Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2020, 07:19 PM

16,234 posts, read 5,917,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Exaggerating and bringing up a long ago past isn't helping to make your case. Menstruating is a natural function where a woman doesn't have a choice and shouldn't be shamed for it. IMO, a woman has a choice before engaging in sex and she knows full well that her choice of having sex could result in a pregnancy. That choice shouldn't be extended to killing her unborn child unless her life will be in danger giving birth. It's not just men who disagree with abortion but their are millions of pro-life females also.
Exaggerating? Not at all. Most first world countries do in fact recognize a woman's right to chose abortion.

Men love to legislate and control women. No denying that. Thats why there are so many victims of spousal abuse. Some do it with their fists and some attempt to do it through legislation.

Bible bangers and Muslims following Sharia law. Not much difference so it applies. How many of those women who support a ban on choice also victim shame the rape victim? If only they dressed like a lady. right? You yourself do it with your argument that most unwanted pregnancy happens because the people were irresponsible. So what if it does. We have a medical solution.

Here are some other things that happen due to people screwing up. Obesity, diabetes, back injuries, cancers, deafness, blindness. Should we deny people the medical care of choice because "
hey they screwed up?"

Those pro-life females. Anyone put a gun to their heads forcing them to get abortions? NO? Then maybe they should mind their own business. How many of them are pro-life and anti-abortion due to religious reasons? Separation of church and state.

I have no heartburn with people who are pro-life. That is until they start trying to legislate their views onto others. Abortion is a medical procedure, a medical choice. People need to mind their own business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2020, 07:19 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,374,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Once you admit that under one circumstance abortion is not murder, then you have to accept that for other people abortion is not murder under other circumstances, and by the legal definition of murder, legal abortion is not murder under any circumstances.

It is not what you would do, but for women who choose abortion after contraceptive failure that is an alternative that does not go against their personal ethics. You do not get to dictate what other people find to be ethical.
Personally, I believe that there is one best set of ethics for everybody, and people can be wrong about it...but I will say that I would not want that legislated. We should not be legislating philosophy, if possible. Because, especially regarding topics like the meaning and value of life and how to treat it, you're going to have a lot of different valid opinions, and if we try to mandate one of them, most people will be unhappy.

Old 10-16-2020, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Reading comprehension problem? I have said several times that if the mother's life is in danger then she should be allowed an abortion. You can't save her and her unborn child to so what's the point of ending the life of a born human being with family friends and a life already and leaving a baby motherless? So no, it's not murder it's saving the life of the mother. If the mother chooses to take that risk anyway then so be it. No one can be forced to get an abortion.

You keep going back to the failure of contraceptives and I keep telling you that if used properly most of the time it won't but a woman who doesn't want to get pregnant needs to measure those risks before engaging in sex and not have it in her head "oh well if the contraceptive doesn't work I'll just abort".
See how casually you're treating human life? You demand that, if it happens by accident, you want a person to grow out of that. Like I've been saying, you don't appear to care about anything except your silly rule...when it comes to this topic.

You're refusing to pull the lever, that would make the trolley run over 1 person rather than 3, just because you have a problem with pulling lever.

Old 10-16-2020, 07:25 PM

16,234 posts, read 5,917,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
Saying yes to sex isn’t saying yes to pregnancy and parenthood especially in today’s world.
Those damned horny women are so irresponsible. All they want to do is go get abortions and kill babies.

Old 10-16-2020, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That's also total BS. 55% of all US 1040 filers are federal income tax slaves for part of every year while 45% of all US 1040 filers are not (they pay no federal income tax whatsoever). Taking the fruits of one's labors while not taking the same from others absolutely is condemning just some but not all to slavery.
That's not slavery...and it's off topic.

Old 10-16-2020, 07:33 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,921,446 times
Abortion is a privilege to an unethical procedure I don't oppose granting, but don't try to tell me it's a right and not a privilege and it's a good thing .

Old 10-16-2020, 07:45 PM

37,326 posts, read 41,575,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
Personally, I believe that there is one best set of ethics for everybody, and people can be wrong about it...but I will say that I would not want that legislated. We should not be legislating philosophy, if possible. Because, especially regarding topics like the meaning and value of life and how to treat it, you're going to have a lot of different valid opinions, and if we try to mandate one of them, most people will be unhappy.
Any of us probably believes his own ethical framework is the best. I personally can allow that for another person another framework might be best. With regards to abortion, I know there are women who have abortions who had been opposed to them until faced with an unwanted pregnancy themselves.

I agree that there should be no mandate (law) that prescribes a particular set of ethics. That way lies theocracy.

Old 10-16-2020, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Abortion is a privilege to an unethical procedure I don't oppose granting, but don't try to tell me it's a right and not a privilege and it's a good thing .
No...it's a right. Here's why:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/59424676-post757.html

It's a right, not a privilige, because removing it would cause nothing but harm for society in a totally pointless way. It's a right in the same sense that not having laws that we are legally mandated to kick ourselves in the face every Thursday is a right. This is the only sensible way of looking at this. Plenty of people don't understand that. Some of them just haven't thought about it enough. Other people just, plain, don't understand how proper reasoning processes work and I'm sure this haunts them in their daily lives all the time, any time they're dealing with abstract moral conundrums. They probably just do what everybody else does in those situations or something.

Old 10-16-2020, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Any of us probably believes his own ethical framework is the best. I personally can allow that for another person another framework might be best. With regards to abortion, I know there are women who have abortions who had been opposed to them until faced with an unwanted pregnancy themselves.

I agree that there should be no mandate (law) that prescribes a particular set of ethics. That way lies theocracy.
I think I can explain exactly why I think mine is the best though, in a way that proves it. I just haven't done it here because it'd be off topic...but again, I agree about the theocracy and whatnot. We have no choice but to get along and create a society that enables that. That means giving people a lot of freedom with these sorts of complex, abstract, issues.

Old 10-16-2020, 08:28 PM

63,419 posts, read 29,448,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Exaggerating? Not at all. Most first world countries do in fact recognize a woman's right to chose abortion.

Men love to legislate and control women. No denying that. Thats why there are so many victims of spousal abuse. Some do it with their fists and some attempt to do it through legislation.

Bible bangers and Muslims following Sharia law. Not much difference so it applies. How many of those women who support a ban on choice also victim shame the rape victim? If only they dressed like a lady. right? You yourself do it with your argument that most unwanted pregnancy happens because the people were irresponsible. So what if it does. We have a medical solution.

Here are some other things that happen due to people screwing up. Obesity, diabetes, back injuries, cancers, deafness, blindness. Should we deny people the medical care of choice because "
hey they screwed up?"

Those pro-life females. Anyone put a gun to their heads forcing them to get abortions? NO? Then maybe they should mind their own business. How many of them are pro-life and anti-abortion due to religious reasons? Separation of church and state.

I have no heartburn with people who are pro-life. That is until they start trying to legislate their views onto others. Abortion is a medical procedure, a medical choice. People need to mind their own business.
When people get obese, have diabetes, back injuries, etc. and seek treatment for them is an innocent human being killed with no say in it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies