Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we build the HSR network
Yes 192 60.57%
No 125 39.43%
Voters: 317. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 05:33 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
how many miles between the big city you are near and chicago that you make the 1.5 hour flight to and from?

Old 01-12-2015, 05:33 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
All these arguments apply to HSR, but hsr rail has an upfront fee in the hundreds of billions of not trillions of dollars, maintaining air travel does not.

I am not against HSR completly, I am against it now because it doesn't make fiscal sense and I have yet to see an argument to the contrary.
As air travel becomes more congested, HSR makes more and more sense to relieve that traffic. Everything has an upfront fee, air travel does, interstates do, it makes no sense to be fine with the upfront expense for some things and not others. In the case of HSR, it makes sense to look at ways to upgrade our infrastructure and how we travel.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Most liberals are for windmills, until it's in their backyard.
Actually I am cool with wind turbines in my backyard. We have them all throughout the countryside in Oregon and they actually look quite beautiful in the scenery.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:38 PM

Quote:
As air travel becomes more congested, HSR makes more and more sense to relieve that traffic. Everything has an upfront fee, air travel does, interstates do, it makes no sense to be fine with the upfront expense for some things and not others. In the case of HSR, it makes sense to look at ways to upgrade our infrastructure and how we travel.
I like the idea of HSR, just as long as their is a demand for it (which i don't think there is here in the midwest)

Maybe just two High speed rail lines on each coast, there is more cities out there and they are more compact.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Not until we do years and years of ecological and environmental studies to assure that no endangered blind mole rats or some micro-organism will not be displaced or disturbed on the process.

But I assure you....there are NEVER environmental concerns when lefties want a project completed.
Actually environmental impacts are very important to any project, I would expect no different treatment to HSR than I do airports or freeways.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Well if a train is traveling at 200-250mph, how long would that trip be from city center to city center?

Old 01-12-2015, 05:45 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
"CNN’s Anderson Cooper is sticking with his series exposing the “boondoggle” of federal high-speed rail funding. In a segment aired Monday night, he and reporter Drew Griffin hammered away yet again at their argument that high-speed rail has been a waste of money. Under the tagline “Keeping Them Honest,” Cooper and Griffin hope to raise public ire about the taxpayer money “dumped” into a program sold as high-speed rail but is really just moving slow trains “a little faster.”
After four years and $12 billion poured into high-speed rail, Griffin says it’s nothing but a pipe dream held by those who “stand to make money” from it. After all, “not a single piece of rail has been laid.”

Griffin and Cooper made essentially the same arguments as their last segment, which cast hellfire and brimstone on a successful little project in Vermont that came in on time and under budget, cutting trip times and improving performance."

Last time I looked, anderson cooper is far from being a "right wing conservative".

Old 01-12-2015, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Well if a train is traveling at 200-250mph, how long would that trip be from city center to city center?
2 hours, but they would stop at a couple other cities on the way so maybe 2.5 hours.

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Actually environmental impacts are very important to any project, I would expect no different treatment to HSR than I do airports or freeways.
I say "no way!".

The EPA is controlled by the left......they pick and choose what are endangered and what aren't based on their ideology and marching orders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
"CNN’s Anderson Cooper is sticking with his series exposing the “boondoggle” of federal high-speed rail funding. In a segment aired Monday night, he and reporter Drew Griffin hammered away yet again at their argument that high-speed rail has been a waste of money. Under the tagline “Keeping Them Honest,” Cooper and Griffin hope to raise public ire about the taxpayer money “dumped” into a program sold as high-speed rail but is really just moving slow trains “a little faster.”
After four years and $12 billion poured into high-speed rail, Griffin says it’s nothing but a pipe dream held by those who “stand to make money” from it. After all, “not a single piece of rail has been laid.”

Griffin and Cooper made essentially the same arguments as their last segment, which cast hellfire and brimstone on a successful little project in Vermont that came in on time and under budget, cutting trip times and improving performance."

Last time I looked, anderson cooper is far from being a "right wing conservative".
I wouldn't be surprised, there are plenty of infrastructure projects that never pan out for various reasons. Unfortunately there is enough that will stand in the way of HSR or attempts to dumb it down to the point that it will never really happen to the same level as other countries that are surpassing us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies