Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 02:00 AM

4,254 posts, read 5,608,410 times

Advertisements

No, but I've been reported at least a couple of times!

My badge of honor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 05:32 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,590,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Why on earth would I want to report someone for exercising their 1st amendment rights? I've dealt with plenty of people who had views that weren't considered politically correct, but I never felt the need to report them for vocalizing their opinion. At the most, I would point out what I disagreed with about what they said.
This I agree with!

Why report someone for expressing their opinions - unless you are a typical leftie that preaches tolerance but really only wants everyone to agree with your opinion or go away.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:26 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,993,521 times
Nope. I'm of the school of thought that snitches get stitches. As long as there is no threat of physical harm, it isn't my problem. Too many busy bodies in the work place as it is.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:27 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Sometimes, in the workplace, people say or do the wrong things.

They say something wrong about the blacks or hispanics.

...about gays or women or President Obama.

Have you ever reported them and if not what held you back from stopping what they were doing in the workplace?
I'm not a snitch. I don't report or rat people out. Nor am I into taking away someone's livelihood.

I'm a manager of my own department here at work, and I have anywhere from 15-20 people working under me at any given time. Lots of politically incorrect speech goes on here all the time. Mostly sexual, and as long as its **** and doesn't cross the line into harassment, I pay it no mind. My crew is pretty tight with each other.

What I won't tolerate is racial insensitivity of any kind. I had to get on one of my guys asses for using the term "diaperhead" and r*ghead ...I won't put up with that.

But generally speaking, I'm pretty laid back about most comments as long as no line is crossed.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:39 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,547,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I'm not a snitch. I don't report or rat people out. Nor am I into taking away someone's livelihood.

I'm a manager of my own department here at work, and I have anywhere from 15-20 people working under me at any given time. Lots of politically incorrect speech goes on here all the time. Mostly sexual, and as long as its **** and doesn't cross the line into harassment, I pay it no mind. My crew is pretty tight with each other.

What I won't tolerate is racial insensitivity of any kind. I had to get on one of my guys asses for using the term "diaperhead" and r*ghead ...I won't put up with that.

But generally speaking, I'm pretty laid back about most comments as long as no line is crossed.
Interesting.

Why would one allow most bad speech but have a zero tolerance for race-based discussions?

Isn't any kind of "-ism" unacceptable?

Old 11-19-2012, 11:41 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Quote:

Have you ever reported them and if not what held you back from stopping what they were doing in the workplace?
No, I haven't reported anyone for making a stupid comment or telling a stupid joke; we all step in it from time to time, we're human.

It's very different from entrenched, deliberate, institutionalized racism/sexism/homophobia/etc. I've seen this with my own two eyes in companies from people who rarely made off-color remarks. Actions speak louder than words.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:22 PM

78,433 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:

What's funny is that this post implies that workplace harrassment is directed against women, gays and blacks etc. and by default the originator of this oppression would be the unamed class in your post....the evil white male.

You don't really see what you just did there? Where can we report you?

P.S. Last several people fired around here for harassment have been women or do you just assume they sit in the secretarial pool getting their butts grabbed by Mr. Whitey BigDollars.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:28 PM

78,433 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Interesting.

Why would one allow most bad speech but have a zero tolerance for race-based discussions?

Isn't any kind of "-ism" unacceptable?
I think his point, which I agree with, is that there is a big difference between some guy talking about how hot beyonce's arse is or telling a joke about a rabbi, a bishop and a nun etc. and someone making hateful statements about other ethnic classes.

Basically, there is a scale of "politically incorrect" and there is a wide wide gulf between someone going all Mel Gibson and someone repeating a joke they heard from a comedian.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:54 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,945,348 times
No, tell the person what you think or let them know it's better to just work and not spout off ones opinion to often..........I think most the time people lips just move and they don't even realize it.

Some people just talk too much........

Old 11-19-2012, 02:06 PM

20,346 posts, read 19,937,992 times
Quote:
Have You Ever Reported A Co-Worker For Being Politically Incorrect?
Of course not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies