Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 07:20 AM

17,797 posts, read 13,692,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
2 cars, a house I own, 2 acres of land with maybe a pond attached.

Whats your idea of "well off." Do you envy others who are 'well off"? I don't. I just want to be "well off", too.
Well certainly you don't suffer from "class envy". Maybe when you become "well off" you can invite one of these poor people to your country club for a golf outing so they can see the light about this class warfare stuff.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:21 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,837,936 times
Sometimes, being well-off, and happiness don't go hand in hand. There is a difference between wanting, and needing.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:30 AM

4,882 posts, read 5,014,802 times
Can "well-off" ever be defined in such a way, as it would be acceptable to everyone? No, I don't think so. I'm "well-off", when compared to some in this country. Some in this country are "well-off", compared to me. The poorest in this country are "well-off", compared to the poor in other countries.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:32 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Needing what you have and having what you need and being content with it

That's silly, even burger flippers can be well off by your standard...as long as they have income. If you have what you need today, but no reserve for future needs, loss of income can make you destitute in a hurry.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:36 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
Quote:
i FEEL BAD FOR LIBS. pLEASE JOIN US ON THE CONSERVATIVE SIDE.
Why? Most of you are poor. You just drink the top dogs koolaid. I'll give you a little advice, the top dogs aren't in government, they own the Walmart's you guys love to shop at. You talk about freedom yet you're tied to the underbelly of society by your need for cheap crap because you quietly work at a low end job and secretly use government hand outs and the majority of you can't afford to shop anywhere else. Most of you employee places like Home Depot and Target in reality. I don't think a gun bought at Walmart constitutes a genuine American.

You don't promote a free and peaceful society, you promote a society dominated by the 1%. You promote your little chance to be in it. I have news for ya, most entertainers in this country aren't going to become Madonna, most are going to just buy her crap while she lives overseas. Most people aren't going to become the top 1%, stop letting them walk all over you because you're afraid you won't have that chance of becoming one when you grow up. They'll buy you out as soon as you get going anyway. They don't like competition, why would they?

One day you'll learn to stand up for yourselves instead of standing up for your pipe dream of becoming filthy rich or your fear of paying for others in the same boat as you. Why don't you just play the lottery and call it a day. Try just doing what's good for the majority of this country for a change. You look like minions for the Trumps, who have no problem stepping on you as they walk by.

If this plan you have worked for the majority of you nobody would have a problem with it, but it doesn't work, it's failed and failed large. It makes up the majority of fails in this country. Wake up.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:36 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
What is "maybe a pond"? Either you have one, or you don't.

"Well off" is a state which only that individual can determine, not others. It is not the right or perrogative of others to judge the "appropriate" economic status, needs or wants, of fellow citizens.

This is the problem with libs- like all totalitarianists who abhor liberty, they always want to regulate and interfere with the private lives of their fellow citizens. Why not let your fellow citizens decide what is appropriate for THEM and not for YOU?

Sorry, zoning does precisely that to which you object - even conservatives are okay with it. I want to buy a 400-sf house on a 2,500-sf piece of land and zoning says I can't do that.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:39 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Being able to live week to week, month to month, WITHOUT using credit cards.

If you have to use credit cards or use them without paying off the balance every month, you're only making banks well off.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:41 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Within 2-3 years, are you capable of being free from the obligations of work for the rest of your life.

Someone who makes 250K certainly is capable of that.
How would making 250k enable a person to be free from work in 2-3 years? If they used 50k a year and saved 200k, they would have 600k in three years + the tiny bit of interest they might earn. This would last them about 6-7 years after they quit work. If they invested in the market, they might make more but it is not likely in today's climate.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:44 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,962 times
"Well off" means you spend zero time or energy envying the wealth of others, or planning how you might lay your hands on it. This may be at any level of income or assets.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:46 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
i FEEL BAD FOR LIBS. pLEASE JOIN US ON THE CONSERVATIVE SIDE.
Most libs fall under the descriptions so far of being well off.,you think owning two cars and a house somehow makes you special? welcome to middle class America, As for becoming a rightie? i'm a liberal well off and happy in life,what are you offering?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies