Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2012, 10:14 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,278,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Would you support the same being done for signs promoting gay marriage?

Because it seems that you are condonng the actions of these people.

These people are vandals and lawbreakers. Is that whom you support?
What I'm condoning and supporting is American citizens caring enough about a subject (whatever it is) to express their beliefs and make their opinions known. It's a sign we're still breathing in this country and were blessed by God to have a system that says we're allowed to protest. And my view on that is the same regardless of what is on the sign being yanked out of the ground and tossed in the trash.

In that particular scenario I don't consider yanking out a few signs vandalism, BTW. Vandalism would be spray-painting "Death to (Whomever I Don't Like)" across a building you don't own.

Supporting lawbreakers? Yes. I guess I do that too. In the 60's and 70's some very brave people broke laws to protest discrimination against Black citizens and the war in Vietnam. Life is not neat and tidy. Sometimes you have to break the law to do what you believe in and to bring change.

If someone believes gays shouldn't be allowed to marry they have a right to put out a sign. But don't be all shocked and get your knickers in a knot when someone says, "NO" and pulls it out. Yanking out a few signs as shown in the video? I've got no problem with it. Going to toss me in "Sign Remover" jail?

(That video was way over-done, BTW. All that serious music added to tell us how evil the sign pullers were. Give me a break. People were pulling out a couple of signs that had been stuck in the ground... not setting fire to the guys in the suits who put them there. Mercy.)

Last edited by DewDropInn; 11-05-2012 at 10:39 AM..

Old 11-05-2012, 10:27 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,857,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
If someone believes gays shouldn't be allowed to marry they have a right to put out a sign. But don't be all shocked and get your knickers in a knot when someone says, "NO" and pulls it out. Yanking out a few signs? I've got no problem with it. Going to toss me in "Sign Remover" jail?
I laughed at the video. OK, I could see perhaps one person brazen (or stupid) enough to yank someone's sign in broad daylight in the middle of a busy street and in front of numerous passers-by, but c'mon, person after person doing it? They aren't clever enough to come back after business hours when no one is around?

They even filmed the front of the art college. Do they really think we won't realize those are all students and members of that organization?

By the way, the guy who looks just like Elton John is a nice touch.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:38 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,085,531 times
So, if gay marriage is a civil right, is as natural as heterosexual marriage, Jesus believed in, etc., etc., then there is no need to deny someone else's right to campaign against a state amendment, that they personally are against? No need to act unjustly, denying someone else their free speech right, which is what the campaign signs are? Afterall, you are right, have all of the justification on your side. No need to be hyper-defensive, right?

Old 11-05-2012, 10:48 AM

14,916 posts, read 13,132,457 times
I wonder if the sign placers had the proper permits to place their signs in public planters on the public sidewalk. If not, kudos to these citizens for proactively enforcing city ordinances.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:51 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,278,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
I laughed at the video. OK, I could see perhaps one person brazen (or stupid) enough to yank someone's sign in broad daylight in the middle of a busy street and in front of numerous passers-by, but c'mon, person after person doing it? They aren't clever enough to come back after business hours when no one is around?
Pulling out a sign in full view of everyone is part of the act of protest. It's a small demonstration of having the courage of your convictions.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:02 AM

2 posts, read 1,881 times
Welcome to liberal tolerance, america.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:04 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,852,477 times
Marriage if you have not noticed lost it's relevance about 40 years ago. It really does not mean much other than it being a legal contract where as you are sanctioned by the state and entitled to certain spousal rights. Straight people are perturbed with the notion that gays want to be considered normal..they believe that the hyjackiung of marriage is the illegal ownership of NORMAL. There is no normal anymore...So called straight men and woman partake in the most debauched sexual activities imagined...Couples believe that having affairs is NORMAL...

The reality is that there is now a huge difference between a married pair and a mating pair of humans...Most intelligent straight people are opting for mating and not interested in marriage..The gays can have the institution...no one else wants it- so what is the problem?

Oh- I thought that the SSM crowd were intelligent gentle people- apparently they are as vile as the straights when it comes to aggression and hate.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:12 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,852,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelKlel View Post
Welcome to liberal tolerance, america.
Liberal minds once institutionalized are just as rigid in their way of thinking as some old curmudgeon conservative..intolerance knows no left or right. The "all is good" crowd are fine as long as things are going their way....but once tempers flair...all that is good can quickly turn into all is extremely bad..but of course the liberal mind is such that they are NEVER wrong about anything.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:15 AM

4,254 posts, read 5,620,768 times
I find the liberal acceptance of political vandalism in this thread to be fairly shocking.

I'm about as strong against same-sex "marriage" as anyone can get, yet I wouldn't dream of vandalizing the other side's campaign miscellany. I'm also not a big fan of democracy - it seldom goes my way - but it's the system we have and its rules need to be respected.

Today's liberalism cares nothing for process and is all about clearing the way for desire and the will. The ends justify the means.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:24 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,857,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
I find the liberal acceptance of political vandalism in this thread to be fairly shocking.
Do you believe the video is real?

Just watch it. Its so obviously phony its laughable. And if you don't see it in that one, go back to their site and watch the one where they're standing on a street corner with a giant banner. Watch as the camera turns and follows a guy coming across the street and heads right towards the banner, and then he tears it down! Watch how they stand there and get the pictures and videos, as per their script.

And don't call me a liberal. I'm not one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies