32 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,513,144 times
Quote:
I am not surprised that there are people who love living in Texas, not everyone is exigent and demanding

Attached Thumbnails
Red States-elex.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies