Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2012, 09:23 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,051,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
This thread is not about Obamacare. Just b/c you are opposed to it, that doesn't mean you can bring it up in every thread. This issue has nothing to do with Obamacare. Walmart did this last year, and for many years stores have been opening at midnight on Friday morning and such.
I hope that you are responding to Boxus - whom did bring up healthcare.

I only responded to that post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
You missed my point.

My point was that there will be a reaction, not always the correct action. Just as I posted years ago about health care; better do something now, or people without will do something, and now you see what we have with Obama. Labor will react, and their reaction will not always be in anyone's best interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 09:28 PM

37,158 posts, read 42,290,039 times
It's just a DATE ON THE CALENDAR people. You can have a turkey dinner or watch football with your family anytime you choose. My family has postponed both Christmas and Thanksgiving meals for various reason in the past. Birthdays too. Don't focus on A DATE!! People who do that clearly have issues and probably can't imagine hanging with their kin any other time. Some people never celebrate with family. Who are any of you to tell people when they can and can't work and why? The small mindedness of people never ceases to amaze me. YOU ARE BUYING INTO HYPE! The sad part is the sheep never realize it.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:31 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,665,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Name one person residing legally in the United States who is forced to work where they earn an income - besides the victims of human trafficking?

Slim pickings or not - they do choose to be employed.

Slavery is illegal in the United States.
Do you really think anyone would work at Walmart or delivering pizzas for example if they had any other options? You can call that free choice, but it's not really.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Who are any of you to tell people when they can and can't work and why?
No one is telling anybody when they can and can't work.

That is the entire point - in the United States, people choose to work or to not work.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:

That is the entire point - in the United States, people choose to work or to not work.
"only vital services should be open", "Short of medical/police/fire, everyone else should be home enjoying"....I quote. Just he last 2 pages too.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:34 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,665,550 times
Quote:

I don't know what you're talking about. Unless you are independently wealthy or have someone else supporting you, you have to work. Even if you go on public assistance, there are time limits and requirements that one seek work. Most people that are on family assistance do so for less than 26 weeks. So I don't know who these people are that you think can choose not to work.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Do you really think anyone would work at Walmart or delivering pizzas for example if they had any other options? You can call that free choice, but it's not really.
I did - for five years - with a college education - and I was an associate, not management - being paid less than I do now.

I dislike that company too - but I don't hate them as you seem to - based on your comments - and I support their good work and charity.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:37 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,649,820 times
Quote:
Oh yes.

Tell that to the recipients of water, food, and other neccesary materials provided by WalMart and its asociates and associates who VOLUNTEERED during Katrina and Sandy.

Tell that to the WalMart truck drivers who delivered care packages to airplanes which sent those boxes to our men and women in Iraq and Afghanistan.

But you liberals and WalMart haters don't care about that - do you - because that was private citizens and not government providing relief.

I will never make a purchase at a Walmart again (unless it is neccesary) and plan to never work there again, but I will never disrespect the good work that they do - or the VITAL service that they provide.

I am proud to have my 5 year certificate - I know that my employment did good for many people..
So in other words, it wasn't conventional retail shopping services (which is what I was referring to) that proved vital, but instead something else entirely (or in this particular scenario, disaster relief which is anything but exclusive to big box retailers). Thank you for proving my point.

Btw I take a liberal stance on most but not all social issues, and a conservative stance on most but not all fiscal issues. I'm not sure how that figures into your dicked up argument, but I thought I'd throw that info out there anyway.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
So in other words, it wasn't conventional retail shopping services (which is what I was referring to) that proved vital, but instead something else entirely (or in this particular scenario, disaster relief which is anything but exclusive to big box retailers. Thank you for proving my point.
But if people want to work on Thanksgiving doing something frivolous why are you insisting they shouldn't get to? What do you imagine they would be "enjoying"? Do you think everyone has the same life? Seriously, answer me.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I don't know what you're talking about. Unless you are independently wealthy or have someone else supporting you, you have to work. Even if you go on public assistance, there are time limits and requirements that one seek work. Most people that are on family assistance do so for less than 26 weeks. So I don't know who these people are that you think can choose not to work.
I never said that anyone can choose "not to work" - but nice try putting words in my mouth - FAIL!

I SAID that anyone who does work, chooses to do so.

If you disagree, then please explain why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies