Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2012, 12:27 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,507,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Where they live now the outer fringes of towns and cities , each cities master plan address's the housing more so outside the Mega cities....

And what happens when your population increases 50 percent and you can no longer expand outward due to things like growth boundaries?

Then where will poor people live? And will they be able to afford it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 01:09 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,131,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
They want to drive up the price of urban land to unsustainable levels and make housing unaffordable, like in Portland where buildable urban land goes for $500K an acre.
Who is they? That's not happening here in Houston or most cities for that matter as Portland has independently decided to enact policies that makes some areas un-developable. I find it funny that use the city in America that is most progressive when it comes to urbanism. I guess you wanted to start off at the extreme instead of the average....

Old 11-26-2012, 01:15 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,131,103 times
Quote:
And what happens when your population increases 50 percent and you can no longer expand outward due to things like growth boundaries?

Oh fun! We're engaging in wild speculation about the hundreds of millions acres being designated as no human development in the future!

Well I would say that we should start producing these awesome floating cities!

Even floating industrial parks!

Old 11-26-2012, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Who is they? That's not happening here in Houston or most cities for that matter as Portland has independently decided to enact policies that makes some areas un-developable. I find it funny that use the city in America that is most progressive when it comes to urbanism. I guess you wanted to start off at the extreme instead of the average....

I wanted to start with Portland because I have actually lived there and thus some familiarity with it. And yes, the smart growth people in Portland didn't have any good answers when I asked them questions.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:37 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,157,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
For those of you scoffing and using the "tin foil hat" line while it is good to be suspicious and not easily buy into something there are times when a conspiracy is actually really possibly, not just paranoia. So maybe you shouldn't dismiss something so easily? Those that actually might be involved in a real conspiracy probably want you to laugh it off.

What is also real possibly is there are those that are firmly commited to a cause and do believe the end justifies the means, what makes you think one of those people could never cross your path or step on your liberty? Plenty of you must believe so because I see so many here taking a side be it republican or democrat and saying the other side is out to destroy. Like the woman in the video said though you believe someone on *your side* without real questioning though.

There are those in extreme positions of power in this world, there are plenty of countries in the UN that doesn't hold individual rights to a higher regard, there are those that have taken global warming to a religion, it doesn't seem to me beyond the realm of possibilty that some might push a agenda with a end justifies the means mentality.

I think about how back in 1940 someone might have told a German that Jews were being sent a furnace and they replying " got your tin foil hat on too tight today haha?"

I think back to 1950 someone telling a American their government was giving veneral disease or drugs to people for testing and the person saying " got your tin foil hat on too tight today haha?

Maybe you think you are being smart and not one of those who fall for stuff when you shoot down a possible conspiracy but maybe you are being played after all?
Well stated

Old 11-26-2012, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Oh fun! We're engaging in wild speculation about the hundreds of millions acres being designated as no human development in the future!

Well I would say that we should start producing these awesome floating cities!

Even floating industrial parks!

You didn't answer my second question:

And will they be able to afford it?

Old 11-26-2012, 01:43 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,157,292 times
Quote:
Government took away the property rights of poor people decades ago. Where have you been all these years?
Speak for yourself....I know lots of people not born with a silver spoon in their mouths or trust funds who own property. They worked hard an bought and paid for their own little piece of paradise. I do not believe we should be supporting much-less financing the UNs Agendas on US soil when it will adversely affect our children and grandchildren.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:34 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,886,950 times
Quote:

Fringes , but we are not like Portland...at least New England isn't. Its very balanced , Poor , Middle Class and rich in each town living just fine... Each city is laided out in a way that it can handle large amounts of Growth , New England is just starting to reinvest in its cores and is not expected to grow that much only 6 million by 2050 not like the rest of the Northeast which will grow by 15-20 million and does have land issues.... If reinvest in all our small cities and towns we can head off the growing housing crisis for the poor and middle class...its slowly happening but needs to happen faster. On Between Philly and DC are you seeing exploding populations everyone else is a trickle...

Old 11-26-2012, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noihoforus View Post
Speak for yourself....I know lots of people not born with a silver spoon in their mouths or trust funds who own property. They worked hard an bought and paid for their own little piece of paradise. I do not believe we should be supporting much-less financing the UNs Agendas on US soil when it will adversely affect our children and grandchildren.

How many poor people do you know who bought homes when they were poor? (Most 'poor' homeowners are either elderly or disabled, suggesting they probably either inherited their homes or bought them earlier when they were working and not poor. I know only one person who bought a home when they were poor, and this person was on welfare at the time and got an inside deal with no money down from their grandmother in a declining and poor neighborhood.

I've done the math and know what I can afford, and government generally does not allow the sale and occupancy properties that small.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:29 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,171,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
That was thrown out as Democrats have taken over the whole state....the Tea Party was too radical for even conservative New Hampshire and you'd be surprised at there zoning regulations....its pretty Pro-Agenda 21....they don't want to change that...
Can you read? The GOP platform. The Democraps can't "throw out" the GOP platform. It was JUST approved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies