Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2012, 08:48 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,877,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
In President Obama's reccession economy, yes.

But it can be done - and it is a lot easier if one has a high school education.

It would be even easier had Mitt Romney been elected president, but the liberal sheeple had to vote for "The One" - and doom us to more economic pain.
Yeah, because Mitt gave two s***s about retail employee's. You were joking, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 08:50 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,647,061 times
Family shmamily, shopping deals are obviously more important. And if retail workers are going to be likened to doctors and cops on the basis of working through holidays, why not provide some balance to the similarities by pointing out the differences as well? Ya know, like pay? It may suck for Dr. Whoever to forego dinner with the wife and kids on Thanksgiving, but he's at least got a well-deserved six figure salary to make up for that gripe. Ask Marty the college-educated veteran at Sears if $7.25 an hour is providing the same compensation to skip out on having dinner with this family. And what about the importance for the functioning of society? Sure, nurse Sally may help remove your stillborn child from your pregnant wife who just got in a car accident while officer Sam searches for the drunk driver, but who cares about that when Nintendo Wiis are 75% off!!!!! Can you believe that???!!!! OMG!!!! Bust them doors open because I'm about to trample some poor suckers!!!!!

Point is, the only services provided on Thanksgiving day should be vital services. Wal-Mart, Target and Sears and the like....They. Are. Not. Vital.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:52 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,017,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
I think all of this holiday shopping on Thanksgiving is just nuts. I do not, and will not ever participate in such nonsense. Is the world really going to crumble if your local Target/Walmart closes for Thanksgiving or any holiday for that matter? Our materialistic society grows more obnoxious every single year. Shame on all of you who wrote that if the employees don't like it, well too bad, get a new job. Doesn't every single person have the right to enjoy a holiday with their family/friends? I work in a hospital, so I do have to work, but we're talking retail jobs here. Short of medical/police/fire, everyone else should be home enjoying.
Don't hospital workers, cops and firefighters also "deserve the right to enjoy a holiday with their family/friends"?

I also note that you didn't mention military personnel - whom generally have to work on holidays.

What makes any of those occupations "special"?

Why should retail workers be deemed "different"?

They aren't forced to work in retail - just as no one is forced to be a nurse or a soldier(any longer).

Everyone chooses their occupations.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
Yeah, because Mitt gave two s***s about retail employee's. You were joking, right?
Mitt Romney cared about people being employed - which includes retail workers.

Barack Obama doesn't care about people being employed - he just wanted to be re-elected.

You will note that we still have near double digit unemployment nationally - and double digit unemployment in three states (California, Nevada, and Rhode Island).

Old 11-18-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
Point is, the only services provided on Thanksgiving day should be vital services. Wal-Mart, Target and Sears and the like....They. Are. Not. Vital.
Oh yes.

Tell that to the recipients of water, food, and other neccesary materials provided by WalMart and its asociates and associates who VOLUNTEERED during Katrina and Sandy.

Tell that to the WalMart truck drivers who delivered care packages to airplanes which sent those boxes to our men and women in Iraq and Afghanistan.

But you liberals and WalMart haters don't care about that - do you - because that was private citizens and not government providing relief.

I will never make a purchase at a Walmart again (unless it is neccesary) and plan to never work there again, but I will never disrespect the good work that they do - or the VITAL service that they provide.

I am proud to have my 5 year certificate - I know that my employment did good for many people..

Old 11-18-2012, 09:07 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,653,382 times
Quote:
Don't hospital workers, cops and firefighters also "deserve the right to enjoy a holiday with their family/friends"?

I also note that you didn't mention military personnel - whom generally have to work on holidays.

What makes any of those occupations "special"?

Why should retail workers be deemed "different"?

They aren't forced to work in retail - just as no one is forced to be a nurse or a soldier(any longer).

Everyone chooses their occupations.
Many people nowadays do not "choose" their occupation. They take what they can get --- and this includes many college graduates.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:09 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
That poster mentioned illegal immigrants - not immigrants.

Can't you get the difference through your noggin?
That poster has an agenda and brings it up at every opportunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
Family shmamily, shopping deals are obviously more important. And if retail workers are going to be likened to doctors and cops on the basis of working through holidays, why not provide some balance to the similarities by pointing out the differences as well? Ya know, like pay? It may suck for Dr. Whoever to forego dinner with the wife and kids on Thanksgiving, but he's at least got a well-deserved six figure salary to make up for that gripe. Ask Marty the college-educated veteran at Sears if $7.25 an hour is providing the same compensation to skip out on having dinner with this family. And what about the importance for the functioning of society? Sure, nurse Sally may help remove your stillborn child from your pregnant wife who just got in a car accident while officer Sam searches for the drunk driver, but who cares about that when Nintendo Wiis are 75% off!!!!! Can you believe that???!!!! OMG!!!! Bust them doors open because I'm about to trample some poor suckers!!!!!

Maybe you can ask Suzy the hospital CNA, or Jane, the unit clerk, who also make $7.25/hr if they are getting compensated sufficiently. What's salary have to do with it?

Old 11-18-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Many people nowadays do not "choose" their occupation. They take what they can get --- and this includes many college graduates.
Name one person residing legally in the United States who is forced to work where they earn an income - besides the victims of human trafficking?

Slim pickings or not - they do choose to be employed.

Slavery is illegal in the United States.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:14 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
Quote:
Tsarist Russia eliminated serfdom - they weren't as backwards as you think.

Russia is a unique case - they went from bad to worse - by replacing autocracy with communism.

I guess that you forgot that communism in Russia was replaced in 22 years a go with republicanism - and the result is a much happier, and productive Russian workforce.
You missed my point.

My point was that there will be a reaction, not always the correct action. Just as I posted years ago about health care; better do something now, or people without will do something, and now you see what we have with Obama. Labor will react, and their reaction will not always be in anyone's best interest.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
This thread is not about Obamacare. Just b/c you are opposed to it, that doesn't mean you can bring it up in every thread. This issue has nothing to do with Obamacare. Walmart did this last year, and for many years stores have been opening at midnight on Friday morning and such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies