Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2012, 09:39 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I did - for five years - with a college education - and I was an associate, not management - being paid less than I do now.

I dislike that company too - but I don't hate them as you seem to - based on your comments - and I support their good work and charity.
I never said I hated Walmart or its workers. My last boyfriend worked at Walmart. I am saying that if someone had a better option than working very hard at a low-paying job they would take it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 09:41 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
I never said that anyone can choose "not to work" - but nice try putting words in my mouth - FAIL!

I SAID that anyone who does work, chooses to do so.

If you disagree, then please explain why.
They can't choose to do so if they work at Target and it isn't open.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:42 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times
Quote:
I never said that anyone can choose "not to work": - but nice try putting words in my mouth - FAIL!

I SAID that anyone who does work, chooses to do so.

If you disagree, then please explain why.
Maybe we don't even disagree. Most people cannot pick and choose where they work. That's the point I have been trying to make. They will take a job when and where they can. This includes many highly educated people. These are desperate times.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:44 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Maybe we don't even disagree. Most people cannot pick and choose where they work. That's the point I have been trying to make. They will take a job when and where they can. This includes many highly educated people. These are desperate times.
It's always "desperate times" for some. The fact is that sometimes you have to work instead of play, that includes the days on the calendar with HOLIDAY stammped on it. That's ALWAYS been life.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:45 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
"only vital services should be open", "Short of medical/police/fire, everyone else should be home enjoying"....I quote. Just he last 2 pages too.
Why are those "vital services"?

Aren't retail stores typically open on Thanksgiving in the early A.M. and P.M. hours?

Are you claiming that they should not be, or that gas stations, airports, and airlines should also shutdown for the holiday?

Will you refuse to drive on that day to reduce "global warming"?

I take the bus - and walk - so don't blame me.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:48 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,645,352 times
Quote:
But if people want to work on Thanksgiving doing something frivolous why are you insisting they shouldn't get to? What do you imagine they would be "enjoying"? Do you think everyone has the same life? Seriously, answer me.
Because working on Thanksgiving sucks, that's why they shouldn't get to enjoy frivolous activities in rampant consumerism. If Wal-Mart/Sears/Target execs really want to be open on Thanksgiving day, FINE, they can peel their fat asses from the dinner table and run the stores themselves. But they don't, do they? No. That explains their stance on operating hours.

Christmas is still another month out, so people need to chill out for a change and just enjoy grandma's turkey stuffing. I have a retail job but I didn't take it because I wanted it, I took it because it's the only job offer I've gotten thus far. Maybe I'm a cynical ass (matter of factly, I think I am), but retail hours suck bad enough without the shopping hysteria of Black Friday. I actually like this job overall believe it or not, but this Black Friday creep is beginning to suck what little joy there is left in working in retail.

And no, I don't think everyone has the same life. I don't even know what you mean to imply with that question.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:49 PM

Quote:
But if people want to work on Thanksgiving doing something frivolous why are you insisting they shouldn't get to? What do you imagine they would be "enjoying"? Do you think everyone has the same life? Seriously, answer me.
Frivolous?

Do you think that everybody has the money to shop previously and access what they need before Thanksgiving?

How out of touch with the poor can you be?

Oh, you live in the Bay Area - I guess that I should give you a "pass".

Old 11-18-2012, 09:52 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Frivolous?

Do you think that everybody has the money to shop previously and access what they need before Thanksgiving?

How out of touch with the poor can you be?

Oh, you live in the Bay Area - I guess that I should give you a "pass".
Blackfriday is not targeting the poor.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
They can't choose to do so if they work at Target and it isn't open.
Exactly - and Target won't be open if liberals like you advocate for their employees to not show up for work.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I think that we agree.

Thanks for clarifying your position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies