Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2012, 08:22 AM

20,495 posts, read 12,425,583 times

Advertisements

There is a simple fix for this.

Americans need to stay home and not shop on Thanksgiving.

That will put and end to this madness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 08:23 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,432,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileVisitor09 View Post
I question the sanity of folks who decide to go out shopping on Thanksgiving night, wait on long lines outside in cold weather, head out at the crack of dawn on Black Friday. Especially with the advent of the Internet.

There's no sale or savings that could lure me out--to each his own, but, personally I would rather spend time with my family, or in bed.
Totally agree with you...there is NOTHING I need so badly that I will venture out on Black Friday (let alone Thanksgiving evening). I feel sorry for those retail workers who will have to put up with the crowds of rude, grabby people on Thanksgiving as well as Black Friday. Unlike hospitals, police departments, etc., retail stores do not HAVE to stay open on holidays.

Working retail these days is no piece of cake, and with the state of the economy, some people have no other choice when it comes to jobs. Read on:

Quote:
While there have always been part-time workers, especially at restaurants and retailers, employers today rely on them far more than before as they seek to cut costs and align staffing to customer traffic. This trend has frustrated millions of Americans who want to work full-time, reducing their pay and benefits.

<snip>

“Many employers now schedule shifts as short as two or three hours, while historically they may have scheduled eight-hour shifts,” said David Ossip, founder of Dayforce, a producer of scheduling software used by chains like Aéropostale and Pier One Imports.

Some employers even ask workers to come in at the last minute, and the workers risk losing their jobs or being assigned fewer hours in the future if they are unavailable.

The widening use of part-timers has been a bane to many workers, pushing many into poverty and forcing some onto food stamps and Medicaid. And with work schedules that change week to week, workers can find it hard to arrange child care, attend college or hold a second job, according to interviews with more than 40 part-time workers.

<snip>

Mr. Flickinger, the retail consultant, said when Walmart spread nationwide and opened hundreds of 24-hour stores in the 1990s, that created intense competitive pressures and prompted many retailers to copy the company’s cost-cutting practices, including its heavy reliance on part-timers.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/28/bu...Db9e19KlXNptA&

Old 11-16-2012, 08:23 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,741,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post

But their little angels need to get that great big toy !!!
Otherwise they will throw tantrums and the parents will feel like they failed at being parents! :c rying:

Old 11-16-2012, 08:54 AM

11,413 posts, read 7,840,296 times
Quote:

Yep. It really is that simple.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:57 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,910,607 times
Quote:

This is it in a nutshell.

Personally, I wish we could focus on one holiday at a time rather than starting the frenzy three months in advance of whatever is coming next.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:30 AM

469 posts, read 1,873,083 times
Thanksgiving is just another day. Why do you need a holiday to tell you when to spend time with your family. You should already be doing that. You have 364 other days to also spend time with your family.

This world is ran on greed, profit and consumption. You don't want to work on Holidays? Fine, no problem, don't. You can easily be replaced. (It's sad, but the truth).

The corporations do not care, and why should they? They can increase their profits, and there will always be able bodies to work for them. As a corporation, who wouldn't want that?

Need more customers? Lower the prices. There will ALWAYS be people willing to buy their product. Consumption. It's a vicious cycle.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:23 AM

781 posts, read 1,199,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbguy05 View Post
Thanksgiving is just another day. Why do you need a holiday to tell you when to spend time with your family. You should already be doing that. You have 364 other days to also spend time with your family.
You don't. But, not everyone is within a few minutes of their immediate family. Holidays are at least a given that all of my family members will be in the same place, and, all be off from work and school.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:46 AM

691 posts, read 772,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I'll bet there are many employee's who would be willing to work for the additional extra money they will get by working on a holiday.

Maybe some people need to realize not every American thinks those days are special and sacrosanct.....

Exactly right. I would LOVE to be able to work on Thanksgiving More billable hours for me!

Old 11-16-2012, 11:03 AM

2,734 posts, read 4,159,448 times
I remember hating working on Black Fridays -- and we sure didn't get paid extra for it. However, we had to show up on our scheduled work day before Thanksgiving and also our scheduled hours on Black Friday, or we wouldn't get our holiday pay for Thanksgiving. That was our incentive to show up.

Fortunately the store I used to work for is not open in Thanksgiving.

I cannot even begin to tell you how horrible Black Friday was, especially the first one I worked. We didn't open until 6 a.m. but they usually opened the store 20 minutes earlier without warning (while we were still opening registers) before and the lines were long by 6 a.m.

The customers were difficult but it was MANAGEMENT that made us miserable. Talk about clueless. Of course they weren't the ones who had to ring the customers up and deal with their anger.

On my first Black Friday the genius store manager knew that there were MORNING coupons for $10 off a $10 purchase. Can you imagine such havoc such a coupon caused? Free stuff! Now I know that was an idiotic corporate decision, not the store manager's fault.

Anyway, there was only supposed to be one coupon per customer. Guess what? Our genius store manager decided the customers could have as many of these free stuff coupons as they wanted! These customers must have bought dozens of newspapers for the coupons! Of course it was a MORNING sale but the "morning" went from 6 a.m. to 1 p.m.

The genius store manager also decided that our 9.99 store brand towels could be included in this promotion. So every one of these towels the customer brought to us, we had to manually change the price to 10.00 (easy, but time-consuming). The store manager also decided that we were supposed to ring up each towel (while changing the price and scanning their accompanying coupon) SEPARATELY. Some of these people had 25 towels and the line was HUNDREDS of customers long. I kid you not.

After a few minutes of this I just decided "to hell with it!" and rang up all of a customer's towels TOGETHER and scanned all of their coupons. What difference did it make anyway? They were getting them FREE! The managers never said a word to me afterward.

The genius manager had also decided that there was only going to be ONE stock person -- for the whole frigging store -- from 6 a.m. until 2 p.m. He not only had to put stuff out on the floor but take customer-bought stuff down to customer pick-up. (stuff in housewares, bedding and china can be VERY heavy).

Customers wanted their items sent down to customer pick up but there was NO ONE to do it (we had to call the stock kid over the radio but the poor kid in stock - an excellent worker BTW - was completely overwhelmed by having to do this for the ENTIRE store - I felt so bad for him). The paid-for stuff sat by our registers for hours and we kept tripping over it. Finally customers started STEALING stuff out of those bags (for which others had already paid.) I finally called my extremely lazy department manager and told him this. That finally got his lazy ass in gear and he started taking some of this stuff to customer pick-up even though it was BENEATH him.

But worse than Black Friday was the NEXT day, Saturday. Word had spread that there was FREE STUFF! and there were even more customers waiting to get in!

The same sales were on Saturday morning but now the genius store manager decided that customers could only use THREE of the coupons (remember that there was only supposed to be one per customer to begin with). Many of the customers in line had been there the day before and had come back armed with fresh coupons. When they find out that they could only use THREE that day instead of one, havoc ensued. There was nearly a riot. Customers started screaming at us and refusing to leave, management started screaming at us because the lines came to a complete standstill, and it was a nightmare. Remember this is at 6 a.m. I'm cranky and tired and struggling with PMS. I'm trying to HARD not to start sobbing. I was always very good with customer service but this was just too much!

One customer was reeking of heavy perfume. Because of my exhaustion and lack of sleep, this triggered my allergies (I'm allergic to perfume, wool, dust, etc.). I started sneezing uncontrollably and feeling even more wretched. Finally at 7:30 I had had ENOUGH. PMS combined with a fierce headache combined with miserable allergies drove me over the edge. Fortunately by this time more salespeople had showed up. I called a manager over and told them I felt sick and was going home. I had to call my mother to pick me up and I went home and went to bed for the rest of the day. I really felt terrible and did not feel the least bit guilty.

When I came in the next day (Sunday) all of the towels were gone -- and so were the customers -- no more free stuff!

Fortunately the next year things were better organized. The morning coupons were changed to $10 over a $25 purchase. Still incredibly busy but nothing like that first year. The biggest problem is that you can't use a morning coupon on morning specials -- the customers just LOVED that

I also had a better department manager who wasn't so frigging lazy (although he was later fired for stealing from the store - he had a gambling problem)

The funniest thing though is that later some customers tried to return some of the free towels and thought we were going to give them money back!

So my favorite time of year to NOT be working in retail anymore is Black Friday. I so enjoy sleeping late, and not dealing with crazy management and customers. The sad thing is that I really enjoyed helping customers under normal circumstances. Sometimes I really miss it -- but not enough to work evenings, weekends, holidays, and be available 24/7 during the Christmas season. The sad thing is that retailers don't really give a fig anymore about customer service -- I was continuously told that I was TOO helpful and spent TOO MUCH TIME with the customers. They only care about sales and SELLING CREDIT CARDS. I could tell you stories . . .

Old 11-16-2012, 11:08 AM

24,457 posts, read 23,145,334 times
People with no concept about what the holiday means and no understanding of how America once was just want their cheap junk TVs, Phones, toys for their kids and themselves, and technocrap. Families are so dysfunctional no wonder they don't want to stay home with each other.
But its the nature of the business. As long as their are nitwits to part from their money from, the stores will fight to get it. You don't like working holidays, get a cushy civil service job. Before they downsize them which will be shortly.
Get it over with, hopefully the frenzy will die down by Christmas and we can enjoy it for what its supposed to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies