Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2012, 07:27 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Dangerous protecting the employees from being treated as slaves?!
Very sad that people like you think that way....
In NJ, at least, people have the choice of career, employment, and pay scale. How is that slavery?

It's really simple. If you want to make your own hours, start your own business. If you want relaxed hours, practice general medicine.

In all reality, I get it though. You joined the retail industry because you have a passion for giving customers the best shopping experience. You thrive for customer experience and buyer satisfaction. In order to fulfill your passion, you chose your line of work. If you consider that the customers that show up to shop on Thursday night also want the best shopping experience, you get to act on your passion and be the best retail employee you can be. Focus on your larger goals... which in your industry is to provide a shopping experience for the customer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 07:39 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,397,074 times
I'm getting so sick of this bullsh*t! Employees should be against it. What, they're not entitled to time with their family? Every year the commercials start earlier and earlier. The US has become so obsessed with material goods and consumerism. Yet another example of how the corporate greed is running and ruining this country!

Old 11-20-2012, 07:45 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,455,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
I'm getting so sick of this bullsh*t! Employees should be against it. What, they're not entitled to time with their family? Every year the commercials start earlier and earlier. The US has become so obsessed with material goods and consumerism. Yet another example of how the corporate greed is running and ruining this country!
They are free to quit their jobs.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
It's really shoppers to blame. The retail industry just caters to shoppers. Both retail shop owners and retail employees have passionate loyalty towards customers (hence why they chose to be in that industry). I find it surprising that an employee would be against satisfying their own passion.

I do agree that shoppers should probably wait until Sunday so that no one has to work on Thursday. But that's not the case. The retail employees should be happy that they get another opportunity to provide an excellent shopping experience.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:47 PM

415 posts, read 615,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Plus police, nurses, etc generally don't work 5+ day weeks. Our hospital requires nursing staff to work only two major holidays per year, in three year increments. Thanksgiving & Christmas are the only true retail holidays at most stores anyway...workers there shouldn't lose what little time they already have off to be with their families.
I was going to say this. Most hospitals/nursing homes/ etc have rules about holidays. I was once a nurse's aide. When I worked hospice the office was closed completely and only patients who had serious medical need received care and we were not to bathe them unless necessary. Out of my four patients, I only had to see one on each of the holidays, and I was paid holiday pay of 8 hours, plus my visit rate + 1/2. My visit rate was regularly $16. That day it was $24, plus 8 hours holiday pay. When I worked in both a nursing home and a hospital everyone got 2.5 their regular pay if they worked that day. If they did not work that day they got 8 hours holiday pay. My hourly rate as an aide at a children's hospital was $11; on Christmas I was making $27.50 an hour. Its also on a volunteer basis - you don't HAVE to work the holidays if you don't want to. Because of the insane extra pay for working holidays though, people line up and fight over the holidays - at least they did at the places I worked at.

I also worked Macy's - very different. They don't treat their employees very nicely (and Macy's is better than Target or Wal-Mart!). Black Friday was mandatory. I didn't get any pay for Thanksgiving or Christmas. The store was closed those days. If you called in without a very good reason you got written up and removed from the schedule for a certain amount of days. I was not paid anything extra for the headache that was that day, even though I was there at 5AM. Oh, and EVERYONE was written in on Black Friday. Even all the managers. "Good excuse" options were a) act of god; b) doctor's note c) circumstances out of your control such as a car breaking down d) direct family member is sick and/or dying and can be proven with documentation. That was it.

Target and Wal-Mart are way, way worse. Target is trying to make it all look so pretty by saying its on a volunteer basis - I call BS, its not, I'm sure every employee is written in, whether they are needed or not.

If the American public really did tell Wal-Mart and Target they want to shop on Sundays, this country is really full of idiots and morons.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suissegrl702 View Post
If the American public really did tell Wal-Mart and Target they want to shop on Sundays, this country is really full of idiots and morons.
Sunday would have better reach, wouldn't it? A lot of people have to work on Friday and cannot shop.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:03 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
You know, retailers aren't all closed and even some that are now have been open in the past. The schedule is constantly evolving and changing depending on the times. I worked holidays at JC Penney back in the day, they were the only store in the mall open but they did a few years while I was there. So if they open again this year or next it's not like a big new thing that they are doing to screw over their employees or anything. People sure do have funny ideas of WHAT SHOULD BE when they have no clue about WHAT WAS over years. I can only laugh at them.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:11 PM
miu

17,767 posts, read 40,158,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
ALL retail employees deserves to be OFF and get paid for Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas Day!
Most retail employees aren't paid all that much and so many would appreciate the chance for extra working hours. Or there are temp workers that would want the work.

But why should Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas be mandatory paid holidays for them? Especially those christian holidays... not everyone in the US is a christian.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:01 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,585,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suissegrl702 View Post
I was going to say this. Most hospitals/nursing homes/ etc have rules about holidays. I was once a nurse's aide. When I worked hospice the office was closed completely and only patients who had serious medical need received care and we were not to bathe them unless necessary. Out of my four patients, I only had to see one on each of the holidays, and I was paid holiday pay of 8 hours, plus my visit rate + 1/2. My visit rate was regularly $16. That day it was $24, plus 8 hours holiday pay. When I worked in both a nursing home and a hospital everyone got 2.5 their regular pay if they worked that day. If they did not work that day they got 8 hours holiday pay. My hourly rate as an aide at a children's hospital was $11; on Christmas I was making $27.50 an hour. Its also on a volunteer basis - you don't HAVE to work the holidays if you don't want to. Because of the insane extra pay for working holidays though, people line up and fight over the holidays - at least they did at the places I worked at.

I also worked Macy's - very different. They don't treat their employees very nicely (and Macy's is better than Target or Wal-Mart!). Black Friday was mandatory. I didn't get any pay for Thanksgiving or Christmas. The store was closed those days. If you called in without a very good reason you got written up and removed from the schedule for a certain amount of days. I was not paid anything extra for the headache that was that day, even though I was there at 5AM. Oh, and EVERYONE was written in on Black Friday. Even all the managers. "Good excuse" options were a) act of god; b) doctor's note c) circumstances out of your control such as a car breaking down d) direct family member is sick and/or dying and can be proven with documentation. That was it.

Target and Wal-Mart are way, way worse. Target is trying to make it all look so pretty by saying its on a volunteer basis - I call BS, its not, I'm sure every employee is written in, whether they are needed or not.

Thank you. Hopefully more people realize their big mistake for supporting stores being open on major holidays.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:04 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,585,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Sunday would have better reach, wouldn't it? A lot of people have to work on Friday and cannot shop.
Why on a Sunday? In many places, stores are closed on Sundays (whether by law or own decision), and for most Americans it is a day of rest/worship/family time.

Many people except retailers have off on Day after Thanksgiving creating 4-day weekend, and schools have it off too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies