Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we build the HSR network
Yes 192 60.57%
No 125 39.43%
Voters: 317. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 02:54 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,207,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantin23 View Post
Im sorry but the amerivan way of life has to change. We have to live in walkable communities with maby cultural exeriences. This excuse that the suburbs are frienslt for younger people is pointless, in walkable communities, kids have more freedom, and arent stuck in their boring neighborhoods( this is a throry for why suburban teen dug use is common, bevause many people are just bored). The car is obsolete and global warming is one of the smallest social an environmental problems. The car has killed the city, and the community. Next, it has replaced it with a mess if fake plastic houses (there are no good looking buildings in the suburbs), and an endless sprawl of corporate cultureless development, killing mainstreets around america and replacing them with walmarts who give all of your money to china, and lastly, the only
Reason anybody needs a car is because these sprawls are built for the car to guzzle gas, rather than being built for people to enjoy their lives in.
You also mentioned how people should not have to walk is a rediculos point. First LET ME POINT OUT THAT WE ARE THE FATTEST NATIONON EARTH. A little walking doesnt only get you places, but also keeps you. In shape.
Last, you mentoin the "slow speed
Of rail, these trains are travelling at over 200 miles per hour (faster than the obsolete automobile). To finnish my point, I beleive that giving up our communities, our planet (to global warming), and our real cultures (NYC not Hellston), is not worth having little timmy be able to grow up lazy.

The American way of life has and will shift away from this, people
Are deciding to fix up and live in old
Row
Houses these days, just as much as others want to live in McCraphouses all ploped out on a cornfield.

well, I sure as heck dont need someone from the city to tell me how to live. i also dont need someone from the concrete jungles to tell people who live in the country how to live either. you have already screwed up your cities with all that junk, so dont be telling the rurals how to live or where to live our lives.

I sure as heck dont mind driving back and forth to the country, as long as i dont have to go into the city. you might think that cars are obsolete, but do remember that without the engines in vehicles, not much would ever get delivered. there goes all that food delivered to the city.
as far as mccap houses in the middle of a cornfield, I take you just really dont know what a corn field looks like. if you want mccrap homes, just look out the windows of any city to see the crap that is in the inner city.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:21 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,553,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
well, I sure as heck dont need someone from the city to tell me how to live. i also dont need someone from the concrete jungles to tell people who live in the country how to live either. you have already screwed up your cities with all that junk, so dont be telling the rurals how to live or where to live our lives.

I sure as heck dont mind driving back and forth to the country, as long as i dont have to go into the city. you might think that cars are obsolete, but do remember that without the engines in vehicles, not much would ever get delivered. there goes all that food delivered to the city.
as far as mccap houses in the middle of a cornfield, I take you just really dont know what a corn field looks like. if you want mccrap homes, just look out the windows of any city to see the crap that is in the inner city.
I you think the city looks like a ghetto,
Take a walk in soho, or
The back bay of boston.
Also I dont mind the country, its
The suburbs I hate. Maybe vehicles
Are needed for
Farming, but besides that I think the only function of cars is to trash the enviornment, and kill communities.

Last, I am also advocating for the small train town with its main streets and victorian homes, and local economy. Those are no concrete jungles.
And have you ever hear of a freight train, or the pre auto era (food got into the city without vehicles).

Ps. I like the rows of feilds in the country ( something the high speed rail riders will enjoy from the comfortable interior of a bullet train, I just hate what we replace them with.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:31 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,424,105 times
Quote:
Reading through this thread I have lost all respect for the suburban republicans, I say we build it and we begin now
If you are using only your dollars, have fun...

Old 11-30-2012, 03:40 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,181,039 times
Too expensive and it won't draw enough use to keep it's head above water. The current east coast Amtrack HSR losses money each year so why make the same mistake. I would like to see more trolley systems like the one in San Diego for the various cities around the country. Just take the money out of the Dept. of Education, Labor and Energy to pay for them.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:41 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,424,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
Too expensive and it won't draw enough use to keep it's head above water. The current east coast Amtrack HSR losses money each year so why make the same mistake. I would like to see more trolley systems like the one in San Diego for the various cities around the country. Just take the money out of the Dept. of Education, Labor and Energy to pay for them.
Those budgets wouldn't build a rail system between San Diego and Los Angeles.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:47 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,863,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
Actually the Northeast is where they make the money about about a billion and growing fast....

Old 11-30-2012, 03:52 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,377,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post

I am sure as heck you don't mind driving that car made in an urban center with its pollution dumped in the river. Nor did you mind when they blew the tops off our mountains so you can suck down fuel. I am sure you don't care about where they make John Deer...

Old 11-30-2012, 03:55 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,756,723 times
Quote:
Im sorry but the amerivan way of life has to change. We have to live in walkable communities with maby cultural exeriences.
Nothing HAS to change. There is nothing wrong with the American way of life. It's fantastic out here in the suburbs. I can ride my care anywhere I choose. I'm not restricted by a railroad track. I can play football in the park, walk my dog, play golf on a golf course or ride a bicycle. Life is good in the suburbs.

Quote:
This excuse that the suburbs are frienslt for younger people is pointless, in walkable communities, kids have more freedom, and arent stuck in their boring neighborhoods( this is a throry for why suburban teen dug use is common, bevause many people are just bored).
Kids are stuck in their neighborhoods if they have to walk. And guess what? Kids can walk in the suburbs too.

Quote:
The car is obsolete and global warming is one of the smallest social an environmental problems. The car has killed the city, and the community. Next, it has replaced it with a mess if fake plastic houses (there are no good looking buildings in the suburbs), and an endless sprawl of corporate cultureless development, killing mainstreets around america and replacing them with walmarts who give all of your money to china, and lastly, the only
Reason anybody needs a car is because these sprawls are built for the car to guzzle gas, rather than being built for people to enjoy their lives in.
The car will not be obsolete in our lifetime. Count on it. Sprawl is wonderful. I love open spaces, and my house looks a lot nicer than those old crowded junk piles in the city.

Quote:
The American way of life has and will shift away from this, people
Are deciding to fix up and live in old
Row
Houses these days, just as much as others want to live in McCraphouses all ploped out on a cornfield.
Not any time soon. Millions of us live in the suburbs by CHOICE because we like it much better than living in a stinky crowded city full of "McCraphouses" on tiny little lots where people have no space and no privacy.

No thanks, but I'll keep my space in the suburbs. You can rot in the city in your "McCraphouse".

Old 11-30-2012, 04:36 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,553,508 times

Old 11-30-2012, 06:38 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,919,106 times
Yes we should build it. It is ridiculous that Europeans can get from London to Paris faster than Floridians can fly from Orlando to Miami. Of course there is opposition, as there is to any innovative form of transportation. And no doubt it would create new suburbs, as places within 160 km of center city become an easy commute. The Erie Canal cut the cost of ground transportation by over 90%, but during development it was derided as "Clinton's folly."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies