Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2013, 01:34 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
Religion is nothing more than a crutch for weak minds, plain and simple.

Compare your average religious person and schizophrenics...you will see they share numerous traits, and that isnt even touching upon the numerous mental defects in those who consider themselves devout.

If religion ceased to exist tomorrow when we wake up, what do you believe the downsides would be?
I believe, for you, there would be none as your feelings about religion are clear. However, many people take great comfort in religion and what it offers. Like belief systems that have existed globally throughout history, it offers a sense of community, answers to questions such as what happens after death, and usually a morality code. You are being purposely antagonistic to compare those who believe in religion with the mentally ill. You are also, may I remind you, in a distinct minority with your feelings about religion.

Think for a moment about those who were quite devout and would you say they too had 'mental defects'? Martin Luther King Jr., Gandhi, Mother Teresa. These are just a few people that I think most would consider quite important historical and cultural figures. In your viewpoint, they all suffer from weak minds and are best viewed as akin to someone with mental illness. I believe your encompassing hate for religion is clouding your judgement.

I do not subscribe to any religion as I have not felt it necessary in my life. However, I can say that for several things. Nonetheless, I think to call all those who do choose to have some belief system or religion somehow lesser than myself would be elevating myself to some higher intellectual plane that would be foolish of me to do so. Quite simply, stop being so arrogant. You're coming off as an elitist with very little facts to support your position and mostly blind hatred that you're trying to pass off as enlightenment.

Last edited by southbel; 06-28-2013 at 02:48 AM..

Old 06-28-2013, 09:57 AM

493 posts, read 783,336 times
next time people from other places start trashing california.....

'WE THE PEOPLE' of California voted in favor of the traditional definition of marriage. as a matter of fact, despite heavy investment from the liberal elite guay lobby, we won by almost one million votes

our state supreme court upheld our will

its only when the liberal elite steered this case to a judge from ILLINOIS, a closeted guay man who had a vested interest in prop 8 being overturned, as he had been in a relationship for over 10 years with another guay person. so naturally he did overturn it, and as it stands, the liberal elite whose palms are heavily greased by the no on 8 crowd, made it so vaughn walker's voice was the last voice to be heard. in other words, over 7 million voices were muted by one single, unobjective person

its a pretty good scam if you know how to work it. if the powers that be dont like what the public wants, just get one of your judge buddies to declare it unconstitutional, then refuse to defend it before the higher courts, knowing the SCOTUS wont let ordinary citizens have a voice in state rights matters

and voila, there you have the perfect vicious circle. hugo chabez must be down in his box kicking himself for not having thought of such a perfect plan. great if your a "by any means necessary" demagogue, but a very scary precedent for "WE THE PEOPLE"

Old 06-28-2013, 10:16 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinMaynard View Post

'WE THE PEOPLE' of California voted in favor of the traditional definition of marriage. as a matter of fact, despite heavy investment from the liberal elite guay lobby, we won by almost one million votes ...
That was way back then.

If it was put up to a popular vote today, Prop 8 would have been overturned in the voting booth handily - but the rights of a minority should NEVER be put to a vote by the majority (and the district courts and US Supreme Court agree with me on this).

Every single poll has found that the majority of Californians now support legalized same sex marriage.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
That was way back then.

If it was put up to a popular vote today, Prop 8 would have been overturned in the voting booth handily - but the rights of a minority should NEVER be put to a vote by the majority (and the district courts and US Supreme Court agree with me on this).

Every single poll has found that the majority of Californians now support legalized same sex marriage.
LOL, wow, talk about "by any means necessary". good to know someone 3000 miles away is so authoritative....

i find it ironic all the hubbub the left is raising over the voters rights act, while at the same time celebrating california voters having their vote voided by a judge who should have recused himself. a judge who when asked about the aftermath of his decision, did not say "i've rendered my decision" or "its in the hands of a different judges", he said "I'VE DONE MY PART". no undertones with that choice of words...*wink wink*

prop 8's victory was largely attributed to our "minority" population (silly to say, since there is no majority population in california) coming out to the polls to vote for obama

obviously the left has zero problem with voters will being usurped. at all. they only have a problem when the "minorities" they purport to represent get "uppity" and step out of line like they did on prop 8

Old 06-28-2013, 10:38 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
LOL, wow, talk about "by any means necessary". good to know someone 3000 miles away is so authoritative....

i find it ironic all the hubbub the left is raising over the voters rights act, while at the same time celebrating california voters having their vote voided by a judge who should have recused himself. a judge who when asked about the aftermath of his decision, did not say "i've rendered my decision" or "its in the hands of a different judges", he said "I'VE DONE MY PART". no undertones with that choice of words...*wink wink*

prop 8's victory was largely attributed to our "minority" population (silly to say, since there is no majority population in california) coming out to the polls to vote for obama

obviously the left has zero problem with voters will being usurped. at all. they only have a problem when the "minorities" they purport to represent get "uppity" and step out of line like they did on prop 8

You're trying too hard.

It's really funny watching conservative minded people try to play the part of protector of minority interest and honor.

Really, really funny.

Get over it. Prop 8 is dead. The Mormon carpetbaggers that flew in from Utah wasted tons of money, and I'm laughing at their misfortunes.

The law was unconstitutional. You don't get to vote on people's civil rights without damn good reason. If you can't handle that, or think you should be able to, then living in "land of the free" may not be the best option for you. May I suggest any number of alternatives?

Old 06-28-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
You're trying too hard.

It's really funny watching conservative minded people try to play the part of protector of minority interest and honor.

Really, really funny.

Get over it. Prop 8 is dead. The Mormon carpetbaggers that flew in from Utah wasted tons of money, and I'm laughing at their misfortunes.

The law was unconstitutional. You don't get to vote on people's civil rights without damn good reason. If you can't handle that, or think you should be able to, then living in "land of the free" may not be the best option for you. May I suggest any number of alternatives?
thank you for letting us know of youre judgement trimt7, perhaps if judge walker is ever in key west you two can meet and compare judgements.

i however think it would be best that the people's voice be considered by the highest court, not prejudiced judges or random internet ppl

Old 06-28-2013, 11:11 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
thank you for letting us know of youre judgement trimt7, perhaps if judge walker is ever in key west you two can meet and compare judgements.

i however think it would be best that the people's voice be considered by the highest court, not prejudiced judges or random internet ppl
The people do not get to vote away the rights of other people. Sorry

Old 06-28-2013, 11:13 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,271,551 times
Sorry, but rights cannot be voted away. Otherwise, today, Blacks would still be slaves.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:29 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:

'WE THE PEOPLE' of California voted in favor of the traditional definition of marriage. as a matter of fact, despite heavy investment from the liberal elite guay lobby, we won by almost one million votes

our state supreme court upheld our will

its only when the liberal elite steered this case to a judge from ILLINOIS, a closeted guay man who had a vested interest in prop 8 being overturned, as he had been in a relationship for over 10 years with another guay person. so naturally he did overturn it, and as it stands, the liberal elite whose palms are heavily greased by the no on 8 crowd, made it so vaughn walker's voice was the last voice to be heard. in other words, over 7 million voices were muted by one single, unobjective person

its a pretty good scam if you know how to work it. if the powers that be dont like what the public wants, just get one of your judge buddies to declare it unconstitutional, then refuse to defend it before the higher courts, knowing the SCOTUS wont let ordinary citizens have a voice in state rights matters

and voila, there you have the perfect vicious circle. hugo chabez must be down in his box kicking himself for not having thought of such a perfect plan. great if your a "by any means necessary" demagogue, but a very scary precedent for "WE THE PEOPLE"
Yuo I think Justice Kennedy is closeted as well. I am sure it will come out when he dies.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:31 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,670,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
Sorry, but rights cannot be voted away. Otherwise, today, Blacks would still be slaves.
Tell that to the 30-odd states that have voted same-sex marriage bans into their constitutions. I hope every one of them is struck down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies