Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2012, 11:56 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,111,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Wow.

I come from a military background, so I am of the "suck it up" mentality. I do understand that people want to be off on Thanksgiving, but if I understand correctly they don't open until 8. What's the earliest that these people have to show up for work? 6pm? Move dinner up. At my house, the food was done by 2pm.

Some of you all act like a holiday off is a right. It's not. It's a privilege. Find a law written anywhere that companies MUST give employees Thanksgiving and Christmas off.

It is so hard to have sympathy for someone who is fortunate to have a job complain about working at that job. Tell you what: as you are getting ready for work, think about some of the people on the Unemployment thread who would LOVE to have your problem. Ungrateful people complaining about working on Thanksgiving is all kinds of irony.
Sorry, I disagree with this. Being in the military and working at a retail store are two different worlds. Someone isn't ungrateful because they would like to spend the entire Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays with their families. Spending time with family is a lot more important than someone being able to buy a cheap TV at 8pm on Thanksgiving night. We need military personnel working holidays, nurses, doctors, etc. but we don't NEED Target to be open. It isn't the workers who are ungrateful, it is the consumers who are greedy and don't care that someone else misses time with their families so they can go shopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 12:05 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
Sorry, I disagree with this. Being in the military and working at a retail store are two different worlds. Someone isn't ungrateful because they would like to spend the entire Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays with their families. Spending time with family is a lot more important than someone being able to buy a cheap TV at 8pm on Thanksgiving night. We need military personnel working holidays, nurses, doctors, etc. but we don't NEED Target to be open. It isn't the workers who are ungrateful, it is the consumers who are greedy and don't care that someone else misses time with their families so they can go shopping.

First, I never said that working in the military was the same as working at a retail store. I only mentioned it because I come from a background where I had to work weekends and holidays, hence the "military background" part of my post. So, I don't see the big deal about working holidays. Guess I should have spelled it out.

Thanksgiving is not the only time that you can spend with family. Again, coming from a military background, we had to "move" holidays around to celebrate when I was available. Do you feel bad walking into the bank at 459 pm right before they close? Why would the customers be expected to care? If the store is open, they will be there.

Yes, anyone lucky enough to have a job and complaining about working a few hour on a holiday is ungrateful to me. Agree to disagree.

Oh, I do ALL of my shopping online. Wanted to spell that out also.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:21 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Retail employees fight "Black Friday creep" - CNN.com

Many large retail stores like Target, Walmart, Toys R Us, Sears, and KMart will be the first chain retail stores to be open early for "Black Friday" shopping on Thanksgiving Day at 8 pm. Some other retail chains will stay open for Thanksgiving too for the first time.

Employees are against it, because they will not be able to spend important and traditional holiday with their family, and must show up to work (even hours before opening). More than 100,000 people have signed petition to change it, so stores keep closed all day on Thanksgiving for quality of life for the employees.

The CEO's and higher-ups who makes the decision on when to open the stores are the ones' who won't be working on Thanksgiving & Black Friday. They'll be home with their families (May probably check sales hourly so they can calculate how much bonus they will be receiving), while the people who need their minimum wage jobs are the ones' who will be missing out on Thanksgiving with their families. It's an example of how the rich are messing up with the low-income people

^ This is ridiculous and very sad how our society has been turned into. Stores are only closed for 1 - 3 days per year (used to be even on more holidays), but now they try to take away those too.

Thank God the town I live in, stores cannot be open before 7 AM (Including Black Friday) and must close at 11 PM, even though some tried to fight for keeping them open at 5 AM, or earlier for Black Friday.
This is due to Quality of Life for residents, workers, and business owners'!

ALL retail employees deserves to be OFF and get paid for Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas Day!
Unless they can pass a law like the blue laws of past ;its not going to happen. Even government will be against it since it will effect retail sales numbers that are not always madeup later. I see no difference in retail than others who have had to work holidays since I can remember back to the 50's really.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:31 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,980,722 times
Do police officers, fire fighters, nurses, doctors, Paramedics, the military, do any of them get a day off for the holidays? No, it's their job, and they do what is required of them.

If you want protection from working too many hours or unfair days in a field like "retail", then join a union. Unions will fight for fair pay and fair hours, but it seems most of this country forgets that we owe, 40 hour work weeks, the weekend, child labor laws, and vacation days to Unions.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:32 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,436,809 times
Myth
"ALL retail employees deserves to be OFF and get paid for Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas Day!"

A employee deserves only what concession he can gain from his employer. I can't see why some retail wal-mart person deserves an accommodation that movie theater employees, restaurant employees, hospital employees, police force employees, firemen, airport works, plane drivers DON'T GET.

If you don't want to work thanksgiving, get a job that never works thanksgiving.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:33 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,211,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Let's not forget, no sales incentives or commissions. I guarantee that would turn into better customer service.
A great and cost effective benefit (and great teaching/learning experience) would be to give stock to employees......even if it's just one( for the least paid people).

Old 11-19-2012, 12:51 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Not this one. I didn't shop on Black Friday last year and I will not this year.
well...maybe not you

but alot do

Best Buy Black Friday Shoppers In Line One Week Before Thansgiving

this guy is in line ALREADY for black friday

Old 11-19-2012, 01:14 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,401,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Myth
"ALL retail employees deserves to be OFF and get paid for Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas Day!"

A employee deserves only what concession he can gain from his employer. I can't see why some retail wal-mart person deserves an accommodation that movie theater employees, restaurant employees, hospital employees, police force employees, firemen, airport works, plane drivers DON'T GET.

If you don't want to work thanksgiving, get a job that never works thanksgiving.

I agree with what you say in principle but too much of America has traded to greed and put aside some things that matter in the balance such as a holiday celebrating rememberance and family. There was a time that the need to buy a TV could wait, that more importance of a holiday and family mattered, what does it say about our society when a item that will mean not much a year later is traded away for that?

Fire, police, doctor, those are life sustaining or protecting fields and needs, buying or selling a TV or blackberry is not.....

One time when I worked for a auto dealership Friday afternoon the general manager told us he needed us to come in memorial day because it was toward the end of the month and the "numbers" were behind for the month so he wanted to squeeze in the most he could so the " numbers" for profit would look better for him when he submitted it to his boss the owner. I volunteered reluctantly and he said the techs would show up and he promised to make up for it to us. I showed up, only two techs out of 15 showed up, and I sat there doing NOTHING all day on memorial day. He never made it up to us, he never punished those that just didn't comply to show up, in fact two months later he was fired.

So money and "numbers" are more important than remembering the fallen dead for our country? I had a big S for sucker on my forehead that day while everybody else was off and being on commission I got pad nothing extra for being there so next time F them when they ask me to "do it for the company".

Old 11-19-2012, 02:40 PM

170 posts, read 203,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Not this one. I didn't shop on Black Friday last year and I will not this year.
So what? Millions of other Americans will.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:29 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffersondavis View Post
So what? Millions of other Americans will.
And that is what will drive retailers to open Thanksgiving Day. It is that simple. I don't like it myself but it is what it is.

For the record I worked a 12 hour day last Black Friday and it drove me to get a job where I would get all Federal Holidays off which I have now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies