Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2012, 12:11 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Nobody threw a shoe at him.
I'll give Georgie Poo his due, he was pretty darn brilliant at ducking ! I was actually much impressed , he would have done brilliantly in the Circus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 12:12 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,443,995 times
Default Another "hate Obama" thread...

... dripping with RWNJ venom.

And some of you wonder why you're considered nutjobs.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:21 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,109,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
At least he had the guts to raise serious issue with Aung San Suu Kyi of the appalling massacres of Rohingya Muslims by Buddhists in the Rakhine state of Burma.

As for the mispronounciation of her name , she lived in the UK (and married a Brit) and must be pretty used by now to just about anyone being unable to pronounce it properly. Even experts on Burmese politics seem divided on how they pronounce it on air on British TV and Radio. Hardly worth the feathering and tarring.

He used both "Burma" and "Myanmar" in his speeches , until the name is officially changed back to "Burma", that is called Diplomacy. Democracy is a fragile blossom at the moment in Burma, antagonising the old guard until the new one is firmly ensconced would be pretty stupid. Things are changing pretty fast but anything could still destabilise a country which has suffered for far too long.

As for the spontaneous shows of affection, Aung San Suu Kyi must be pretty used to them by now. She was virtually mobbed in Oxford on a recent visit recently. Because of her high profile , strength and determination and her personality she has now become a global icon , she , whether right or wrong now belongs to the world. I cannot imagine her being that offended by a gesture of affection and respect. She did look awkward but offended ? Seriously ?

This a woman who has never stopped fighting, who lost her husband and children to the cause she was fighting for, she spent years abused and under house arrest unable to see her loved ones.

And has retained great dignity and now is on the cusp of realising what she has spent decades struggling for. And people think she will be somehow thrown or offended by people showing her how they admire her and respect her ? I think not. I think she has some far more important things on her mind at the moment.

Do some posters have nothing better than to carp on about trivial stuff or do they occasionally turn their attentions to actual genuine issues ?

The reception Obama got in Burma does not seem to indicate his behaviour to have been considered beyond the pale.... He seemed to be pretty popular with people.

Not so much in Cambodia though... Raising human rights issues is always going to be risky business.

Does it sting that badly that most of the world loves Obama and respects him ? And that Romney (and Bush when President) disgraced himself pretty much anywhere he went ? It must be hard to swallow someone you loathe so much actually being that popular but quite frankly these attacks are beyond puerile and churlish.

Grow up people. When people who chose people like Bush, Romney, Santorum, Palin, Bachman, Ryan etc... to represent their views I think pretty much anything you say has to be taken with a large pinch of salt. Talk about bloody disgraces and embarassing. I think the GOP can do a lot better so why does it pick so many lame horses. Is it a repressed sense of masochism ?
Can't rep you again. I don't know if you're male or female, but who cares - marry me please!? lol Thank you for another great and logical post. Logic escapes some here...

Old 11-20-2012, 12:30 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
If you write the name phonetically (see earlier link) you can get your head wrapped around the pronunciation.
You'd get a pretty rough approximation, but it's likely to still be off (including the phonetic pronunciation you listed). I speak several languages/dialects within the same language family. The most popular one, and one most likely spoken of that family in this forum so I'll use it for an example, is Mandarin Chinese. It's actually very simple in its tonal system with four tones (Burmese does, too, but also differentiates by phonation) and a kind of abbreviated fifth tone. Now we can take a really basic character in Mandarin Chinese that sounds like "ma". Just going through the 4+1 tones, that one syllable can mean, but is not limited to, "mom", "numb", "horse", "scold" or an ending participle indicating a question is asked . Now this might sound crazy to people who don't speak the language or aren't familiar with tonal languages as a first reaction is often that they all sound the same, but for people who speak the language they sound very different and it's odd for people to mistake one for the other.

Basically, any way most people pronounce it without being familiar with tonal languages or an ear acute enough to adjust is likely to be off. Does suck that Obama didn't get the core syllable right though. Not a good thing, but not really the worst of his career or the presidential office.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:30 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
Can't rep you again. I don't know if you're male or female, but who cares - marry me please!? lol Thank you for another great and logical post. Logic escapes some here...
I'm already married ( female by the way) but heck let's become one big polygamous love in of a group and really freak out some people on this forum ? I have never been that way inclined but I am starting to think the look on some people's faces might be worth it... Freaking out the freaks, always fun, wrong yes and yet so right !

Old 11-20-2012, 12:36 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Since only part of your response actually made any sense, I will respond to that piece:
I am not speaking for Thailand when I say he is an arrogant buffoon.
Touch that reality......
I would be pleasantly surprised if any of what I say gets through to people like you.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:37 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Ok now coming from me, you know Obama ain't my favorite person.

However somethings are just trivial. Big deal he has a couple of blunders, so what, what President really hasn't. More important things to concern ourselves with then his many blunders.

Such as the fiscal cliff, we will go over, and when we do, do you know how trivial a few of his blunders will seem.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:28 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,256,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Yeah and he conducts himself like a fine "Rock Star" we could have voted in Mick Jagger, if this is what represents an American President.
Mick Jagger wasn't born in this country.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:31 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,475,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Ah he is so tired from his long journeys on Air Force One...we must overlook this. He is after all...the most brilliant leader in the world.
Clown Obozo is a blundering idiot...that only stupid idiots would dare support.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:33 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,133,213 times
Whats important....is we find out who rigged the teleprompter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies