Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2012, 12:16 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,438,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 314guy View Post
A Look at Mass Shootings in the United States

By CRISTINA COSTANTINI
Dec. 14, 2012

http://abcnews.go.com/ABC_Univision/...4#.UMu9uJPjkk8

"Forty three of the 61 killers were white males"
Do they mention the 400 murders and 2000 people shot in Chicago this year which all were mainly committed by blacks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 12:17 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
"Obama" really?? Why would you make this tragedy political......so sad that you would do that.
Because you sounded just like Obama. This is a political board. Go to a grief board and stop talking like Obama if it upsets you so much.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:19 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times
There are poor mental health services in the U.S----that's one factor.

Community mental health resources are poorly funded and over-whelmed. All those people who want to cut back on social services might want to take a second look at that.

Even people with health insurance, it doesn't always cover mental health services.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:20 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,881,667 times
I dont think Obamas going to be calling anyone a terrorist again anytime soon.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:22 AM

1,515 posts, read 1,225,652 times
Maybe they should make stealing firearms & murder allowed only with special permits. And require training & demonstrate safe handling of firearms before committing murder with stolen firearms. I'm sure those "restrictions" would have deterred this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Maybe we should make low capacity weapons the only ones allowed without special assault weapon permits. I mean REALLY low cap, like single-action six shooters and single shot rifles. Or three shot rifles, to ensure a complete kill when hunting.

You'd have a reasonable chance at self-defense, especially if you learn the art of speed shooting. Yet at the same time, it would be really hard to kill large numbers of people in one mass murder. Maybe only three or six instead of 27 or 100, giving more victims a chance to escape. It's not a great compromise between gun rights and human right to live without excessive worry, but these incidents seem to be accelerating and I think something should be done.

Another possibility would be better care for the mentally ill, including forcibly keeping them in the mental health system at least on an outpatient basis if they've acted out violently in the past. A national database of the violent ones seems reasonable to me, though there could be some loss of privacy that would need to be addressed somehow.

A third idea would be to equalize gun laws across states, so that all of them require training and demonstrated safe handling of hand guns especially. I've gotten licenses from two states, Washington and Pennsylvania, and neither required safety training.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:22 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Everytime we have these mass shootings everyone says it was a "mental health" issue.

Yet most are quick to diagnose a dead person based on media reports and then call for better mental health facilities.

Bring back the asylums and let judges commit people like they used to.
Then you won't have these people wandering around society like a keg of dynamite where any random occurrence in life will set them off on a deadly rampage, taking as many innocent victims as they can with them.

You don't want them locked up (violation of their rights).
Yet when they go on a rampage you all start up with "broken system", "have to fix".
People..this is the fix..they are walking freely in society, not get diagnosed, not getting meds or not taking meds.
That's all well and good while they are minors and under their parents' control. But once they hit legal age they are on their own. And you've all read the stories about how the parents can't do anything once they hit legal age.

When you set them free years ago what did you think would happen to them ?

Thank you, was waiting for someone like you to respond with sense. Sometimes yes these acts are committed by people with mental inssues who should get the help that they need.

But not alwyas, too many excuses are made. Some people have such hatred and are cold hearted, and have evil, in their heart and souls and just love the idea of people hurting, and them being in control.

The person who killed my cousin sitting at his table drinking coffee, was stabbed to death, for no reason, no reason at all, in his own home, minding his own business. And was stabbed over and over again.

Because the person who did this crime, loved the idea of killing a innocent person. No more excuses for those who are hell bent of killing of the innocent, i was consumed with hatred for such a long time, hated people, but that was not the answer.

I have to say, that me myself, someone who you all know, i usually do not like President Obama, him as our President, not a person. Was touched and moved this day, by what he said and his actions. I have never seen him so upset in the 4 years of him being President, yes i saw him in a different light.

Politics aside, we are all part of this human non perfect race.

This was evil plain and simple, and no excuses to be made for these acts. My heart was breaking most of this day. How many people know someone who makes a very negative reamark, or says something about another person, that they dismisss.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:23 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,897 times
I saw some English newscaster on CNN blame guns, violent video games, and violent movies in a single breath and then said that they need to be banned. He also stated that we "need to stop talking and thinking and start doing".

Nice to see that the jackals never let a good tragedy go to waste.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:24 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Default 5 Lies The Gun Lobby Tells You

MYTH #1: More guns don’t lead to more murders

MYTH #2: The Second Amendment prohibits strict gun control.

MYTH #3: State-level gun controls haven’t worked

MYTH #4: We only need better enforcement of the laws we have, not new laws.

MYTH #5: Sensible gun regulation is prohibitively unpopular.

Further explanation of each lie can be found at the link:

Five Lies The Gun Lobby Tells You | ThinkProgress

Old 12-15-2012, 12:24 AM

4,919 posts, read 4,835,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
And most rational people know that their chances of being gunned down in a mall are very, very slim.
So's winning the lottery 'but' .. someone ALWAYS wins!

I'll stick to being .. irrational.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:26 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,419,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Rough YEAR? Chicago has had a rough 20 years under their strict gun control.. Where you start is with parents being parents, not with trashing the 2nd ammendment.
20 years, that's a good cutoff.

Chicago Murders:

1992 - 943
2012 - 488

Now imagine if we made better efforts to crack down on the flow of guns in the inner-cities. We might compare favorably to Japan and Australia instead of Guatemala and Brazil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies