Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 07:51 AM

1,329 posts, read 832,419 times

Advertisements

I wish I could give you negative reps, because that's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 07:54 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
liberals like to say educated people vote Democratic, yet most small business owners vote Republican. Talk to anybody that runs a successful business college educated or not, they will tell you the learned FAR more FROM RUNNING THAT BUSINESS than they ever did being taught in college by a lib professor who has probably never worked in the real world. Why the voting disparity? Those educated in the 'real world' VOTE MORE rEPUBLICAN. Why do you think that is?
Never worked in the real world? So teaching school isn't the REAL WORLD?

Again, the picture of why Republicans are starting to lose their appeal is becoming more clear every day.

You guys aren't gonna actually look in the mirror, but you're gonna DOUBLE DOWN on the anti-intellectualism?

Old 11-15-2012, 08:01 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Never worked in the real world? So teaching school isn't the REAL WORLD?

Again, the picture of why Republicans are starting to lose their appeal is becoming more clear every day.

You guys aren't gonna actually look in the mirror, but you're gonna DOUBLE DOWN on the anti-intellectualism?
You got that right. The Republicans sneer at education and call Obama an elitist yet his 'nerd squad' working with the census records help Obama put together a ground game the blew Romney out of the water...and they still don't get why they lost. If they keep up their anti-intellectualism they'll be doomed next time around too.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:03 AM

502 posts, read 717,839 times
Quote:
liberals like to say educated people vote Democratic, yet most small business owners vote Republican. Talk to anybody that runs a successful business college educated or not, they will tell you the learned FAR more FROM RUNNING THAT BUSINESS than they ever did being taught in college by a lib professor who has probably never worked in the real world. Why the voting disparity? Those educated in the 'real world' VOTE MORE rEPUBLICAN. Why do you think that is?
People who spend a lot of years in a diverse campus environment tend to become very hipster/cultured and develop a very broad, liberal way of thinking. The fields that require post-graduate work (science, humanities, teaching, law, medicine, etc) are subjects that involve abstract theories and critical thinking skills.

People who spend less time college or fields that don't require post-grad studies (nursing, business, engineering, etc) tend to be more pragmatic and are common-sense conservatives. They go into the workforce earlier and develop a "think less, do more" attitude.

You can see this difference in scientists and engineers: Scientists study nature and theories for several years and often get government-funded research jobs at universities. They are very insightful, intellectual, they think in shades of grey, but they're also very elitist and clumsy when it comes to day-to-day challenges. Many of them are atheists and very skeptical of "pseudo-science". Needless to say, most scientists are Democrats.

Engineers go to school and learn a more "plug and chug" problem-solving mentality. They tend to be narrow-minded and do not spend time theorizing and thinking about the "whys", but they're great at finding fast and effective solutions to make a machine work. They go to work at private enterprises and some go on to become business leaders. Engineers are likely to be skeptical of "pseudo-engineering" (i.e. government planning). Most of them are conservatives and libertarians.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:13 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
Probably but not in all situations. It depends what your major is.

Would you say that some guy who runs the food cart down the street selling hots dogs/soda is more educated than a Professor of Astrophysics at Harvard?

If you believe that, then you are crazy.

However I would say that the food cart vendor is more educated then some lib professor who only knows gender studies.
I think your Harvard prof would better understand the lyrics to Brian May's '39, a great Queen song from "A Night at the Opera". You old guys know the song.

Your hot dog vendor probably has more business savvy and understanding micro-economics on a small scale.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:13 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,495,383 times
A discussion of what constitutes the "real world" would be interesting to listen to. 'Beauty' is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:15 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:

Then there are those of us who have BOTH an education AND have their own business, who knew.....

Old 11-15-2012, 08:16 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
Earning a degree is about knowledge. Doing the work (i.e. running a business) is about application. It is quite possible that some business owners without degrees would run their businesses better than someone with a business degree could run their hypothetical business.
Absolutely.
The Jimmy John Franchise is a good example.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:17 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fightforlove View Post
You can see this difference in scientists and engineers: Scientists study nature and theories for several years and often get government-funded research jobs at universities. They are very insightful, intellectual, they think in shades of grey, but they're also very elitist and clumsy when it comes to day-to-day challenges. Many of them are atheists and very skeptical of "pseudo-science". Needless to say, most scientists are Democrats.

Engineers go to school and learn a more "plug and chug" problem-solving mentality. They tend to be narrow-minded and do not spend time theorizing and thinking about the "whys", but they're great at finding fast and effective solutions to make a machine work. They go to work at private enterprises and some go on to become business leaders. Engineers are likely to be skeptical of "pseudo-engineering" (i.e. government planning). Most of them are conservatives and libertarians.
It's funny that you bring that up, I used a similar example here at work just last week. We have a UHV system that is giving us odd readings. There is an odd phenomon going on we don't have a handle on, that is keeping us from shipping the system. Lots of time testing and trying different things trying to solve the problem.

I (an engineer) made the observation that this is the difference between a scientist and an engineer. A scientist would look at this an interesting development to spend the next 6 months studying and figuring out an explanition for it. To an engineer, it's just one more da*n problem to resolve before we can ship the unit and get on to the next 20 things that need to be done this week to keep the company afloat.

Somewhere I saw the poster..."Engineering-where Science gets down to work".

We work with some of this countrys top scientists in applied physics regularly; they are our customers. Many are absolutely brillliant in their field...so far over my head that it's not funny. Yet it is amazing just how many have very little basic mechanical aptitude.

Another observation with regard to your comment...a good many engineers are also athiests. I'd also add that many of the scientists I've dealt with are Republicans or independants, and can't stand Obama's policies. Even though they have benefited from government funding. The difference is that most of them are in real science, not the so-called social sciences.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 11-15-2012 at 08:27 AM..

Old 11-15-2012, 08:20 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
Earning a degree is about knowledge. Doing the work (i.e. running a business) is about application. It is quite possible that some business owners without degrees would run their businesses better than someone with a business degree could run their hypothetical business.
When I was in college, the football players at my DI (now Big East) school majored in business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightforlove View Post
People who spend a lot of years in a diverse campus environment tend to become very hipster/cultured and develop a very broad, liberal way of thinking. The fields that require post-graduate work (science, humanities, teaching, law, medicine, etc) are subjects that involve abstract theories and critical thinking skills.

People who spend less time college or fields that don't require post-grad studies (nursing, business, engineering, etc) tend to be more pragmatic and are common-sense conservatives. They go into the workforce earlier and develop a "think less, do more" attitude.

Hmm. There are some grains of truth in that, but. . . . I am a nurse, and I can certainly think abstractly. You can't work a phone triage desk if all you have is a set of protocols. DH is a physicist and he can fix a car, fix just about anything, actually. Many people start out in engineering and go into science b/c they can learn more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies