Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 03:40 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,756,162 times

Advertisements

Free-market health care - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tell me why this is wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 03:42 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell14 View Post
Why don't you read the article?---it'll tell you why.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:43 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,080,363 times
Healthcare is fundamentally impervious to free market principles. Those depend on the actors being rational. No one is rational about their health.

No one.

I speak from the perspective of a 30 year career in healthcare.

2,042 posts, read 2,904,948 times
Quote:
If you run, say, a Mercedes dealership, and a person comes in who has no money to pay for a car -- and likely never will -- would you spend your time on them? Probably not.

Now, if health care were 100% free market, what's to stop proprietors from refusing care to those who can't afford it?

I did read it. So go ahead tell me what's wrong with it, Would it make people to free to make their own decisions? Regardless of what the tyrants in DC tell me to do I will do what I want when it comes to my healthcare.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
If you run, say, a Mercedes dealership, and a person comes in who has no money to pay for a car -- and likely never will -- would you spend your time on them? Probably not.

Now, if health care were 100% free market, what's to stop proprietors from refusing care to those who can't afford it?
Nothing. Why would someone not be able to afford healthcare if having multiple companies offering the insurance drives the prices down. There are several options if someone can't afford it. Do it for free,take payments etc. Free Market would make procedures much cheaper as well.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:46 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times

Why markets can’t cure healthcare

Quote:
There are two strongly distinctive aspects of health care. One is that you don’t know when or whether you’ll need care — but if you do, the care can be extremely expensive. The big bucks are in triple coronary bypass surgery, not routine visits to the doctor’s office; and very, very few people can afford to pay major medical costs out of pocket.

This tells you right away that health care can’t be sold like bread. It must be largely paid for by some kind of insurance. And this in turn means that someone other than the patient ends up making decisions about what to buy. Consumer choice is nonsense when it comes to health care. And you can’t just trust insurance companies either — they’re not in business for their health, or yours.

This problem is made worse by the fact that actually paying for your health care is a loss from an insurers’ point of view — they actually refer to it as “medical costs.” This means both that insurers try to deny as many claims as possible, and that they try to avoid covering people who are actually likely to need care. Both of these strategies use a lot of resources, which is why private insurance has much higher administrative costs than single-payer systems. And since there’s a widespread sense that our fellow citizens should get the care we need — not everyone agrees, but most do — this means that private insurance basically spends a lot of money on socially destructive activities.

The second thing about health care is that it’s complicated, and you can’t rely on experience or comparison shopping. (“I hear they’ve got a real deal on stents over at St. Mary’s!”) That’s why doctors are supposed to follow an ethical code, why we expect more from them than from bakers or grocery store owners.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:47 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,979,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post

The person that can't afford the Mercedes can easily go buy a Honda, which in most cases is significantly cheaper, more reliable, more efficient, and doesn't have unnecessary extras that you don't actually need.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:48 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,080,363 times
Quote:
Nothing. Why would someone not be able to afford healthcare if having multiple companies offering the insurance drives the prices down.
Did you just sleep through the last half century?

Old 11-28-2012, 03:49 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Nothing. Why would someone not be able to afford healthcare if having multiple companies offering the insurance drives the prices down. There are several options if someone can't afford it. Do it for free,take payments etc. Free Market would make procedures much cheaper as well.
Where in the world has this proven to actually work? We already know that single-payer government insurance does bring down cost and as I said above, you don't know the quality of your insurance until you need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies