Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2012, 07:07 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,718,300 times

Advertisements

In previous posts I have listed data and charts from:

Children's Defense Fund
Fierce Healthcare
Bloomberg.com
Gallup
Census Bureau
Factcheck.Org

All attest to the number of TOTALLY uninsured people in this country. Scarecrow calls them all liars. Seems like he's the only truthteller in the whole damn nation.

Everyone who disagrees with him, regardless of data, is a liar, a liberal, pinko, commie, and probably soulless and going to hell as well.

When you believe everyone is lying, it says much about character---or lack thereof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 07:10 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,373,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
In previous posts I have listed data and charts from:

Children's Defense Fund
Fierce Healthcare
Bloomberg.com
Gallup
Census Bureau
Factcheck.Org

All attest to the number of TOTALLY uninsured people in this country. Scarecrow calls them all liars. Seems like he's the only truthteller in the whole damn nation.

Everyone who disagrees with him, regardless of data, is a liar, a liberal, pinko, commie, and probably soulless and going to hell as well.

When you believe everyone is lying, it says much about character---or lack thereof.
PRIVATE health insurance. Do you have ANY idea what that means?

Old 12-18-2012, 07:12 PM

Default And how good is our wonderful healthcare?

From PBS Newshour:

let's consider what 17 cents of every U.S. dollar is purchasing. According to the most recent report from the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) -- an international economic group comprised of 34 member nations -- it's not as much as many Americans expect.
In the United States:
  • There are fewer physicians per person than in most other OECD countries. In 2010, for instance, the U.S. had 2.4 practicing physicians per 1,000 people -- well below below the OECD average of 3.1.
  • The number of hospital beds in the U.S. was 2.6 per 1,000 population in 2009, lower than the OECD average of 3.4 beds.
  • Life expectancy at birth increased by almost nine years between 1960 and 2010, but that's less than the increase of over 15 years in Japan and over 11 years on average in OECD countries. The average American now lives 78.7 years in 2010, more than one year below the average of 79.8 years
If our healthcare is so damn good, why doesn't it show up in the results.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:22 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,583,826 times
It would be nice if the USA had a universal healthcare system but I seriously doubt the ability of the country to run such a system. It seems that aything run by the government in the USA is a mess. Just the way the country is structures politically leads to major corruption in ALL public areas.

I mean it's very apparent the country is very different than the rest of the developed world. Why does the USA have many times the prison rate of the rest of us. Why does the USA have many times the murder rate than the rest of us? Who knows but it's these kind of things that illustrate the inability of the public sphere to fix anything well.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:25 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,373,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
308,000,000 total...
21,000,000 with VA
that leaves about 287,000,000

Tell us who the the other 241,000,000 have insurance with...
then you can tell us who the last 46,000,000 use.
Your liberal media is throwing around the 46 million number, not me. And it's your asinine liberal politicians who picked up on the original comment - by none other than the "honorable" liar Michael Moore. However...

It is estimated that 40% of them are young adults (18-28) who are young and healthy and simply do not want to spend money on health insurance.

Another 10 million of 46 million are undocumented/illegals. Even the Census Bureau admits that it guessed, and that it guessed high.

Of those "uninsured", 8.3 million earn between $50,000 - $75,000 per year. 8.7 million make over $75,000 per year. In other words, they can afford it if they choose to.

Government studies show that 45% of the "uninsured" have health insurance again within 4 months, and did NOT have health insurance because they were in job transition.

Now... Would you knee-jerk liberals like to CONTINUE to parrot Michael Moore and lie about the number of uninsured Americans? Or would you like to drink deeply from something called reality?

Here's a liberal slant:
46 Million Uninsured: A Look Behind The Number : NPR

Here's a conservative slant:
Who are the uninsured and should we pay to cover them? | Power Line

Old 12-18-2012, 07:28 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,461,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
We have medical coverage for the poorest of the poor. It's called Medicaid.
We have medical coverage for low-to-modest income families. Every state has it.
We have medical coverage for the elderly. It's called Medicare.
We have medical coverage for over 21 million veterans.
We have private medical insurance that can be bought by millions of other Americans.

Yeah, Americans are dying for our lack of healthcare coverage, aren't we?
No, it wasn't there when I was out of work and needed it in my state. I applied and was told it was only for mothers and children. This is personal experience. What's yours.

Also, here is another accounting by T.T. Reid in "The Healing of America." Please give me some websites that show the coverage for "every state" where everyone is eligible for medical coverage. Again, why would people be asking for it and why would President Obama and Congress be debating it if we already have it?

And why would people, such as the woman in the aforementioned book die due to lack of it? Sorry, but do not think you were in the health insurance industry for nearly 25 years. I was. I saw it happen. You also I suspect were not in a position, and I apologize if I am wrong, where you did not have insurance but had a chronic illness that worsened because you were out of work and could not get medical coverage, I was.

Do you have any idea of the cost of private medical insurance? Or the pre-existing clauses that exclude people at present. Although I know the pre-existing part will be changing soon there is nothing to prevent the insurance companies still from charging and arm and a leg for premiums. Right now, a friend of mine who is healthy except for a small knee problem pays $1100 for her private policy. An individual who has had a minor illness ten years ago can have to pay astronomical premiums. Not as easy as you seem to think.

So please tell me where your facts are coming from as I have told you where mine are from. It amazes me how cavalier you are with your information. I would really like to know your sources for all of it. You paint a picture of yourself as one who had great medical coverage who has never struggled to get it or hold it. In other words one of the lucky ones who has no idea how the other half lives.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:36 PM

Default Gee, Scarecrow

You now have the following organizations listed as liars:

Children's Defense Fund
Fierce Healthcare
Bloomberg.com
Gallup
Census Bureau
FactCheck.Org
Reuters
PBS Newshour

and I suppose
Physicians Practice

since they don't say what you believe.

By the way, can YOU cite a single source, JUST ONE respected, national source that says what all these organizations are saying are lies???

No, you can't. And I think that tells everyone where the lying is taking place.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:13 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,433,439 times
This is a really interesting thread for someone like me, who lives outside America. I can see this subject generates a lot of anger. It shouldn't really. Health care should be available to everyone.

The National Health Service in Britain has been in existence since 1947, and because of it, health care is not a subject people think much about, it is just there when needed.

It is a very expensive organisation to run, out of general taxation. But, I would think, cheaper to run than a profit based system.

I have had dealings with it many times over the years, from a couple of back operations myself, to my children being born, to visiting ill, and dying relatives. I cannot praise it enough. The hospitals are modern, full of caring staff.

No one seriously talks about a different system of health care. Sure, they tinker with it, but the basic system remains the same. A health care system free at the point of need.

I needed it earlier this year with a throat problem. I had put it off a while, so I started thinking all sorts of things were wrong with me. I finally made an appointment with my doctor. He could see my concern, and rang our local hospital ear, nose and throat department. I was given an appointment later that day. I went down, waited a short while, then I was attended to by a doctor and nurse with a camera down the throat...

I'll spare the grisly details, but nothing was found at all. I was just getting myself into a state worrying about next to nothing. I started feeling better almost immediately after the swift treatment I received.
It was just a slight hiatus hernia, common in people my age.

From what I read on this thread, there seems to be a lot of different organisations in America dealing with health care. Plus all the people on the administrative side dealing with insurance claims, and bills for treatment received by citizens.

It doesn't seem a very efficient way of running a health care system. Plus the many people who just don't seem to be able to afford to pay for insurance. This must be a massive worry for people worrying about becoming ill.

Before anyone tears into me about what is wrong with the NHS. I prefer to point to the vast majority of it that is right. The people of this country think very highly of our NHS. That's how we see it - it's ours, and we cherish it.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:24 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,386,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
This is a really interesting thread for someone like me, who lives outside America. I can see this subject generates a lot of anger. It shouldn't really. Health care should be available to everyone.

The National Health Service in Britain has been in existence since 1947, and because of it, health care is not a subject people think much about, it is just there when needed.

It is a very expensive organisation to run, out of general taxation. But, I would think, cheaper to run than a profit based system.

I have had dealings with it many times over the years, from a couple of back operations myself, to my children being born, to visiting ill, and dying relatives. I cannot praise it enough. The hospitals are modern, full of caring staff.

No one seriously talks about a different system of health care. Sure, they tinker with it, but the basic system remains the same. A health care system free at the point of need.

I needed it earlier this year with a throat problem. I had put it off a while, so I started thinking all sorts of things were wrong with me. I finally made an appointment with my doctor. He could see my concern, and rang our local hospital ear, nose and throat department. I was given an appointment later that day. I went down, waited a short while, then I was attended to by a doctor and nurse with a camera down the throat...

I'll spare the grisly details, but nothing was found at all. I was just getting myself into a state worrying about next to nothing. I started feeling better almost immediately after the swift treatment I received.
It was just a slight hiatus hernia, common in people my age.

From what I read on this thread, there seems to be a lot of different organisations in America dealing with health care. Plus all the people on the administrative side dealing with insurance claims, and bills for treatment received by citizens.

It doesn't seem a very efficient way of running a health care system. Plus the many people who just don't seem to be able to afford to pay for insurance. This must be a massive worry for people worrying about becoming ill.

Before anyone tears into me about what is wrong with the NHS. I prefer to point to the vast majority of it that is right. The people of this country think very highly of our NHS. That's how we see it - it's ours, and we cherish it.

And you Dave are very very lucky and very very blessed to have such a system.
We in this country wake up everyday to a nightmare concerning the lack of the most basic of human rights; healthcare.

This is one of the largest reasons as to why this country isn't even in the top ten for anything concerning the treatment of it's citizenry any longer.
We have truly failed.

When we put profits above people in any aspect of society we reap the consequences of that. And we are, in spades.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:28 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,609,474 times
This is a pretty well known debate and it's not about having Obamacare or not. I for one don't think Obamacare is the answer either. It's about changing our current healthcare for a non profit. Last I checked we still have a for profit healthcare system regardless of Obamacare. He just tweaked the current system. So I put it here. I don't think it's a political controversy. I think it's a debate on profit vs non profit system in the U.S.
But, that said, I'm sure a moderator will move it if they deem necessary. I don't have the last word in that.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-19-2012 at 07:52 AM.. Reason: Edited out reference to deleted post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies