Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2012, 11:07 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,586,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Most retail employees aren't paid all that much and so many would appreciate the chance for extra working hours. Or there are temp workers that would want the work.

But why should Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas be mandatory paid holidays for them? Especially those christian holidays... not everyone in the US is a christian.
Because those are the three biggest holidays, and the three main retail/mall holidays.
80% of Americans are Christians, and more than 9 out of 10 Americans celebrate those holidays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 11:22 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Why on a Sunday? In many places, stores are closed on Sundays (whether by law or own decision), and for most Americans it is a day of rest/worship/family time.

Many people except retailers have off on Day after Thanksgiving creating 4-day weekend, and schools have it off too.
Those who don't care to shop on Sunday have the choice to do so. But on Sunday, the vast majority of shops are already open. And the vast majority have Sunday off from work. It's a perfect match logistically. The general population does not "rest" on Sundays as is evident by shopping habits already in place.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:28 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,586,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Those who don't care to shop on Sunday have the choice to do so. But on Sunday, the vast majority of shops are already open. And the vast majority have Sunday off from work. It's a perfect match logistically. The general population does not "rest" on Sundays as is evident by shopping habits already in place.
Why not on a Saturday then? Many non-retailers are off on Saturdays too, and it's a regular hours like Mon thru Fri, while Sunday hours are reduced everywhere.

Many smaller stores are forced to stay open because of competition of large chain stores.
312 million people live in the US, and not all of them shop on Sunday.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:37 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,770,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I'll bet there are many employee's who would be willing to work for the additional extra money they will get by working on a holiday.

Maybe some people need to realize not every American thinks those days are special and sacrosanct.....
My wife works in a nursing home and volunteered to work Thanksgiving. She will work a 12 hour shift at double time and a half, which is 30 hrs pay straight time. Glad to make it and x-mas is coming up too. She has to take a couple vacation days to get x-mas off or will lose vacation pay, otherwise she would work it too.

We have had too many times of having very little income and are grateful for any extra.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:40 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,840,372 times
1. What is Black Friday anyway?

2. Why don't Wall Mart staff from a union?

Old 11-21-2012, 12:10 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
1. What is Black Friday anyway?

2. Why don't Wall Mart staff from a union?
1. Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving. It is dedicated to the start of holiday shopping and is often celebrated with excessive sales and discounts. The term "black friday" relates to pedestrian shoppers blocking traffic on Philadelphia streets. I don't fully understand the terminology.

2. Walmart does not want to go out of business.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:36 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Stores can be open whenever they want and it's not a matter of "fair". The longer the stores are open the more shifts need covering and the more people can be employed. Geeze, it's like you dont' want people to be able to make money. Give it up!

Being able to have time off is great, and everyone gets it, in in places open 365/24/7. Just not necessarily on the same day at the same time because some people think it's "nice". Besides, unless you are making retail your career it won't affect you more than a couple years at most. And if you ARE making retail your career then it's a career choice isn't it? The outrage cracks me up.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:52 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,804,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
um, i don't think this is about lazy people that don't want to work. and i think you know that. There is this other thing in life BESIDES work called LIFE. if LIFE is WORKING TWENTY FOUR SEVEN than that's not life, except for the rich. (who are now proven to be anti family)

and what's the point of having a holiday then? why not just cancel all holidays, if it doesn't matter if they are celebrated on a certain day, then why have them? boy conservatives would gladly see society and all life itself torn apart if it meant making ten extra cents one day.
Eliminating holidays and traditions is the complete opposite of conservatism. You are talking about capitalists. A true conservative preserves what is of value. This would include religious beliefs, natural resources, as well as labor rights.

As Lincoln stated, "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration."

Read more at Labor is prior to, and... at BrainyQuote

Old 11-21-2012, 05:11 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,688,839 times
These employees need to be thankful that they have jobs in the first place. This country is becoming a bunch of crybabies. "I have to work on the Holiday and I can't spend time with my family." Welcome to the real world where people have work schedules that cover 24 hours in a day 7 days in a week and 365 days a year. I remember being a rookie in my job and having to work all of the holidays until I gained the seniority to be able to take those days off. On occasion I get flack from those with less time than me for taking off the Holiday. I'm entitled as per our rules to take that time off so I do. Everyone who came before me did the same thing and I would NEVER complain about it. I paid my dues like everyone else so now I get to enjoy the perk of having the holiday's and weekends off. If they don't like it they can always stay at home and be unemployed. Heck the pay and benefits are not that bad. But if you are lucky enough and have decided to be part of the workforce put on your big boy/girl pants and go to work when you have to!!

Old 11-21-2012, 05:16 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
Yes, everyone should be thankful if they can be a wage slave who can't even enjoy life so a CEO can rake in another million or billion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies