Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 05:16 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,187,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
Hopefully Obama realizes that he won and they lost. He needs to hold his ground with the Republicans on the fiscal cliff and let them know who the boss is. He needs to tell them the Bush tax cuts will NOT be extended for the rich and, if the Republicans refuse to extend them for the middle class and it wrecks the economy, they have to run for re election in 2 years and he doesn't have to run again. Same with the sequestration. Since most of it is going to hit the military and defense contractors, most of which are in deep red states like Texas, Kansas and Georgia, Obama should tell them "go ahead and make my day". When they are forced to choose between Grover Norquist and thousands of jobs being lost in their states, they will back down.
Liberals have demanded for 12 years that the Bush tax cuts be ended. So end them and stand back. What can go wrong? Gov. gets more money and they will dole it right back out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 06:02 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,354,801 times
Default Laughable! Here we go again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
Hopefully Obama realizes that he won and they lost. He needs to hold his ground with the Republicans on the fiscal cliff and let them know who the boss is. He needs to tell them the Bush tax cuts will NOT be extended for the rich and, if the Republicans refuse to extend them for the middle class and it wrecks the economy, they have to run for re election in 2 years and he doesn't have to run again. Same with the sequestration. Since most of it is going to hit the military and defense contractors, most of which are in deep red states like Texas, Kansas and Georgia, Obama should tell them "go ahead and make my day". When they are forced to choose between Grover Norquist and thousands of jobs being lost in their states, they will back down.
"I won." Right? That's "reaching across the isle," isn't it?

What does Grover Norquist have to do with anything?

No, Obama is not "the boss." That is what a dictator is. We are a Representative Republic. Voters do not make policy decisions, and they do not legislate. Congress does that. And Congress stands as a safeguard against any President that would be a dictator. They do not have to bow to his every wish. He is not a King.

Why do we still refer to them as "Bush tax cuts?" The Bush era "tax rates" should stand. To increase taxes on anybody during such poor economic times is pure folly.

Therefore, the Republicans need to hang tough, not cave in on more spending, demand cuts to entitlements, restoration of the work requirement for welfare (which was very successful).

We need to demand the repeal of ObamaCare, which is yet the largest contributor to the lack of job growth, and is the single most important issue contributing to the recently announced layoffs.

This economy will never rebound under Obama policies. It's that simple.

You may notice (or not) that Republicans won big victories at the state level. We have more governorships, and Republican State Houses than do Democrats.

Government intervention and over regulation have not only perpetuated the stagnant economy, those policies have made things worse. It never was "Bush's fault," and saying it doesn't make it so. What led us to where we are today can be traced directly to Democrat policies, established many years ago, but most significantly perhaps, the CRA (Jimmy Carter) and the belief that home ownership is a "right." Therefore banks were instructed to make loans to people who couldn't afford them, with no qualification requirements.

It was not "predatory lending." No one is forced to take out a loan. But banks were forced by the Federal Government, under threat of losing their FDIC certification (or whatever you call it), to make these unwise loans, which they were then allowed to remove from their books by bundling them and selling them to Fanny Mae, which resold them to investors as "Mortgage Backed Securities."

Republicans warned this was a train wreck about to happen, and held hearings. Democrats, in their arrogance, sneered.

Ignoring facts does not change them. Facts are facts.

Voters are ignorant. They do not understand the consequences of poor leadership, or poor policy.

There is a reason we do not elect a President directly.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I cann't believe that Grover Norquist continues to hold the Repubs hostage.
What does Gorver Norquist have to do with anything? What makes you think he is "holding Republicans hostage?" Hostage to what?

I haven't heard Gorver Norquist's name come up in any conservative circles in many years. I think he used to be a contributor to National Review. I don't think he runs the Repulican Party, however.

But some of you still believe Rush Limbaugh runs the Republican Party, so I'm not surprised you would dredge up Norquist.

Can any of you explain why you think Norquist has any influence on the Republican Party? Do you have some links? Pleas, no Stink Progress, moron.org or Media Blathers. I mean real intelligent thought provoking anything that shows Grover Norquist is influencing the Party.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Obama did that last time---you can see where it got us. A president needs to be able to work across the aisle like Reagan did for anything to be accomplished. I suspect Obama will be the same again and we will have another 4 years of stalemates.
If Obama continues to push his radical un-American and anti-business agenda, we will be right here in this same place in four years, but with even more Americans out of work, and even deeper in debt.

He needs to learn what drives business to hire and expand. He is clueless on this.

ObamaCare, along with all it's associated taxes due to go into effect in 2013, is what is driving the current layoff trend, and that isn't going to go away unless it is repealed.

More and more small businesses are going to trim their number employees to under 50. They may devide and subdevide their businesses.

This is the result of too much government. ObamaCare was illconceived, and is unconstitutional on many levels, not the least of which is how they pushed it through, by ammending a house bill (actually using only the same number, wiping it clean, and writing the ACA in it's place. This was deception).

I think the Republicans should apply real pressure on Energy as well as repeal of ObamaCare. Obama has said he is for energy independence. But he has shown no leadership here, and in fact his actions have made us more dependent. We should use this as a hammer. Insist on more drilling and rolling back of his Federal Lands edicts which have declared some of our richest reserves "off limits." This is just plan foolish.

Also, they should demand Obamacare be repealed. No repeal, and we don't budge on other issues. It's that simple.

Hope the lefties here enjoy what they have created.

Last edited by nononsenseguy; 11-11-2012 at 07:19 AM..

Old 11-11-2012, 07:00 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,375,732 times
Default Obama Drop Sweet Talk And Tell GOP "My Way or Highway"

Yes that's the way to pull the country together, Obama is the Boss? I thought he was the Leader, ya know lead bt example. This is why this country will fail, people have forgot that the government works for the people, the key word being "for". Before anybodies taxes are increased the government should be cutting wasteful spending og the peoples money.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:09 AM

24,453 posts, read 23,140,757 times
Obama's already bending over and offering to meet the GOP at least halfway. I'll bet he gives them everything they want but will get a few measely concessions in return to save face.
LOL, you thought he'd stand up to them because he " won "? He's being kept around because he's owned and does what he's told.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:12 AM

973 posts, read 1,455,651 times
"Obama Drop Sweet Talk And Tell GOP "My Way or Highway""

Yea, that will work in a system of checks and balances. Not one single branch is supposed to have total power. He is not a King.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:12 AM

12,970 posts, read 13,716,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
What does Gorver Norquist have to do with anything? What makes you think he is "holding Republicans hostage?" Hostage to what?

I haven't heard Gorver Norquist's name come up in any conservative circles in many years. I think he used to be a contributor to National Review. I don't think he runs the Republican Party, however.

But some of you still believe Rush Limbaugh runs the Republican Party, so I'm not surprised you would dredge up Norquist.

Can any of you explain why you think Norquist has any influence on the Republican Party? Do you have some links? Pleas, no Stink Progress, moron.org or Media Blathers. I mean real intelligent thought provoking anything that shows Grover Norquist is influencing the Party.
The Pledge: Grover Norquist's hold on the GOP - CBS News

You might also want to look up "Credit Default Swap" Only a hand full of people in the financial world understood them ,but Republicans passed the bill anyway to allow them.
My best friend bought a house in the 90's and told me practically every month he sent his house payment to another financial entity. Another man I know had a bank turn him down for a home loan, but if he borrowed twice as much money they would approve the loan.

Republicans can seize this moment and ask for sweeping changes in Welfare in trade for higher taxes for the rich. The Dems will have to accept that trade to rid themselves of the moniker of being the party of the free loaders.
If welfare was only available to American Citizens who are employed, disabled, handicapped, over 55 or under 5, it would keep wages low and probably curb illegal immigration.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 11-11-2012 at 07:37 AM..

Old 11-11-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
The Pledge: Grover Norquist's hold on the GOP - CBS News
You might also want to look up "Credit Default Swap" Only a hand full of people in the financial world understood them ,but Republicans passed the bill anyway to allow them.
My best friend bought a house in 90's and told me practically every month he sent his house payment to another financial entity. Another man I know had a bank turn him down for a home loan, but if he borrowed twice as much money they would approve the loan.
It's not uncommon for a Mortgage company to sell the paper to someone else. This doesn't happen if you deal with a bank. When we bought our first house in San Diego, we financed through San Diego Federal. Our morgage stayed with them untill years later when we refinanced.

Hear, we took out a small mortgage years ago with a mortgage lender, and it was sold almost immediately to another.

I don't believe the story about the guy turned down but approved for twice as much. Something is fishy with that story.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:47 AM

12,970 posts, read 13,716,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
It's not uncommon for a Mortgage company to sell the paper to someone else. This doesn't happen if you deal with a bank. When we bought our first house in San Diego, we financed through San Diego Federal. Our morgage stayed with them untill years later when we refinanced.

Hear, we took out a small mortgage years ago with a mortgage lender, and it was sold almost immediately to another.

I don't believe the story about the guy turned down but approved for twice as much. Something is fishy with that story.
Typical Tea Party response "I don't Believe That" I have heard that a thousand times and that's why conservatives are at such a loss, You should look up Credit Default Swap and try to understand why wall street created a financial tool that only paid off if some defaulted on their loan.
The guy that was offered a loan for twice as much was smart enough to find a bank that would loan him what he thought he could afford unlike millions of Americans who put us in the slide by allowing wall street to blow smoke up their arse.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 11-11-2012 at 07:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies