Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2012, 09:35 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
When is the last time you worked with the working poor?
I've been one of them. What do you think encouraged me to get an education?

I support a flat tax. Wages and prices will adjust. Everyone paying into the federal government, however, gives us a shot at fixing this. As things are now, there's no chance. We have to stop giving people tax refunds for money they never paid in. We need to stop write offs. We need to go to a flat tax (which eliminates the marriage penalty and, possibly, the IRS. If taxes are as simple as look at what you made and send 15% to the government you may not need them.).

I think America is more likely to swallow a value added tax though (this gets rid of income taxes). You tax goods and the increased value of goods as they move through the manufacturing process. Income taxes are eliminated but prices go up. The more value in the goods, the higher the tax. A nice thing about this system is it catches people working under the table and even those in illegal activities. If you buy something, you pay the tax. Period. And individuals get to determine the amount of tax they pay by what they choose to spend it on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 09:38 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Your point is this: my candidate didn't win ~ so I'm going to spend my time whining on an internet message board about charitable contributions that I never made.

Not the OP but that wasn't the point. Thanks for playing.

There are some very negative financial realities because obama is still in office. They will have an impact on society at large. You can choose to ignore that if you wish but that just demonstrates stupidity.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:39 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,938,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
You have a very interesting view, but it certainly does not hold true.

There are many liberals who give to charity. We don't brag about it and we don't only give money, but we give of our time.

I prefer to give locally so I give every month to our local food pantry - I don't wait for holidays. I probably don't have quite as much money as you say you have, but we (my dh and I) have done well and are retired now. We continue to give to those in need in our community and and to support them with our help rather than only money. We do give money too and with the numbers of people in my community who do so, we are not being stingy.

Do you really think it is conservatives who help build houses with Habitat for Humanity? It is a mix of people and we believe that those who are in need should have shelter. Do you really believe that it is conservatives who are tutoring inner city children? There might be some conservatives, but most are liberals. We believe in helping kids get an education regardless of their economic status, their race or their language.

Spot on. I volunteered with H for H for year, and I met not one single conservative. Would I therefore draw the conclusion that they don't help the poor? No.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:45 PM

488 posts, read 412,982 times
Ending charitable contributions would be a good thing if enough did so. There is so much fat in those budgets that one can't seriously call them 'non-profits' so much as tax shelters with high executive salaries & dedicated fan bases won by brilliant marketing campaigns. If personal contributions died off, they would rely more on corporate partnerships & civic revenues and religious tithing. That's a win/win for the tax shelters. Plus, the government could start new programs to coddle the willfully incompetent necessitating more taxation creating more do-nothing feel-good employments for the moderately-inspired diploma mill grist so needing a productive paycheck.

Local charities can just get more federal & state & local funding, paid for by those who will be taxed higher forcing them to utilize the services they are entitled to fund and so everyone will just circle-jerk themselves into dependence while corrupt contributions for tax deduction purposes can be eliminated rightly.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:54 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
A common mistake is to assume that a liberal will know when he is beaten. You may think you have scored a clear victory by not only citing the appropriate authority on each matter but utterly humiliating the liberal in the process – and yet he will keep coming back for more punishment.

What you must understand here is that liberals have no sense of dignity. They are quite willing to be humiliated and taunted in the service of their righteousness. Crawling through slime and offal does not offend them; living the lives they do, of course, many of them are quite accustomed to it.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:55 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,809,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
The poor supported Obama, which will result in the destruction of the nation, altering the lives of everyone in the US forever.

I had previously been a DeToqueville Society member of the United Way, donating fairly substantial sums. I cancelled my donations yesterday. I refuse to provide monetary support to people who destroyed the nation. I guess they can get all thier money from Obama.

I had two scholarships to the local Catholic High School and one to our state university- cancelled. To hell with Obama supporters.
Sorry, don't believe you.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:02 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Your missing the point. People were happy to donate and contribute but after higher taxes they may not be able to. They have to foot the entire bill to take care of their family. They don't get any help with heat, food, mortgage, education for their kids, elderly parents, maybe other family members in financial trouble etc. No help at all. These people pay a lot of taxes already and only for Obama to want to take more and then insult them by saying they don't pay their fair share.

It is insulting when you see obama phone types, perfectly healthy and capable to work demand more. These types have all their needs taken care of even spend money on lap dances etc. It's insulting and these people, unlike the takers have always taken care of their needs with no help from no-one. It's time to stop attacking them and depending on them when there are others who won't do a damn thing to help themselves.
I get that...but I also got the impression that the OP was just outright tired of supporting idiots that don't care to try to be self-sufficient.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:15 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,134,063 times
Continuing with any charity contradicts............ good will.

The lefties believe everything is just another day regardless of world markets which they do not understand. USA Corporate just told the world that they are not liking Obama. We know what happens in this regard because we have a full four years of accelerating damage.

The people had all these things explained to them and the majority said no, we do not want these things explained to us, rather we want to make a leadership choice based on Oprah and Jerry Springer idea's, thats where we are at and thats what matters.

There are only two ways an economy can go...forward or backwards. There are only two ways an individual surviving ability can go, forward or backwards.

The economic influence's after the election is already accelerating backwards more swiftly then what was in place which caused this financial nightmare.

The only way for the consequence of the lefties action's can be learned from is by..."experience" It would be counter to the lefties progress to interrupt the learning process.

People need and want to learn. The lefties want to learn and grow, these things cannot be separated from human existence. The lefties want to experience their wisdom and are not interested in explanations...the right has broken its back the last few months trying to tell, in order to avoid the dark learning experience ahead. Helping lefties would be immoral because it interferes with the growing learning experience of life.

Righties can tell in 10-25 min or so talking to a person if they would be on the Obama train or not, it could not be hidden in person, even if denied.

Also, in these chats which is far different then in person, its very clear the followers are fundamentally much like Obama himself, bullies, short thinkers, quick sloppy entries, rude laughter like Biden. For the good of the race globally the dollar will fall showing "appreciation for work done, money definition...the means of exhange" and the lefties will learn by experience, interesting thing is that the righties are on the same page as the rest of the world and will allow the lefties their learning experience...if a youngster insists on hanging out with the wrong crowd after doing everything you can....you gotta let em go....

Bye Bye lefties.

You can't force good will, the giver needs to be inspired with some hope, in the receiver. If there is nothing progressive to be had in good will, it is immoral to consider, because the contribution can only fuel an already decided demise contrary to the true hope, the giver has for the receiver.

Last edited by stargazzer; 11-09-2012 at 10:39 PM..

Old 11-09-2012, 10:21 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazzer View Post
Righties can tell in 10 minutes talking to a person if they would be on the Obama train or not. In these chats its very clear the followers are much like Obama himself, bullies, short thinkers, quick sloppy entries, rude laughter like Biden. For the good of the race globally the dollar will fall and the lefties will learn by experience, interesting thin is that the righties are on the same page as the rest of the world and will allow the lefties their learning experience...if a youngster insists on hanging out with the wrong crowd after doping everything you can....you gotta let em go....
That is the truth, talk to them for a short time and you can tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazzer View Post
You can't force good will, the giver needs to be inspired with some hope, in the receiver. If there is nothing progressive to be had in good will, it is immoral to consider because then the contribution can only fuel an already decided demise.
Yet they try to force good will with other peoples money and wonder why it will shut the whole thing down. Those meanie republicans they will say.

Old 11-10-2012, 01:23 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
We'd already decided to cut out contributions next year. We had been using the 2% FICA decrease for contributions. With that ending, the marriage penalty and AMT returning and possible tax hikes, I won't have funds to continue any contributions. Yay, fiscal cliff.
What marriage penalty?
It's a single and childfree penalty.
I'm taxed for your breeding choices. Don't mind the education, but I do mind the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies