Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 10:44 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,163,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I have never heard of that. Maybe that happened decades and decades ago, but most places have been open Sundays for quite a while and Sunday work in retail has not been uncommon for a long time.
I always worked Sundays in retail. (I think the Blue Laws in New Jersey were struck down about 30 years ago).

However, Paramus, NJ still has strict Blue Laws. Actually all of Bergen County has Blue Laws but Paramus has the most strict ones.

You should see Paramus on a Saturday -- Route 17 is wall to wall cars. The big star of the scene is the gargantuan Garden State Plaza -- a truly amazing mall that manages to have low-middle-class (Payless Shoes), middle-class (Macy's), and upscale (Nordstrom, Neiman-Marcus) in one mall (not to mention a 16-screen movie theater)-- and it somehow works well, although I find the mall a bit too big -- and like it's own city.

(Most malls in NJ are either middle-class (Willowbrook) or very upscale (The Mall at Short Hills).

Somehow Garden State manages to be both. It is one of the most profitable malls in the country (despite the Blue Laws).

Anway, even on a regular Saturday it is absolute havoc. Even on weekdays the traffic gets backed up on Route 17. I think the populace keeps voting for the Blue Laws because of the incredible traffic problems that ensue every weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 10:53 PM

781 posts, read 1,200,489 times
I question the sanity of folks who decide to go out shopping on Thanksgiving night, wait on long lines outside in cold weather, head out at the crack of dawn on Black Friday. Especially with the advent of the Internet.

There's no sale or savings that could lure me out--to each his own, but, personally I would rather spend time with my family, or in bed.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:55 PM

724 posts, read 595,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
The only sad part about this story is the fact that millions of Americans will line up outside of big box retail stores all night long, waiting to trample fellow Americans in a desperate attempt to stuff as much meaningless sh*t into a shopping cart in celebration of their "Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ".

At least those working will have their dignity.

Agreed. I won't be one of them. I'll be buying everything online like usual.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:01 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,441,256 times
I used to volunteer to work every Holiday because I hate them so much.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:17 PM

491 posts, read 751,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
So your bitching because you don't have better job skills to get a different job? Do you call your boss master and receive beatings when you dont make your quota?

Oh yeah thats right there's the door your free to go do something else if you don't like it.
So because they want holidays off they should just get another job? No one said they did not like there job. Your post is just showing ignorance. I think Christmas and Thanksgiving should be a required day off for all businesses. If you can not afford to give a couple of days off a year you need not be in business.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:02 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,066,352 times
Why no outrage at the idiot shoppers?? They are the ones demanding the stores be open.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:03 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,467,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Why no outrage at the idiot shoppers?? They are the ones demanding the stores be open.
Have you not read through the thread yet? There's plenty of scorn for aforementioned idiot shoppers.

Here, I'll save you the need to read back: Idiots.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:04 AM

808 posts, read 1,681,745 times
I had to work a Black Friday once. Never again. It's the worst.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:05 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,066,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer84 View Post
So because they want holidays off they should just get another job? No one said they did not like there job. Your post is just showing ignorance. I think Christmas and Thanksgiving should be a required day off for all businesses. If you can not afford to give a couple of days off a year you need not be in business.
Yes if your job requires you to work holidays and you don't like it go get another job. It's not rocket science. I've worked more holidays than I can remember. Blame the folks who trek out and shop at midnight or now what is it 8 on thanksgiving day. Nobody shows up the store loses money and they don't open next time around.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:14 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,462,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
I say your a complainer that needs to get better job skills and go find a different job if you dont like it.

You dont deserve anything other than what you do to improve your lot in life.
I have a better job (you should've actually read the post, I specifcally said I do not work in retail anymore), with much better pay at $13 (just got my first raise this week, whoa) a hour for lax work. Remember I'm only a 20 year old college student, my options aren't great as some. So sorry to say but you failed at trying to put me down.

The thing that's pissing me off mostly about those who keep saying "if you don't like/want the job, then don't work there" are the same ones who probably complain about welfare recipients. It's not like people can just quit those jobs, there options may not be as broad as yours. And for those who keep saying the consumer demanded those stores to stay open, one word: lies. The consumer does whatever the company says, if the company says its open Thanksgiving they will come Thanksgiving, if the company says it will open at 10 PM, the customers will come at 10 PM.

Last edited by BMORE; 11-16-2012 at 12:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies