Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 08:46 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,609,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
More like the will of the sore losers. I think this is just as funny as the "other side" declaring they're moving to Canada after their guy lost.

Grow up, folks, Obama won, there was no "voter suppression" on his side, Mittens lost both the popular and electoral vote. You just can't get your immature little heads around that fact, can you?

This kind of RW nuttery is what's screwing up the GOP.

So very sad, and so very funny.
Like Canada wants them. NOT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 08:47 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,957,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I'd say it's more the most embarrassing moment in the history of the GOP. I've never so many tantrums thrown in my life.

So what political party do you think most of these petition starters belong to? Who are wasting our time with this nonsense?

From what I have been reading, it is a position of statement. Even in the link provided by the OP, the person stated this would be a non-binding referendum. That is, it is the state is not required to act on it, it is an advisory means to which the people are informing the state of their objections to the issues at hand.

So it isn't (at least in the case of Texas) an actual demand for secession, rather it is a call out to the state and to the US government as well as the nation as a whole that its policies are violating founding principals, using other methods of government that ours was not intended, nor allowed to implement be it through the power of government or the will of the people. The will of the people can not ignore the requirements and protections of our system. This is why we were never a pure democracy in the first place and so regardless of the demands of the majority, they can not infringe on the liberty of its people.

All this will do is allow a actual representation of the people to voice their concern and by putting a number to it (the results of its votes when the measure if voted on), it shows that people are concerned and have an objection to the violations and policies of the US.

The thing is, if all of these states show a large number of votes to bring a non-binding referendum to success, then it does show there is a major problem in our country and the people are being ignored.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:47 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Why are all you red-staters still here typing on your laptops?? Don't you have a new government to plan and bunkers to build?

So typical. All talk - no action.

I'm not holding my breath for your guys to leave but it sure would be a refreshing change.

Buh-bye.
They should seriously be looking at Argentina or Brazil. Plenty of land down there.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:50 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
The thing is, if all of these states show a large number of votes to bring a non-binding referendum to success, then it does show there is a major problem in our country and the people are being ignored.
Oh, I can't wait to see that. It would lend at least some credibility to the drama queens, and an incentive for me to personally take charge of dealing with this mob rule proposed.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:51 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
The title of this thread should read:

"Fringe Lunatics In All 50 States Sign Petitions To Secede Following Obama's Re-Election"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Like Canada wants them. NOT!
LOL! Exactly.

I'm sure they'll be very happy there; gay marriage is legal, promotion of diversity is paramount, and separation of church and state is absolute. And let's not forget Universal Healthcare.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Why are all you red-staters still here typing on your laptops?? Don't you have a new government to plan and bunkers to build?

So typical. All talk - no action.

I'm not holding my breath for your guys to leave but it sure would be a refreshing change.

Buh-bye.

They are taking action according to our system and through peaceful means. A non-binding referendum is merely a statement. If it were binding, then that would be more of an action as it would be required to be fulfilled.

What are you looking for? A war? Do you expect them to close off their borders and start shooting?

Are you against the people properly using the system to voice their concern?

Old 11-15-2012, 08:52 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
Quote:
From what I have been reading, it is a position of statement. Even in the link provided by the OP, the person stated this would be a non-binding referendum. That is, it is the state is not required to act on it, it is an advisory means to which the people are informing the state of their objections to the issues at hand.

So it isn't (at least in the case of Texas) an actual demand for secession, rather it is a call out to the state and to the US government as well as the nation as a whole that its policies are violating founding principals, using other methods of government that ours was not intended, nor allowed to implement be it through the power of government or the will of the people. The will of the people can not ignore the requirements and protections of our system. This is why were never a democracy in the first place and so regardless of the demands of the majority, they can not infringe on the liberty of its people.

All this will do is allow a actual representation of the people to voice their concern and by putting a number to it (the results of its votes when the measure if voted on), it shows that people are concerned and have an objection to the violations and policies of the US.

Almost sounds like a procedural grievance I would file at work if I felt something wasn't fair. But my company is not a representative structure like our Federal Government. Doesn't it seem kind of an extreme measure? How about starting with writing a letter signed by unhappy citizens and sending it to the appropriate congressperson?

Old 11-15-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Oh, I can't wait to see that. It would lend at least some credibility to the drama queens, and an incentive for me to personally take charge of dealing with this mob rule proposed.
Dealing with? How so? Are you implying violent discourse to deal with those who voice their concerns to the direction and actions of government over many years?

If you are, then you are making their argument for them.

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
Quote:
They are taking action according to our system and through peaceful means.
Which system would that be? Everything points to their collective heads suffering with sourgrapeitis.

Quote:
Dealing with? How so? Are you implying violent discourse to deal with those who voice their concerns to the direction and actions of government over many years?
So you presumed violence. It is what is really in your head anyway.

Quote:
If you are, then you are making their argument for them.
I make argument for self, not for dummies much less those suffering with mental issues because their party didn't win the election.

990 posts, read 939,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
This has got to be the most embarassing moment ever in the history of US presidents.

Residents In All 50 States File Petitions To Secede From United States
Except if you look, only a handful of those signatures are actually from those states which "wish" to secede. In New Hampshire and Hawaii for example, the percentage of signatures from within those states is less than 10%. Not only that, but the Hawaii petition wasn't even started by a Hawaii native, but rather someone from Florida.

It's an embarrassing moment alright...it's an embarrassing moment for those of us who aren't crying little babies about losing an election. My candidate didn't win (Johnson never had a chance, not even in the GOP primaries), but you don't see me calling for the treasonous act of secession.

It's merely nothing but a bunch of hicks from the sticks who simply can't accept that they lost the election and that America is no longer the refuge for the old white man it once was.

If you want to secede, just get the hell out of my country and stop trying to destroy America you pathetic losers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies