Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the Feds legalize marijuana?
Yes - make it legal in all 50 states 77 70.00%
Yes, but only for medical purposes 4 3.64%
Abolish Fed restrictions, regulate by state 20 18.18%
Legalize by state and count on Feds to look other way 1 0.91%
No. Marijuana is a gateway drug. 8 7.27%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 09:38 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
And why shouldn't Americans have the legal right to get high? Since when did "making a profit legally" become such a BAD thing? Should we outlaw spray paint because some idiots huff it?

Now c'mon Ivory Tickler. Sing along with me .............

[karaoke \ instrumental] Bob Dylan - Rainy Day Women - YouTube
I'm a teacher. I see what drugs do to kids all the time. I've seen kids go to rehab....take their own lives...drop out of school...lose control....go to jail... I've seen enough to know drugs are bad. No, I won't sing along. I'd like the kids I teach to have a chance. Drugs are an easy way out and they stop you from developing. They prevent you from learning how to enjoy life on your own. They damage your brain. They put thoughts in your head that don't belong there. There is nothing about getting high that is worth the price exacted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 09:43 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Ms. Ivory, that's probably the best argument any person any where has presented on the topic of pot legalization. And might be a great boon to the seniors living business.

As far as your smoking... my mom was mid-80's when it became obvious she was transgressing into oblivion - Alzheimer's... not pot. She was eating a bag of chocolate chip cookies a day when I took her to the Doc about the Alzheimer's. I asked about her eating the choc's and he said at her age she could eat anything she liked. So I bought stock in Nabisco
Having watched my grandmother, my step mother and my father die while in a senior facility and my step father try to take his own life after moving into one, I can make a strong arugment for giving them anything they want. For most, old age is a miserable existance. If ever there was a time when drug use should be allowed, it's when you're waiting in line to check out.

When I get to the point I don't know if buying green bananas is a bad investment, I plan on trying a few things.... At that point, whatever floats your boat. It's not like you're throwing your future away like young people who use drugs so often are.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:36 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,166,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I'm a teacher. I see what drugs do to kids all the time. I've seen kids go to rehab....take their own lives...drop out of school...lose control....go to jail... I've seen enough to know drugs are bad. No, I won't sing along. I'd like the kids I teach to have a chance. Drugs are an easy way out and they stop you from developing. They prevent you from learning how to enjoy life on your own. They damage your brain. They put thoughts in your head that don't belong there. There is nothing about getting high that is worth the price exacted.
And why do so many kids turn to drugs? Obviously our health classes, zero tolerance policies and Say No campaigns haven't worked very well, have they? And I've never heard of anyone who has died or committed suicide as a result of just smoking pot. Eliminate the forbidden fruit factor, eliminate the product itself from drug dealers who push the harder stuff on kids instead of pot, and you have a much more tenable and teachable situation. Then, have the same school suspension or whatever it is you do if you get caught smoking a cigarette or drinking on school grounds.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:38 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,166,570 times
Quote:
Having watched my grandmother, my step mother and my father die while in a senior facility and my step father try to take his own life after moving into one, I can make a strong arugment for giving them anything they want. For most, old age is a miserable existance. If ever there was a time when drug use should be allowed, it's when you're waiting in line to check out.

When I get to the point I don't know if buying green bananas is a bad investment, I plan on trying a few things.... At that point, whatever floats your boat. It's not like you're throwing your future away like young people who use drugs so often are.
What's wrong with green bananas? My husband has been asking for me to buy them greener lately. Should I be concerned?

Old 12-02-2012, 02:01 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
I like your calculations. However, I think your estimate of one ounce per year is a gross underestimate. Half an ounce will yield approximately 30 joints (so 1 a day or 5-6 per weekend). Math is not my forte, would you consider recalculating based on 6-10 ounces a year?
Most of those I know who smoke don't use even half that much.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Have you?

The fact some succeed in spite of drug use does not mean that drug use is good. (Only an idiot would make try to make that argument...are the drugs, perhaps getting to your brain?) You need to look at what happens to the average drug user and compare them to the average non user. If you do, you will see that drug use is not a good thing.
I don't think you know what the average user looks like.

And maybe some succeed BECAUSE of weed, not in spite of it.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
You say that it would only cost $2.75 to grow a pound of weed. What if marijuana was rolled and sold in 20 count joint packages like cigarettes? Sure, .gov could put a picture of Whoopi Goldberg on the pack to try and scare away users, but I guarantee you, people would be willing to pay $20 a pack. !
That picture would do it for me. If I have to look at Whoopi, I'll give up weed.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
4. Has there been any studies done in states where pot has been legal for a few years, to see whether crime, other drug use, workers comp claims, health care usage have been affected? Have there been studies done in legal-pot-states to determine residents (particularly kids) perceptions about use of other drugs?

The Netherlands (where weed is legal) has half the rate of drug use as the USA.

And check out Portugal where they relaxed drug laws and are having quite a success.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
1. If pot is legal (say eg. in Colorado where it just passed) are there stipulations on when and how much you can smoke? Stipulations for cops, fire fighters, EMT's, National Guard, truck drivers, heavy equipment operators, others where not being straight could have repurcussions for others or where they may be tested for workers comp claims in the event of an accident?

?
People should not work while impaired on any substance including legal drugs and alcohol. Weed is no different.

And you don't need a test. If they are impaired, they shouldn't be working.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
They're trying to prevent them from profiting by just allowing people to get high. Given that drug companies have not tried to isolate the, supposed, beneficial compounds in cannibus, and market them for specific ailmments, I question how much of this is just people wanting to get high and using some medical condition as an excuse so it makes sense to make these non profit, however, I question that too.
Me too. Probably most of them have no medical condition. So what?

Quote:
If you're growing it, what's to stop you from selling a little on the side for profit?
Nothing. Just like there is nothing stopping me from growing carrots and tomatoes and selling a little on the side for profit.

Quote:
This is all about the legal right to get high.
True. And that's a good thing. Just like the legal right to ride a bicycle or grow roses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies