Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 04:07 PM

8,633 posts, read 9,142,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
The Titanic didn't sink for a while after hitting the iceberg. And the people who drove it into the berg, never intended to sink the ship. Their intentions were entirely benign - getting the ship to its destination quickly.

But as soon as it hit, the people on board who knew what they were doing, knew immediately the ship was doomed, long before it slipped under the waves.

Just because Obamacare and other leftist schemes haven't driven the nation to destruction yet, doesn't mean it isn't headed for the bottom as a result of them. And despite the benign intentions of those driving the programs.

Ummm, no it isn't. To anyone who knows history and human nature, the actual results of these programs are preordained, and even obvious.
If it is clear millions of business and citizens can not pay the for profit insurance premium it will end because the people said so. If it ain't sustainable it ain't sustainable. As I said before, Obamacare will change from the original bill because it will have to if need be. Americans on the delivery of health care are so divided because the current system is a patchwork nightmare that once Americans are sharing the pain and united at the same time, it will change in a big hurry. I don't think this, I know this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 05:39 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,861,228 times
Ah yea, health care is gona change big time and in a hurry, thats for sure. Just hope I'll be able to afford it.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:46 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,654,874 times
The biggest actions Americans could take to reduce health care costs is to stop concentrating on healthcare policy and instead take a look at themselves and take steps to reduce obesity (35.7 of Americans are obese) and reduce smoking rates.

And the amazing thing is that one's weight and smoking behaviors are 100 % under an individual's control: nothing to do with healthcare policy or the republicans or democrats! Only you would have to eat less, smoke less, and start exercising --- i.e. take some personal responsibility for health instead of criticizing the government all the time.

According to the CDC:

"In 2008, medical costs associated with obesity were estimated at $147 billion; the medical costs for people who are obese were $1,429 higher than those of normal weight."

"Cigarette smoking costs more than $193 billion (i.e., $97 billion in lost productivity plus $96 billion in health care expenditures)."

That's per year ! Just think savings of $340 billion a year are possible ! So stop looking to the government to solve everything, take action yourself or help family members or friends lose weight or stop smoking.

Obesity and Overweight for Professionals: Data and Statistics: Adult Obesity - DNPAO - CDC

CDC - Fact Sheet - Fast Facts - Smoking & Tobacco Use

Old 11-18-2012, 05:52 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,702,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
The biggest actions Americans could take to reduce health care costs is to stop concentrating on healthcare policy and instead take a look at themselves and take steps to reduce obesity (35.7 of Americans are obese) and reduce smoking rates.

And the amazing thing is that one's weight and smoking behaviors are 100 % under an individual's control: nothing to do with healthcare policy or the republicans or democrats! Only you would have to eat less, smoke less, and start exercising --- i.e. take some personal responsibility for health instead of criticizing the government all the time.

According to the CDC:

"In 2008, medical costs associated with obesity were estimated at $147 billion; the medical costs for people who are obese were $1,429 higher than those of normal weight."

"Cigarette smoking costs more than $193 billion (i.e., $97 billion in lost productivity plus $96 billion in health care expenditures)."

That's per year ! Just think savings of $340 billion a year are possible ! So stop looking to the government to solve everything, take action yourself or help family members or friends lose weight or stop smoking.

Obesity and Overweight for Professionals: Data and Statistics: Adult Obesity - DNPAO - CDC

ummm...I know it seems somewhat related, and it's good information, but it seems more Off Topic than on. How does it relate to the title of the thread about the purpose of Obamacare?

I don't want to discourage you. Maybe start a new thread. Michelle O will appreciate you for sure.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
ummm...I know it seems somewhat related, and it's good information, but it seems more Off Topic than on. How does it relate to the title of the thread about the purpose of Obamacare?

I don't want to discourage you. Maybe start a new thread. Michelle O will appreciate you for sure.

This thread started with an opinion that "the real purpose of Obamacare was to expand government control."

My point, which I think is appropriate for this discussion, is that all of us have something far closer to us that is within OUR OWN CONTROL concerning healthcare--- the decisions we make every day about our own health and lifestyle.

We wouldn't need to worry so much about what the government is doing, the size of its healthcare expenditures, if individual Americans got the one thing under control that really IS in their own control --- their weight and bad lifestyle habits.

We can argue that there is a healthcare crisis in the U.S. because of out-of-control costs and government policies we don't like --- or we can first take a look at ourselves and how obesity and unhealthy lifestyles are impacting healthcare costs.

People want to debate Obamacare endlessly, but how many of them are making any individual effort to curb healthcare costs?

Old 11-18-2012, 06:39 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,702,384 times
^^^ Fact is, we have Obamacare which will have a huge financial impact on everyone --whatever their personal habits - the very fit and the not so fit, the young and the old and older. Some conditions we can control, some we can't. That's an education project that Michelle has already embarked upon.

Can you comment on what you think about the statement: Purpose of Obamacare was NOT to provide healthcare.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:41 PM

488 posts, read 412,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post

According to the CDC:

Think about it: You want people to live their entire lives by estimated costs from a slanted source immersed in lookint o the interests of profitable health industries. Is that all life is? Savings & expenditures? Is the new morality based solely on the dollar sign and health prohibitions meant to slake the irratability of the Thou-Shalt-Nots?

Co-existence does not mean enforcing one way for all. Think about what these 'experts' want. It has nothing to do with health so much as control and job security. There will always be another menace to be policed.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEternalSanctuaryMan View Post

Think about it: You want people to live their entire lives by estimated costs from a slanted source immersed in lookint o the interests of profitable health industries. Is that all life is? Savings & expenditures? Is the new morality based solely on the dollar sign and health prohibitions meant to slake the irratability of the Thou-Shalt-Nots?

Co-existence does not mean enforcing one way for all. Think about what these 'experts' want. It has nothing to do with health so much as control and job security. There will always be another menace to be policed.
I'm not sure what you mean. People would be saving their own lives by stopping smoking and not being obese. I don't see that it has much to do with the experts.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
^^^ Fact is, we have Obamacare which will have a huge financial impact on everyone --whatever their personal habits - the very fit and the not so fit, the young and the old and older. Some conditions we can control, some we can't. That's an education project that Michelle has already embarked upon.

Can you comment on what you think about the statement: Purpose of Obamacare was NOT to provide healthcare.
Well I do think the purpose of Obamacare IS to provide healthcare access to those who are currently unable to access it because they cannot afford health insurance.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:49 PM

13,425 posts, read 9,960,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Remember the wealthy are the business owners and they only make up 1%.
Longshot that they could have swayed the election.
The wealthy are the business owners?

Seriously?

How many businesses are owned by just normal, average income earning people, do ya reckon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies