Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2012, 01:21 AM

37,138 posts, read 42,228,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
Dude, I work at a hospital and my hubby flies for the airlines- we work the holidays, no complaints. I am referring to retail, fast food type employment. I'm only 39, but I remember my parents filling the cars up before a holiday because gas stations were closed, as they should be on a holiday. Also, they managed to do all of their shopping before the holiday- who would have thunk people then could "plan ahead". God forbid American's not get their fill of fatty fast food and Chinese Walmart crap on Thanksgiving. Sheesh.
What if they don't give a rats ass about Thanksgiving? Just because "your remember" something doesn't make it worth anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
That is incongruent with the definition of "the poor" that Democrats use - most of which whom own big screen TV's, and iPhones - neither of which I own. Many of these "poor" are able to buy new cars. I own a car - but haven't driven it in 5 years because I can't afford to fix it - or buy a new one - due to the Obama recession.

However the "poor" who collect welfare can do so - small wonder - the liberals are redistributing money to them that they did not earn.

Us conservatives whom work - and live in the real world will not make a big "carbon footprint".
I own all those things. And if I lost my source of income tomorrow I would be poor, and still own all those things. Funny how that happens ehh?

Old 11-19-2012, 01:29 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I own all those things. And if I lost my source of income tomorrow I would be poor, and still own all those things. Funny how that happens ehh?
Losing your job would only make you poor if you have no savings and assets.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Losing your job would only make you poor if you have no savings and assets.
No savings correct. It doesn't mean you have to throw away all your stuff though or can't take a gift or have anything nice.. I love the "How DARE someone have an iphone and get foodstamps!" attitude though. Very amusing to me.

And btw all you people who can't afford jack...tv's only come in flat screen and they don't cost that much money so don't be jelly.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:37 AM

170 posts, read 203,430 times
Americans are spoiled. Don't want to work the holiday? Find a new better job or stop complaining.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:43 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
And I own a retail business that is open 365 days a year.

Don't work for me if you can't handle working holidays.

This wasn't a "surprise" you walked in to. You knew it up front.

You choking on a turkey bone and having someone working and/or on call to save your behind is just as important as me being open and working on holidays so my kids aren't going to college with their hands out to banks to give them student loans. Maybe you're ok with lots of time off and vacations and you rely on others to pay your way and your kids ways, I don't.

Lazy rules the world and wants the rest of us to pay for them so THEY can have "fun" and "family time" one day in November and one day in December. Grow up.

Pathetic bunch of Obama loving narcissists.

Let me guess, you sound like one of those people who say if you're making minimum wage and/or getting only 29 hours a week due to Obamacare you need to work a second (or third) job.

And you also sound like one of those people who will fire your employee when they can't be in two places at the same time when they are scheduled to be at TWO jobs at the same time on a holiday.

And can't your kids work to pay their own way through college? Or are they entitled to be lazy?

Old 11-19-2012, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffersondavis View Post
Americans are spoiled. Don't want to work the holiday? Find a new better job or stop complaining.

Sure I want to work the holiday but I can't be at BOTH of my jobs at the same time!

Old 11-19-2012, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
They can't choose to do so if they work at Target and it isn't open.

They can if they work as, say a stocker or janitor. And I once worked at Sears when it was closed - very briefly doing end-of-quarter inventory on a weekend.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
They can if they work as, say a stocker or janitor. And I once worked at Sears when it was closed - very briefly doing end-of-quarter inventory on a weekend.
The cashier wants to work too!!!

Anyway, this is a silly debate. Companies always have been open and always will be open and people can adapt or die. Thats how life works. I won't be a slave to a calendar and if I'm working a job that is open on holidays I would expect I might have to work and do WHATEVER it is you do on a holiday the day before or after. See how easy that is?

Old 11-19-2012, 04:40 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,850,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor
Big retail stores plans to stay open on Thanksgiving for new "Black Friday"... Employees against it!
Well they need to STAND UP and not go in!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies