Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 10:01 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,930,790 times

Advertisements

Everyones beating up on Walmart, but my guess woiuld be most of their patrons (or 'patrones') support the entitlement attitude that got Obocho re-elected.

I'll just be there at door opeing to take pictures of Americas Creme de la Creme.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 10:02 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,161,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You can't blame Walmart for that. You can only look in the mirror and blame yourselves.
Could not agree more and this is why I don't shop there and I would encourage everyone to stay home on that day and spend time with their families. I have many disappointments with modern progressives and their silence on particular issues that progressives used to be passionate about. One of my major disappointments with modern conservatives is that they've largely forsaken the type of values that allowed them to have no problem stating that we should place certain things above the Holy Free Market and the making of money. The type of values that rejected mindless consumption and materialistic attitudes. The kind of communitarian spirit that would have mourned the loss of generations-old small businesses in smaller communities to these corporate giants. Now, the typical response is, "Well, that's what the free market decides." The Holy Free Market.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:06 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,452,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Walmart is a terrible store with low quality junk. Yet Americans are stupid enough to continue to buy which just helps ship their jobs overseas.
Unfortunately the entire industry is so screwed up that it's hard to even find good quality stuff when you want it.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:09 AM

13,697 posts, read 9,029,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Now you can leave your family on Thanksgiving Day and buy Chinese made crap you don't need at Walmart.

Wal-Mart raises stake for holiday season's start | Comcast

Well, no doubt the Board of Directors will be at their post Thanksgiving Day at 8 p.m., same as the cashiers, stockers, greeters, etc.

Walmart Corporate - Board of Directors

Old 11-09-2012, 10:12 AM

39,876 posts, read 26,558,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
you have 2 options.

1. Don't shop there.

2. being you know so much about running a business, start your own and compete against them.

If you choose not to do either, please refrain n from from boring us with your petty squabble.
You forgot 3.

Pizz and moan impotently and incessantly on an internet forum.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:16 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,853,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
You wouldn't make it five days in a retail environment. Forget about managing a store, I'm talking about working a cash register.
Ah, yes, the Holy Grail! Retail! The pot-o-gold, my ship has just come in, career of a lifetime!

Old 11-09-2012, 10:57 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,040,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
What's the big deal about Thanksgiving anyway? it's not like it's a religious holiday. And not everyone has family to celebrate it with.
It is a religious holiday.

To whom are you giving thanks to on Thanksgiving?

Old 11-09-2012, 11:13 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,399,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Haven't set foot in one in over 10 years. If you must buy big box, seek out a Costco, where they actually pay their employees a fair wage. They also make most of their money from their memberships, and make very little on merchandise, which is sold at cost.
If there was a Costco in my neck of the woods I'd quit going to Sam's in a heartbeat

Old 11-09-2012, 11:56 AM

26,701 posts, read 41,786,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Despite being conservative on most things, I think the government needs to tax Amazon and other online retailers. Buying online is terribly inconvenient for a lot of people especially apartment dwellers with full time jobs but due to tax loopholes you can save a good deal so most people prefer to shop online, which actually hurts your local economy. Taxing Amazon would help local economies around the nation.
Why would you say that?

If it is the shipping that you have to be there to sign for, you actually have the option with UPS MYchoice to request they leave the package at your front door or hold at a facility. It was the only way I ever got Amazon packages while living in Louisville working 10am-7:30pm most days without someone to sign for them.

As to the OP, I do shop at Walmart (only store that has underwear my size that I can afford and cheap toiletries.) I hate the idea of opening on Thanksgiving. However they would not open on Thanksgiving if people didnt come into the store until 12:01 Black Friday last year when they did a Thanksgiving. It sucks for the workers (most who are stuck there not by choice) but you can thank greedy American consumerism for this.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:00 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,786,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Walmart could announce that they will open at 4pm on Thanksgiving day..the height of dinner and there will be thousands lined up at the doors (with some even breaking them down).

"STUFF"..the holy grail of the American CONSUMER.

Those who consider Thanksgiving a family holiday, not an all out shopping spree, will not be there.
The pro family folks will have their dinner and family conversations and dessert and visit with each other.

They won't be banging the doors down at 8pm on Thanksgiving.
I'm not pro-family or even care about Thanksgiving but at 8pm on Thanksgiving I will be in my warm bed waiting for Black Friday fights 2012 on Youtube.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies