U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-21-2013, 02:50 PM
 
6,791 posts, read 7,097,660 times
Reputation: 6970

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
I do not think it is as much about the election, as it is an overall feeling that the country as a whole is under siege.
The economy has been ransacked, the Treasury has been looted, the Constitution is under constant attack, the borders overrun, corporate power has replaced the will of the people, and the overall health of the nation is declining.

It is not that people are against America, it is that they feel everything America stands for is being taken away.
Those are all fair thoughts people are free to express, the problem is many people are simply saying in a very childish, simplistic way that the candidate they don't like won so, they are going to fly the flag upside down, or destroy it in some way.

He is the US president, whether one voted for him or not, he was elected as part of the democratic process, someone being unhappy about the results is not a real issue, it's simply a disappointment everyone will experience at times while being part of democracy.

 
Old 02-21-2013, 04:16 PM
 
Location: San Diego California
6,797 posts, read 6,307,358 times
Reputation: 5175
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
Those are all fair thoughts people are free to express, the problem is many people are simply saying in a very childish, simplistic way that the candidate they don't like won so, they are going to fly the flag upside down, or destroy it in some way.

He is the US president, whether one voted for him or not, he was elected as part of the democratic process, someone being unhappy about the results is not a real issue, it's simply a disappointment everyone will experience at times while being part of democracy.
I think you are oversimplifying this somewhat. I admit there are some very immature people out there who may be guilty of what you are stating, but there are also large bodies of people who sincerely feel disenfranchised and feel as if they are powerless to do anything about it.
I remember a time not too long ago when people would become involved with heated political debates during elections and then afterwards just accept the results and go on with their lives.
The division between people today is different. It is visceral. People feel as if their very way of life is being threatened. They are facing more and more repression and loss of freedom while simultaneously losing financial security. This is different, people are genuinely afraid.
 
Old 02-21-2013, 04:32 PM
 
6,791 posts, read 7,097,660 times
Reputation: 6970
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
I think you are oversimplifying this somewhat. I admit there are some very immature people out there who may be guilty of what you are stating, but there are also large bodies of people who sincerely feel disenfranchised and feel as if they are powerless to do anything about it.
I remember a time not too long ago when people would become involved with heated political debates during elections and then afterwards just accept the results and go on with their lives.
The division between people today is different. It is visceral. People feel as if their very way of life is being threatened. They are facing more and more repression and loss of freedom while simultaneously losing financial security. This is different, people are genuinely afraid.
I'm not the one who is oversymplifying things. I would recommend a productive way of addressing those actual issues, flying the flag upside down because s Obama was elected IS childish and oversimplifies issues. These problems didn't start, and won't end with his presidency, to think so is naive,' there is no perfect, or evil "side," no single person, even a president, is the cause, or the solution to our countries issues.

If someone is that upset that they fear for their lives, get involved and DO SOMETHING, speak up, protest, organize, and write to politicians, don't sit around and whine while staring at an upside down flag. If everyone actually did something real maybe this country would have a chance.
 
Old 02-21-2013, 04:45 PM
 
335 posts, read 386,198 times
Reputation: 117
The National Debt would be pretty much the same regardless of who was elected ... Since it seems it is okay to fly the US flag upside down, why is it not okay to burn it? It is just a piece of cloth after all.

I think all this has more to do with a Black man being elected than the National Debt, if the other party put someone up that wasn't a goof things may have gone differently.

Probably about 10% actually voted FOR Romney, everyone else voted against Obama, now isn't that a stupid reason to vote for someone?
 
Old 02-22-2013, 07:00 AM
 
Location: San Diego California
6,797 posts, read 6,307,358 times
Reputation: 5175
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
I'm not the one who is oversymplifying things. I would recommend a productive way of addressing those actual issues, flying the flag upside down because s Obama was elected IS childish and oversimplifies issues. These problems didn't start, and won't end with his presidency, to think so is naive,' there is no perfect, or evil "side," no single person, even a president, is the cause, or the solution to our countries issues.

If someone is that upset that they fear for their lives, get involved and DO SOMETHING, speak up, protest, organize, and write to politicians, don't sit around and whine while staring at an upside down flag. If everyone actually did something real maybe this country would have a chance.
People as a rule need a villain. People on the right refuse to admit Obama's policies are a continuation of Bushes policies, just the same as people on the left are willing to give him a free pass on the same issue.
The real difference is that each side has some illogical faith in their side, regardless of reality.
If Romney had been elected the same thing would be happening with the roles reversed.
You are wrong that there is not an evil side; both sides are evil, because both work against the American people and for the interests of the corporate elite.
 
Old 02-22-2013, 12:29 PM
 
6,791 posts, read 7,097,660 times
Reputation: 6970
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
People as a rule need a villain. People on the right refuse to admit Obama's policies are a continuation of Bushes policies, just the same as people on the left are willing to give him a free pass on the same issue.
The real difference is that each side has some illogical faith in their side, regardless of reality.
If Romney had been elected the same thing would be happening with the roles reversed.
You are wrong that there is not an evil side; both sides are evil, because both work against the American people and for the interests of the corporate elite.
No argument here, fanatical allegiance to political parties is a big part of our problems, far too many people are too busy fighting against the "other side" to realize that we are all Americans, and all issues need to be looked at individually for merit, and decisions must be made on the basis of what will truly benefit the people. Both parties have been bought, the people have little say anymore, and in large part that is our own fault, people have allowed themselves to be manipulated by all the BS out there so the corporate interests are the only winners in the US.

I personally don't understand how any human being can possibly allow themselves to fit wholly into only one of two political parties, and then simply vilify any concern that doesn't fit into that tiny box when there are so many life issues at stake, that says to me they have not taken the time to actually think about much of anything, and prefer to blindly follow. Congrats to them, they behave exactly as the moneyed interests want them to, and they don't even have the common sense to be embarrassed by that.

The answer will never be turning a flag upside down and whining, our only chance is for people to think for themselves, and then speak up, and demand to be heard, and yes, real compromise is going to be required, that's a part of democracy, people have lost respect for democracy, too many people are acting like they want to lose democracy for a dictatorship of their own choosing, but dictatorships don't work that way.
 
Old 02-22-2013, 02:46 PM
 
Location: San Diego California
6,797 posts, read 6,307,358 times
Reputation: 5175
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
No argument here, fanatical allegiance to political parties is a big part of our problems, far too many people are too busy fighting against the "other side" to realize that we are all Americans, and all issues need to be looked at individually for merit, and decisions must be made on the basis of what will truly benefit the people. Both parties have been bought, the people have little say anymore, and in large part that is our own fault, people have allowed themselves to be manipulated by all the BS out there so the corporate interests are the only winners in the US.

I personally don't understand how any human being can possibly allow themselves to fit wholly into only one of two political parties, and then simply vilify any concern that doesn't fit into that tiny box when there are so many life issues at stake, that says to me they have not taken the time to actually think about much of anything, and prefer to blindly follow. Congrats to them, they behave exactly as the moneyed interests want them to, and they don't even have the common sense to be embarrassed by that.

The answer will never be turning a flag upside down and whining, our only chance is for people to think for themselves, and then speak up, and demand to be heard, and yes, real compromise is going to be required, that's a part of democracy, people have lost respect for democracy, too many people are acting like they want to lose democracy for a dictatorship of their own choosing, but dictatorships don't work that way.
Excellent comments, it is good to have practical people voicing a little common sense, hopefully its contagious.
 
Old 07-22-2013, 09:17 AM
 
Location: The Brat Stop
8,353 posts, read 5,973,820 times
Reputation: 2279
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Yeah right-

I will fly the flag upside down forever.

This is not an issue of "disliking the president". I dislike a nation who chose national suicide in favor of some twit who has promised them treats for a few more years of comfort. I voted for Perot, but voted for Clinton in his second term. I am not a "knee jerk" republican. I do realize, unlike liberals, economic realities and the consequences of debt > than 180% GDP. Libs are too dense to understand that and will be in a world of hurt when they realize what has hit them.

YOU ARE THE TRAITORS. You have abandoned the wishes and sacrifice of the founding fathers, who sacrificed thier wealth and lives for the nation.

Now we have the "Torries" (those who support Obama) and the "Patriots" (those who oppose a tyrannical government). Like "The World Turned Upside Down", which was played by the British as they threw down their weapons at Yorktown, the libs will be defeated and observe the generation of a "new race" (the words of the British) of free men, who want to live free by their own means, without intervention from a central power.

Obama has destroyed us, but will ultimately deliver new nations which will value freedom and liberty above handouts from the federal government.

Gear up- get your water, weapons, ammo, MREs, fuel and be prepared. I think that this will end with the peaceful breakup of the US, but tyrants (like Obama) often resort to violence to keep people in check and enslaved.


PS- I will get some photos of my upside down flag flying over the next few weeks for all of you commies. I really think that it will catch on and many in the US will start flying thier flags of the old USA upside down. It is, in fact, a "world turned upside down", just as in 1783.
We're waiting.
 
Old 07-22-2013, 10:07 AM
 
Location: The Brat Stop
8,353 posts, read 5,973,820 times
Reputation: 2279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
OBAMA is the one who should be in JAIL, waiting to get HUNG by the neck till Death......
Oh yeah? Who is going to do that? you?
 
Old 07-22-2013, 10:09 AM
 
Location: North America
19,634 posts, read 12,407,743 times
Reputation: 8282
Awww, somebody is in full-on poutrage over the election. Wassamatter, scared of the brown man in the White House?

To the OP: Throwing a flag away is desecration, bud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top