Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2012, 11:34 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,514,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
They want to drive up the price of urban land to unsustainable levels and make housing unaffordable, like in Portland where buildable urban land goes for $500K an acre.

Oregon has had urban growth boundaries in place for cities going back to the 1970s when they were championed by Republican governor Tom McCall. At the time farmers were in favor of the measure as well as enviromentalists--and it's managed to keep some valuable, productive farmland from being paved over with tract housing--the popular sentiment was that they didn't want the Willamette Valley to turn into California. All the same, they've expanded the boundaries multiple times especially in Washington County--and the whole metro still sprawls with newer housing--it's not as if it's completely stopped any sort of suburban expansion. The city of Portland doesn't have anywhere to expand since it annexed almost everything east to Gresham years ago and west to the Washington County line, so it's really an issue to the suburbs.

Property values in Portland proper have stayed high because people keep moving here for the amenities in the central neighborhoods--many of these people are moving to live close-in--they're not interested in living way out on the edge of the countryside in McMansions(on the other hand once you get to the outer eastside of Portland past 82nd Ave property drops way down in value) unlike people seeking to move to the suburban areas. It's really Washington and Clackamas County and the edge of Gresham and East Multnomah county where further development is an issue. It's debatable about how much we need to keep the current growth boundaries, and they'll evenutally develop more of the the Tualatin Valley as population countinues to grow out there. On the bright side at least the real estate bubble didn't crash as hard as places like Phoenix or Las Vegas or the Central Valley of California in Oregon.

However, Agenda 21 had nothing to do with the establishment of UGBs in Oregon. This started in the 1970s wihen the influx of Californian transplants started moving north.

And Agenda 21 was signed by George HW Bush in 1992, yet apparently someone took 20 years to get upset about this and start multiple threads about this non-binding resolution.

Last edited by Deezus; 11-26-2012 at 11:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 11:46 AM

1,422 posts, read 2,302,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post

Agenda 21 was signed by George HW Bush in 1992, yet apparently someone took 20 years to get upset about this and start multiple threads about this non-binding resolution.
You can thank Glenn Beck for that.

It's his latest money-spinning theme for extracting fear dollars from gullible Right-wingers.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:35 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,725,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
This will be funnier if you say it like George Thurogood or one of those barbers from Coming to America

So I was walking down the street today eating a twix bar and some guy came up to me, took my twix bar away...so I said, "What's the deal?" and he said, "Agenda 21."
Sorry to quote myself...

Just replace "Martin Luther King" with "Agenda 21."

Coming to America (6/10) Movie CLIP - Akeem Goes to the Barber (1988) HD - YouTube

Old 11-26-2012, 03:23 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by London Girl View Post
You can thank Glenn Beck for that.

It's his latest money-spinning theme for extracting fear dollars from gullible Right-wingers.

Right. He got the UN to marshall the countries of the entire world together to sign on to his global power grab. Do you even realize what you are saying?

I DO thank Beck for bringing it to our attention, though I first heard of it at my local GOP meeting when someone who knows Agenda 21 from the inside of the operation gave a presentation to the group. Since then I've continued to learn about it, unlike those who would prefer to ignore it because they just don't like the messenger, rather than do further research and make an objective assessment.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:23 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,487,651 times
The government has been shaping the way we live by encouraging the decentralization of our cities through regulation/zoning and subsidizing the automobile for well over a half century, and people called that "the free market at work." But now that people are increasingly wanting to move back to urban environments and drive less, and governments are updating their zoning codes and infrastructure to allow this, it's suddenly an evil plot by the UN to take away our freedom and property rights.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:14 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
The government has been shaping the way we live by encouraging the decentralization of our cities through regulation/zoning and subsidizing the automobile for well over a half century, and people called that "the free market at work." But now that people are increasingly wanting to move back to urban environments and drive less, and governments are updating their zoning codes and infrastructure to allow this, it's suddenly an evil plot by the UN to take away our freedom and property rights.
I'm not aware of people ever calling government regulations and subsidies "the free market at work".

Government has always been, and continues to be, an obstacle.

Remember, Reagan said that "government is not the solution; government is the problem."

Old 11-27-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I'm not aware of people ever calling government regulations and subsidies "the free market at work".

Government has always been, and continues to be, an obstacle.

Remember, Reagan said that "government is not the solution; government is the problem."
Most people don't know.

When something is built, government often dictates: (off the top of my head)
- how tall the building can be
- how wide the lot must be
- how far from the street the building has to be
- how many parking spaces have to be provided per occupant
- how much building space is required per occupant
- how the building can be used (i.e. can you run an auto-shop business out of the garage of your home)

This, along with subsidizing the construction of roads and utility infrastructure, is how modern suburbia (cul-de-sacs, big yards, big box stores, etc.) was formed. Yet most people think this just happened organically. (aka free market at work) If you want to see what an organic city looks like, look at European cities, because they were around a LONG time before things like zoning were invented.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:10 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
Default Agenda 21

This is obviously a plot to deprive all the auto companies and road builders of their "right to profits". How dare we let a really free market decide anything?

FWIW - zoning and city development codes are far, far older than European cities.

Agenda 21 is just another think for the RWA's to whine about and make a huge fuss about nothing just like any spoiled brat throwing a tantrum.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
This is obviously a plot to deprive all the auto companies and road builders of their "right to profits". How dare we let a really free market decide anything?

FWIW - zoning and city development codes are far, far older than European cities.

Agenda 21 is just another think for the RWA's to whine about and make a huge fuss about nothing just like any spoiled brat throwing a tantrum.
Really? In what way? (I can imagine a ruler--pharoah, emperor, king, pope etc.--dictating that they want certain things in certain places.)

Old 11-27-2012, 09:29 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,451,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Yes, I offered to allow people to learn about Agenda 21 from a Democrat who is an avowed lesbian. I don't think very many took the offer so I will try again. I know she spends a long time talking about Agenda 21 and what it is but so many know exactly nothing about what she talks about. Here is another opportunity to learn something about the scariest thing going on in the US these days.

How your community is implementing AGENDA 21 - YouTube
What people ought to do, if they don't believe there is anything wrong with it is to go to their own county website and look up "sustainable development" or check the "planning" department". If they find a bunch of "sustainable" programs, they'll know Agenda 21 is taking place in their community. They'll also find a bunch of non-governmental organizations that have sprung up to promote "sustainable development".

In my area even the colleges have added Majors in "sustainable development". It is completely CRAZY. There is NO community involvement or any voting on these "sustainable projects" through referendums. They just get pushed right through!

Before people do that they can go to ICLEI.org which is the international organization that has the sole purpose of forcing through Agenda 21 through guiding local officials ( who probably don't even know the dangers themselves) to implement it. On their site check out the "members" and see if their county or city is listed to CONFIRM their own local officials are working to put through a

Local colleges, and of course the BANKSTERS all have been commandeered to push it through and will all benefit from it.

Who doesn't like more sidewalks and parks and bike paths and light rail? What they don't tell you is what the real cost is and what the REAL purpose of Agenda 21 is to, via spending so much on infrastructure, force the public to pay for it AFTER it's been completed through higher property taxes; user fees; along with stricter regulations of what you can and can't do with your property; zoning changes to devalue your property forcing you into "walkable" high rise apartments where most of the population will be forced to reside. Suburbs will be turned into "open space".

Some property owners in my area are already complaining as their property values have declined as the zoning changes take place. A local business with a store front was faced with a $1000 fine for breaking some International code he never new existed... for having a torn awning that was the only thing on his property that had the name of his business. Since he didn't have $1000 to pay the fine or the money to replace the awning he was forced to take it down (and thereby removed the only signage he had).

An indicator that it is NOT a good thing are that two states have woken up and BANNED it, like every state should - Wisconsin and Alabama. Read this site for more info about how to find out about your own community.

Alabama Bans U.N. Agenda 21 Sovereignty Surrender | Citizen Review Online
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies