Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2012, 12:59 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,250,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post

Nothing like punishing success, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 12:59 PM

37,152 posts, read 42,265,203 times
I remember when I was young, and so was Walmart, Sam was held up as an ideal...someone who made something of nothing. There is a threshold, we say we love to see people be successful but not TOO successful. I can't remember exactly when the tide changed towards Walmart but it did.

Old 11-22-2012, 01:01 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,912,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Do you know what irony is?

Bashing a post that is critical of Commie Walmart that is successful because of Commie Chinese slave labor while accusing the poster of being supportive of Communism.

It seems your the Commie since you support Walmart.
Newsflash: China has not been a communist nation for many years. Walmart is a shining example of capitalism in action. They revolutionized retail and we are better off because of it.

Old 11-22-2012, 01:08 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,591,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
oh please

1. your are comparing a canadian store to an american store

2. your comparing a hardware store to a department(general) store

3. EVERY retail department/speciality/food store pay their employees in the SAME BALLPARK as far as salary and bennies.......Macy's pays the same as walmart

4. define """living wage"""
1, and you think an American store is better???? WHY.

2, I can buy anything at a home hardware store that I can at a Walmart except groceries and I hate Walmart's grocery division, it's not even in the same league as good Canadian Grocery stores. Also at the Home hardware I could buy every single thing I need to build a new 10,000 sq. Ft. house. Also at a Home hardware I don't have to go looking for anything. They have excellent service and the employees know where everything in the store is. If I want I could leave them a big list of hundreds of items I want and have it delivered to my house for no delivery charge, just like a pizza LOL.. Also the store is owned by a local resident. I can actually get a lot of items made in Canada at the HH store. There are just so many more reasons that a HH store is not even comparable to a Walmart. The Walmart represents the dumbing down of our culture. Lousy products, lousy employees, lousy service etc.

3, not every retail store is the same at all. Not many but some pay their employees very well. I worked at Sears for a few years and made excellent money. In my last year an average of $2500 a week in commissions plus full benefits plus pension plus expenses.

4, a living wage is a very sinple concept really. It's a wage that allows a full time worker to meet all the basic needs of life. Food, clothing, shelter, healthcare and all BASIC requirements of life. Walmart does not meet the definition in any respect.

Old 11-22-2012, 01:12 PM

37,152 posts, read 42,265,203 times
Quote:
a living wage is a very single concept really. It's a wage that allows a full time worker to meet all the basic needs of life. Food, clothing, shelter, healthcare and all BASIC requirements of life. Walmart does not meet the definition in any respect.
It does for some employees. Others are considered "starter jobs". Where do we draw that line and SHOULD we even try to draw it for someone elses business? Not every job can/should pay a 'living wage" to every employee. It's impossible.

I agree that business are taking advantage of this and cutting hours ALMOST SOLELY so they can avoid paying benefits. WHY? BENEFITS ARE EXPENSIVE!!!!!! The answer is to take employee benefits OUT of the equation and let people take care of their own. Then everyone will be asked to work 50-60 hours a week...lol.

Old 11-22-2012, 01:12 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,966,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Newsflash: China has not been a communist nation for many years. Walmart is a shining example of capitalism in action. They revolutionized retail and we are better off because of it.
Newsflash:

You better go tell the Chinese Government they are not communist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China

The PRC is a single-party state governed by the Communist Party of China with its seat of government in the capital city of Beijing.[14][15] It exercises jurisdiction over 22 provinces, five autonomous regions, four direct-controlled municipalities (Beijing, Tianjin, Shanghai, and Chongqing), and two mostly self-governing special administrative regions (Hong Kong and Macau).[16] The PRC also claims Taiwan—which is controlled by the Republic of China (ROC), a separate political entity—as its 23rd province, a claim controversial due to the complex political status of Taiwan and the unresolved Chinese Civil War.

Furthermore, as is typical in Communism, the top elite enjoy the spoils of the system while everyone else slaves away.

The success Walmart enjoys is because of Communist Chinese Government Policies

You cannot say that the market is capitalist and the government communist as if to separate the two either, because that would destroy the argument that our government policies have no effect on our capitalist markets.

Old 11-22-2012, 01:13 PM

45,474 posts, read 60,707,289 times
The $8 or $10 an hour Wal-Mart pays is going to mean different things in different areas as far as "living wage" goes. In MD it doesn't go far. In rural Northwest PA where I grew up $10/hr is top rate for many jobs. I was back for my 40th HS reunion a couple months ago and many of my friends who remained there talked about being up for jobs that pay $8/hr and were happy just to be in the running for them.

Old 11-22-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
5 Myths About the Chinese Communist Party - By Richard McGregor | Foreign Policy

Perhaps if you think China is so great, you would have no problem adopting their Communist government policies into ours?

I thought not

The bottom line, is that the ones that profit off of the Commie Chinese is that they like to twist and distort their views in order satiate their conscience when money and profits come into play.

Then denouncing communism on the other-side of their mouth.

Old 11-22-2012, 01:16 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,912,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Newsflash:

You better go tell the Chinese Government they are not communist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China

The PRC is a single-party state governed by the Communist Party of China with its seat of government in the capital city of Beijing.[14][15] It exercises jurisdiction over 22 provinces, five autonomous regions, four direct-controlled municipalities (Beijing, Tianjin, Shanghai, and Chongqing), and two mostly self-governing special administrative regions (Hong Kong and Macau).[16] The PRC also claims Taiwan—which is controlled by the Republic of China (ROC), a separate political entity—as its 23rd province, a claim controversial due to the complex political status of Taiwan and the unresolved Chinese Civil War.

Furthermore, as is typical in Communism, the top elite enjoy the spoils of the system while everyone else slaves away.

The success Walmart enjoys is because of Communist Chinese Government Policies

You cannot say that the market is capitalist and the government communist as if to separate the two either, because that would destroy the argument that our government policies have no effect on our capitalist markets.

They are not communist. In fact,technically speaking, there has never been a communist nation state. Try looking at more than labels. It is good them Chinese are doing jobs Americans are too pricey to do.

Would you like to work all day glueing soles on tennis shoes?

The goal of a capitalist business is to increase shareholder wealth, if that includes dealing with "communists" (ha ha ha) so be it.

Old 11-22-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
They are not communist. In fact,technically speaking, there has never been a communist nation state. Try looking at more than labels. It is good them Chinese are doing jobs Americans are too pricey to do.

Using your logic, we need more CEO's from around the world to flood the US markets that will work for 1/10 of the cost of pricey CEO's here in America

Would you like to work all day glueing soles on tennis shoes?

The goal of a capitalist business is to increase shareholder wealth, if that includes dealing with "communists" (ha ha ha) so be it.
Because that is in their best interests regardless of the harm done to others right?

Perhaps if there is an interest in it for me to helping Palestinians, Hamas, North Korean Commie Leaders, or Iranian State leaders I should get right on it?

Only problem is the ones that right the rule book and OWN our government basically tell us who we can and can't do business with, while they have no problem doing business if it is for their own profits and interests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies