Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2012, 04:49 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,507,138 times

Advertisements

This out of control greed and materialism in America is a cancer. It will be the downfall of this country, I have no doubt of that. I don't consider all the federal holidays special per se but people need to spend less time at work not more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 05:22 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,263,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
Wow, what an awesome boss you must be. Gotta make a buck 365 days a year, can't take that cash with you, y'know? BTW, I assume you'll be working the holidays, too. Certainly you wouldn't think of taking a holiday off, right?
It's the nature of the business.

In this economy, I absolutely have to make that buck 365 days a year. I have to pay my bills and I have college funds to stick money in to, I have my own retirement to save for (no pension) and my own healthcare to pay for 100%.

Because most of my employees are students, they go home for Thanksgiving. I have one who is going to come back to campus in the late afternoon and my other employee who is FT, wants nothing to do with the holiday, so she will be there all day. The ones who work holidays know they will get time and a half and they also get a bonus when their shift is over

I used to work the full day, then I had kids. I won't be there for more than a few hours. My husband works the full day along with one of my siblings. Always has. Hard to get a babysitter on Thanksgiving.

Same goes for Christmas. And Easter, and 4th of July and Labor Day and Memorial Day and every other holiday.

Last edited by Informed Info; 11-19-2012 at 05:52 PM..

Old 11-19-2012, 05:48 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,263,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Let me guess, you sound like one of those people who say if you're making minimum wage and/or getting only 29 hours a week due to Obamacare you need to work a second (or third) job.
I don't even know what that means. Obamacare isn't going to affect us. We are a SMALL small business. We have less than 10 employees including ourselves, only one FT employee.

I have already have a second full time job-I'm a landlord.

Quote:
And you also sound like one of those people who will fire your employee when they can't be in two places at the same time when they are scheduled to be at TWO jobs at the same time on a holiday.
Spoken like someone who has no clue what owning a business is all about.

But no, not unless the employee doesn't tell me in advance and is just a "no show" on one of the busiest days of the year when I counted on him being there and when they just don't show up I have to scramble to find someone else to come in or cancel my plans b/c of it, and they employee does it more than once. That's just being an irresponsible employee.

Quote:
And can't your kids work to pay their own way through college? Or are they entitled to be lazy?

I'm sure they could, but that's not what I'm going to have them do. I'm responsible for educating my children, and it is important to me that they not graduate with $100s of thousands of dollars of debt when I didn't have to and neither did my husband. After their freshman year they can do the same thing I did: get a part time job for spending money.

I don't see how that would make anyone lazy. I'm not lazy, my husband is not lazy, just because one doesn't work their way through college does not make one lazy.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:45 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,587,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Myth
"ALL retail employees deserves to be OFF and get paid for Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas Day!"

A employee deserves only what concession he can gain from his employer. I can't see why some retail wal-mart person deserves an accommodation that movie theater employees, restaurant employees, hospital employees, police force employees, firemen, airport works, plane drivers DON'T GET.

If you don't want to work thanksgiving, get a job that never works thanksgiving.
Very selfish. Retailers know that they will be closed on Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas Day. Movie theaters, hospital employees, firemen, airport staff, etc. know that they are open on holidays (and may be expected to work) so it's a difference. Virtually all restaurants are closed on Christmas, and most also for Thanksgiving, and some even on Easter Sunday.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
And that is what will drive retailers to open Thanksgiving Day. It is that simple. I don't like it myself but it is what it is.

For the record I worked a 12 hour day last Black Friday and it drove me to get a job where I would get all Federal Holidays off which I have now.
Actually the government is to blame for this. There are lack of labor laws that protect the workers unfortunately. Also competition between big stores!

If the government enforced stores to be open at certain hour, then they would be following it, and no competition at all.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
This out of control greed and materialism in America is a cancer. It will be the downfall of this country, I have no doubt of that. I don't consider all the federal holidays special per se but people need to spend less time at work not more.
True. People in Europe, and other developed countries laugh at us for the long working hours, lack of labor laws, lack of vacation, etc.

Sad, and it sucks!

Old 11-19-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Wow.

I come from a military background, so I am of the "suck it up" mentality. I do understand that people want to be off on Thanksgiving, but if I understand correctly they don't open until 8. What's the earliest that these people have to show up for work? 6pm? Move dinner up. At my house, the food was done by 2pm.
Thanksgiving Day is not only about "eating food early, and get to work to serve hungry customers, and make corporates happy getting bonus while we work 12 hour stressful slave-shift minimum wage". You eat food, and you want to enjoy spending time with family ALL DAY/NIGHT.

Quote:
Some of you all act like a holiday off is a right. It's not. It's a privilege. Find a law written anywhere that companies MUST give employees Thanksgiving and Christmas off.
No, there isn't. The United States (Shame on us) is the only developed nation in the entire world that does not have any law mandating any paid or unpaid days off from work, whether it is for holiday, vacation, sick, or any other personal day. This needs to be changed immediately, and we need statutory holidays!

Quote:
It is so hard to have sympathy for someone who is fortunate to have a job complain about working at that job. Tell you what: as you are getting ready for work, think about some of the people on the Unemployment thread who would LOVE to have your problem. Ungrateful people complaining about working on Thanksgiving is all kinds of irony.
No, you need to blame the government for not protecting the citizens due to lack of labor laws.
Those without job should be payed and supported 100% until they find a job, and the government should help them find a job.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:53 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,993,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Unfortunately it's true

Part of it is due to lack of labor laws that protect the employees. Companies do not care about their employees, and want to make profit and think about themselves only.

This message illustrates a void in the American intellect. Do you have any idea were the few inadequate Labor Laws that we do have came from? Do you think they came down from on high like mama? Do you think they came from the magical Free Market? Do you think they came from our employers who have a caring generous heart? Really.

No, they came from the collective action of our workers who formed U-N-I-O-N-S. It was a bloody struggle and thousands of American workers died to bring them about and get employers to understand they had to deal with them if they wanted a working business.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:30 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,864,651 times
Simple answer... Don't go shopping on Thursday and delay it on Friday as well. Want to see the Waltons worry... stop the flow of 10 billion into their accounts om Friday. and make it zero on Thursday. I hope the flu doesn't strike....cough...cough It sure looked like a bunch of retail folks were looking a bit puny , it sure would be a shame if they got a cold.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:45 PM

860 posts, read 2,206,000 times
While I believe a company should be free to impose work schedules, this is becoming beyond ridiculous. Start shopping while the damn turkey is still settling in the stomach? Maybe if us shoppers stopped looking like jackasses by pitching a tent in front of a store a week before the sale and reduce the demand for "Black Friday creep", we can allow those companies to let their employees spend time with their families Thanksgiving night.

I worked in retail years ago. So glad to not be a part of the damn circus it has become now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies