Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we build the HSR network
Yes 192 60.57%
No 125 39.43%
Voters: 317. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 08:11 AM

45,237 posts, read 26,470,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Consumers can be herded, and were. They also voted at the time to poke their nose into Iran... over what? And of course, that herding also helped us engage in the Middle East, something you've been in love with since.
I am against all foreign interventions, your attempt to change the discussion is noted.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:12 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,833,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I am against all foreign interventions, your attempt to change the discussion is noted.
Your consumers voted for it.

PS. Oil, Airline industry, middle east intervention and infrastructural developments are all related one way or the other but may be a bit too complicated for conservative minds.

Last edited by EinsteinsGhost; 11-30-2012 at 08:59 AM..

Old 11-30-2012, 08:13 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,685,226 times
Quote:
These three do make a lot of sense:
Dallas to Houston
Dallas to Austin (to San Antonio)
Houston to Austin (to San Antonio)
Do those cities have reliable intracity transit systems?

Old 11-30-2012, 08:16 AM

295 posts, read 359,081 times
Quote:
These three do make a lot of sense:
Dallas to Houston
Dallas to Austin (to San Antonio)
Houston to Austin (to San Antonio)
It almost happened in the 90's, but Southwest Airlines lobbied state legislators and killed (or so I'm told).

Old 11-30-2012, 08:19 AM

295 posts, read 359,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
There is an Amtrak between Dallas and Austin, but it leases a cargo rail and the cargo trains get right-of-way. So passengers are subject to long waits while cargo trains pass. There's a LOT of cargo on that rail (link from Mexico to Dallas).

Old 11-30-2012, 08:22 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,833,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
There is a pathetic service that connects Dallas to San Antonio via Ft Worth and Austin, and not even a pathetic one between Dallas and Houston. A family friend regularly takes the train from New Orleans to Dallas, and it feels like an eternity to her for having to literally circle around (via Houston to San Antonio to Dallas, includes change).

If there were a high speed rail service from Dallas to Houston and Austin/San Antonio, I would ALWAYS use it instead of having to drive. Dallas to Austin should be doable in 1.5 hours, about half the time it takes to drive, and without the nuisance that involves flying. The current service takes 1 hour between Dallas and Ft Worth (followed by a one hour stop in Ft Worth). Then another 3-4 hours to get to Austin. In other words, the time table could have run about 100 years ago.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:26 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,377,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
So you're against the 1%? Welcome to the Revolution, comrade!
Comrade? So now those who rebel against rentiers are all communists? So what your saying is the 13 colonies who rebelled against the British trade monopolies (the 1%), the landed gentry and nobility are communists?

Well if you feel that way, get out. Move to Britain and return a lost son as a the last vestige of royal loyalists. You really ought to be paying into the coffers of the royal family anyway.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Well, how do you propose we pay for these trains, and the thousands and thousands of miles of tracks, bridges, dozens of train stations, and all the other maintenance costs to the infrastructure that are involved?
How do you suppose we paid for all that exurbia housing

We printed 27 trillion dollars from thin air that's how. I am starting to think that this country is howling with insanity because they think there is a shortage of fiat currency generated on computers. Its bitcoins with taxing power behind it. The question is what should be created for and, how shall we retire it.

Quote:
A freight train only leaves the station when enough cargo is loaded to make the trip profitable, commuter trains leave on a schedule, no matter if they are empty of passengers.
Oh you don't say you mean like commuter cars are always loaded with passengers?

Quote:
People are not freight, they will only pay a standard ticket price and will not be happy if the norm is to sit around for six hours waiting for an optimal passenger load. The passengers at the other end will not be happy to wait six hours for their train to arrive, only to wait another six hours for their optimal passenger load.

Cities and states that do not get any benefit from the trains will not want to pay increases taxes to pay for the trains, so other people can ride on them either.
Which is why it should be paid for with rising real estate values and user fees. I am sure people who don't use roads don't like having to pay for them either.

Apples to apples.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:53 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,685,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
How do you suppose we paid for all that exurbia housing

We printed 27 trillion dollars from thin air that's how. I am starting to think that this country is howling with insanity because they think there is a shortage of fiat currency generated on computers. Its bitcoins with taxing power behind it. The question is what should be created for and, how shall we retire it.

Oh you don't say you mean like commuter cars are always loaded with passengers?

Which is why it should be paid for with rising real estate values and user fees. I am sure people who don't use roads don't like having to pay for them either.

Apples to apples.
You could have just typed "neener-neener" and left it at that. I really have no clue what you are talking about, or even which side of the issue you are on.

The point is, the people using the trains will not be paying ticket prices commensurate to the costs of operating the trains and upkeep of the infrastructure. The only way to pay for the trains will be to tax people who never use them, and we already have to pay for a government which spends too much to keep up with taxes as it is.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
You could have just typed "neener-neener" and left it at that. I really have no clue what you are talking about, or even which side of the issue you are on.

Which is your problem not mine. Please explain how we can run out of fiat currency? Please explain how the 27 trillion housing bubble banking fiasco didn't create credit out of thin air since we all know its a fractional reserve banking system that explicity outlines money creation at will.

But yes I know I am talking to a wall most of the time. I am on the side of reality. I am on the side of comparing apples to apples. I can't believe the the number of people on CD who are off on a psychogenic fugue or are entirely schizophrenic.

Quote:
The point is, the people using the trains will not be paying ticket prices commensurate to the costs of operating the trains and upkeep of the infrastructure. The only way to pay for the trains will be to tax people who never use them, and we already have to pay for a government which spends too much to keep up with taxes as it is.
Compare it to the highly subsidized road ways. That's my point. I like to consider realities like:

* There is an endless supply of money, and its never a limitation in the world of finance. That does not mean there is no limitation so the lords of parsimony can stick a sock in it. The real limitations are the real issue. In other words if we had to print money to stop a meteor from destroying the earth should we consider the fiscal policy and see what the accountants tell us? Its like a religion in numerology.

* the limitations are the resources in the real economy and all money printing is defined by its effect on human behavior. Human behavior is the economy, not the record keeping. If it causes sloth and corruption its bad. If it activates the work force its good. A high unemployment rate is a real time loss of labor every single day. Oil imports spew dollars into the international markets as does auto imports. That's the real world, not the financial world of mass delusion.

We print money all the time. Mostly its commercial banks printing money for real estate including the raw land values. In the real world, printing 1 million dollars to buy an empty lot means money creation with no new supply added at all. This is why financial wealth keeps going up with nothing to show for it.

But the good news is the F35 seats one and is always fully seated.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/most-e...214855071.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies