Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2012, 08:24 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,466,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Easier than said
Well then why did you just (I assume) vote to maintain the status quo?

Quote:
Will you provide for me and thousands of other retailers a better job?
I am not an employer with the resources to employ thousands of people... BTW...I think that millions of Americans, not thousands, work in retail.

Quote:
BTW the county I live at has blue laws which keep stores closed on Sundays, and on Black Friday mall/store hours in my city are 7 am - 11 pm
Good for you, but those laws don't exactly help the economy.

Quote:
However, this concern is for rest of America being forced to work. I'm not selfish, I'm thinking about others!
No one is being forced to work anywhere. Slavery is illegal in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 08:30 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,586,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
No one is being forced to work. That's called slavery and was abolished in this country 150 years ago.
"If any of you call out on Black Friday, Thanksgiving weekend, and on weekends during December month, and on holidays, you will be written up and get no hours for next two weeks".

Managers to employees: "I don't care if you don't want to work, or need the day off, I'm thinking about the money coming in for the store and company"

"Too bad, you must work because it's part of job to show up, or risk of getting fired by corporates"

"NO, you cannot take off. If you call out for any reason, I will have you, CEO, and me sitting down on a meeting, and you will be in trouble".

^^^^ What's the difference between being forced to work, or risk of getting fired/written up/yelled at?!

Old 11-18-2012, 08:30 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
OK - so you are saying that people who work at WalMart are unhappy. So was I when I worked there, but I moved on to greener pastures and better pay.

Nobody is making anyone work for WalMart - they do so because they choose to show up each day.

If they are "hostile" because of poor work conditions - then they should be seeking other employment while working at WalMart - rather than throwing a tantrum and refusing to clock in.
The nature of Walmart, for years have been driving everyone out of business. No competitors for the labor market, thus can afford to practice the management style they do.

Ignoring labor is never a good idea, like Animal Farm, they will eventually decide to do something about it themselves, regardless if it is the right way or not. For example, tsarist Russia ignored labor's complaints and you see where it got them, and the world, labor reforms were sped up due to this threat.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
"If any of you call out on Black Friday, Thanksgiving weekend, and on weekends during December month, and on holidays, you will be written up and get no hours for next two weeks".

Managers to employees: "I don't care if you don't want to work, or need the day off, I'm thinking about the money coming in for the store and company"

"Too bad, you must work because it's part of job to show up, or risk of getting fired by corporates"

"NO, you cannot take off. If you call out for any reason, I will have you, CEO, and me sitting down on a meeting, and you will be in trouble".

^^^^ What's the difference between being forced to work, or risk of getting fired/written up/yelled at?!
Do you really not understand what I'm saying? No one is forcing you to work at a place where working holidays or weekends is required. You are free to work elsewhere. Go to school so you can get a better job. And don't vote to maintain the status quo if you like the status quo (the shortage of jobs).

Old 11-18-2012, 08:34 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,017,688 times
Quote:
The difference is that nobody is forced to work anywhere.

That is what slavery entailed.

If you are unhappy with your employer, then today you are free to go elsewhere and provide a service for a wage.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:35 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,586,993 times
Quote:
The difference is that nobody is forced to work anywhere.

That is what slavery entailed.

If you are unhappy with your employer, then today you are free to go elsewhere and provide a service for a wage.
Easier than said.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
The nature of Walmart, for years have been driving everyone out of business. No competitors for the labor market, thus can afford to practice the management style they do.

Ignoring labor is never a good idea, like Animal Farm, they will eventually decide to do something about it themselves, regardless if it is the right way or not. For example, tsarist Russia ignored labor's complaints and you see where it got them, and the world, labor reforms were sped up due to this threat.
Tsarist Russia eliminated serfdom - they weren't as backwards as you think.

Russia is a unique case - they went from bad to worse - by replacing autocracy with communism.

I guess that you forgot that communism in Russia was replaced in 22 years a go with republicanism - and the result is a much happier, and productive Russian workforce.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Easier than said.
In President Obama's reccession economy, yes.

But it can be done - and it is a lot easier if one has a high school education.

It would be even easier had Mitt Romney been elected president, but the liberal sheeple had to vote for "The One" - and doom us to more economic pain.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
In President Obama's reccession economy, yes.

But it can be done - and it is a lot easier if one has a high school education.

It would be even easier had Mitt Romney been elected president, but the liberal sheeple had to vote for "The One" - and doom us to more economic pain.
**You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Harrier again.**

Old 11-18-2012, 08:45 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,877,787 times
I think all of this holiday shopping on Thanksgiving is just nuts. I do not, and will not ever participate in such nonsense. Is the world really going to crumble if your local Target/Walmart closes for Thanksgiving or any holiday for that matter? Our materialistic society grows more obnoxious every single year. Shame on all of you who wrote that if the employees don't like it, well too bad, get a new job. Doesn't every single person have the right to enjoy a holiday with their family/friends? I work in a hospital, so I do have to work, but we're talking retail jobs here. Short of medical/police/fire, everyone else should be home enjoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies