Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2012, 02:06 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,089,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Obviously, the law, and our defense, should be equal.
Good.

We just differ then on whether it might be "worth the risk" or not.

Why is is it "worth the risk" for you to steal those signs?

Old 11-05-2012, 02:07 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,367,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Certainly - but your saying so now doesn't jive with your earlier hope that I pay a fine.

I would hope that you would not wish to steal signs at all - or if you do then take responsibility for your actions.

Otherwise, you just being hypocritical.
Sure it does. I hope that you get caught and have to pay the fine.
I hope that I don't get caught and if I do get caught, I hope I get off without having to pay the fine.
I hope that the law is applied equally in both cases.

Quote:
How come stealing signs supporting marriage between a man and a woman is "worth the risk", but stealing signs supporting gay marriage is absolutely wrong?
I do not believe that to be true.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Sure it does. I hope that you get caught and have to pay the fine.
I hope that I don't get caught and if I do get caught, I hope I get off without having to pay the fine.
I hope that the law is applied equally in both cases.
Why should I have to pay a fine but you shouldn't?

Our crimes would have been equal.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Why should I have to pay a fine but you shouldn't?

Our crimes would have been equal.
I didn't say that.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:12 AM

3,448 posts, read 3,141,449 times
He's also comfortable with adding to the list of expense's SSM assumes in medical research together, with the already ill-affordable Judicial System plus Order, all because breaking the law is the only creative idea that is possible to express an opinion.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:16 AM

Quote:
I didn't say that.
You did say that you might take the risk in stealing the signs - which would appear to mean that you would feel justified in doing so.

Breaking the law because you think that it is wrong is known as civil disobedience - and usually those engaging in CD will accept the consequences because being jailed or fined helps bring attention to their cause.

So - is it worth the risk or not?

Quote:
If the signs were there legally, then it was illegal to destroy them.

I may have also taken the risk

Old 11-05-2012, 02:17 AM

Quote:
You did say that you might take the risk in stealing the signs - which would appear to mean that you would feel justified in doing so.

Breaking the law because you think that it is wrong is known as civil disobedience - and usually those engaging in CO will accept the consequences because being jailed or fined helps bring attention to their cause.

So - is it worth the risk or not?
This is not difficult to understand.

I might take the risk in destroying the signs.

If I were caught I would then decide how to approach the case legally.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:20 AM

Quote:
This is not difficult to understand.

I might take the risk in destroying the signs.

If I were caught I would then decide how to approach the case legally.
OK - I however, would never think of stealing your signs - because doing so is wrong.

Here is your opportunity to say the same thing - otherwise you are admitting that breaking the law is the method that you would choose to use to further your cause.

If you have to resort to lawbreaking - your case must be really weak to begin with.

Arguing the merits is a much better tactic - rather then suppressing the other sides message.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:22 AM

Quote:
OK - I however, would never think of stealing your signs - because doing so is wrong.
I'm sure that I do lots of things that you would consider wrong.

And they aren't my signs

Quote:
Here is your opportunity to say the same thing - otherwise you are admitting that breaking the law is the method that you would choose to use to further your cause.
I've already stated multiple times that I may or may not steal the signs.

Quote:
If you have to resort to lawbreaking - your case must be really weak to begin with.
That's not true. One can have a perfectly good case and still break the law.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:26 AM

3,448 posts, read 3,141,449 times
all your explaining is that you are a trouble causer and will consider costing extra tax dollars out of the economy for it....so theres no credibility for the position, you have no case to argue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies