Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2012, 11:10 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,121,570 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if those stores asked for volunteers to work that day, or did they just pull in a whole shift?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 11:15 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,533,732 times
I don't start shopping for Christmas until the week of Christmas. Sometimes I wait until the 23rd of even the morning of Christmas Eve.

The Thursday that Thanksgiving falls on is a day for eating insane amounts of turkey and gravy with your family and watching the Detroit Lions football team lose... The next day is a good time to eat more leftover turkey and laugh at the news reports of all the fools brutally fighting to get to the front of Toys R Us or Walmart to score lead-filled, Chinese-made Tickle Me Elmos or something along those lines...

Last edited by Deezus; 11-16-2012 at 11:42 AM..

Old 11-16-2012, 11:25 AM

398 posts, read 698,881 times
I just buy things online, and due to my income level they tend not to be "big-box". Hey, there might be a great sale on the yarn website - I'll buy some yarn online on Black Friday and make some hats/scarves for Christmas gifts. Local farm store always has wine- and mead-making materials, I'll make folks some wine and mead for Christmas gifts, starting in Oct/Nov. No need for Black Friday. And done.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:31 AM

469 posts, read 1,871,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileVisitor09 View Post
You don't. But, not everyone is within a few minutes of their immediate family. Holidays are at least a given that all of my family members will be in the same place, and, all be off from work and school.
All that is, is just an excuse.

It's easier to make an excuse why you CAN'T spend time with family. Instead of actually making the necessary arrangments TO spend time with family.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:51 PM

20,467 posts, read 12,392,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbguy05 View Post
Thanksgiving is just another day. Why do you need a holiday to tell you when to spend time with your family. You should already be doing that. You have 364 other days to also spend time with your family.

This world is ran on greed, profit and consumption. You don't want to work on Holidays? Fine, no problem, don't. You can easily be replaced. (It's sad, but the truth).

The corporations do not care, and why should they? They can increase their profits, and there will always be able bodies to work for them. As a corporation, who wouldn't want that?

Need more customers? Lower the prices. There will ALWAYS be people willing to buy their product. Consumption. It's a vicious cycle.
uhm... i kind of like a holiday meant to give thanks that America is here.... we are blessed.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:54 PM

20,467 posts, read 12,392,439 times
So lets all boycott!

the left hates the idea of workers being forced to work on a holiday. the right hates the incroachment on a sacred day.

maybe both left and right hate both of these things.... I do...

so lets all vow not to shop on T-day. make the box stores wait on us until Friday morning!

Old 11-16-2012, 12:58 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,587,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
I'm wondering if those stores asked for volunteers to work that day, or did they just pull in a whole shift?
Volunteers? I wish!

They put everyone on schedule and most people work 12+ hour shift. My manager said "If anyone calls out on Thanksgiving weekend, they will be written up and get no hours for next two weeks".

Old 11-16-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Volunteers? I wish!

They put everyone on schedule and most people work 12+ hour shift. My manager said "If anyone calls out on Thanksgiving weekend, they will be written up and get no hours for next two weeks".

Damn, that's harsh. Sorry, dude.

When I was on the job, I had to work holidays. It sucked.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
So lets all boycott!

the left hates the idea of workers being forced to work on a holiday. the right hates the incroachment on a sacred day.

maybe both left and right hate both of these things.... I do...

so lets all vow not to shop on T-day. make the box stores wait on us until Friday morning!

You are correct, sir. If people didn't show up, then the stores would rethink their strategy.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:37 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,304,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
The only sad part about this story is the fact that millions of Americans will line up outside of big box retail stores all night long, waiting to trample fellow Americans in a desperate attempt to stuff as much meaningless sh*t into a shopping cart in celebration of their "Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ".

At least those working will have their dignity.
And they'll be doing it on the day of, or after, giving thanks for what they have. Idiots!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies