Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2012, 06:38 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,836,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Victor View Post
Wipping this away is JUST a mouse click away.....

You missed this one ..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 06:38 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,256,164 times
Who cares how he got the guns?

Stole them, bought them, borrowed them.......whatever.

The problem is the easy accessibility of them.

Am I a gun grabber? No. But I do think too many have bought into the NRA mentality that there should be NO restrictions, NO oversight, on who gets these guns and how they are handled afterwards.

An 11-year-old boy tries to carjack a young woman with a loaded gun he got from home.

A shooter steals a gun and shoots up a mall.

And, in this most recent case, the shooter gets his mother's guns, shoots her and another family member, and then commits carnage in a kindergarten classroom.

As far as I'm concerned, if you own guns, then it is YOUR responsibility to make sure NO ONE else has access to those guns. And if someone does get them and commits a crime with them, then YOU need to be held accountable.

If you can't lock them up in such a way that someone can't steal them or "borrow" them, then YOU need to be accountable for any damage done by them.

From what I understand, there are NO waiting periods at gun shows. Why not? The way I understand it, anyone can walk into a gun show and walk out with a firearm. WHY?

My son, for his 18th birthday, wanted a Russian military rifle that a local sporting goods store sells. I was buying it for him and I had a background check done - I couldn't pick up the gun for something like five or six days.

SOMETHING needs to be done. And, yes, I feel that the NRA and those who believe there should be no oversight and no restrictions on acquiring guns have blood on their hands.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:39 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,558,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
You wouldn't win. You don't have the guns, they do. Good luck with taking them away. There are those who will die for their right to keep them.

You going to war on automobiles for killing people in car accidents? The liquor industry for making alcohol that caused people to die in drunk driving accidents???
Actually I would win, because I would have the authority of the 2nd Amendment to call to arms the military. I'd also have the resources of the CIA, FBI, DHS, NSA, and several others to find the guns. I'd have also make the Patriot Act read like a Dr. Suess book with my intentions of finding the guns. I would allow those who rather die defending their guns, to die, instead of live without them. Live by the gun, die by the gun. Your choice, as I'd be more than happy to grant your wish to purge this country of these idiotic devices that serve only one purpose, to kill. A car has the intent to transport. A beer has the intent to relax and put smiles on faces. A gun has the intent to kill, period.

But I would first start by shutting down all gun manufacturers in the US, and ban all imports of guns through the cargo ports. I'd find a way to make the likes of Smith & Weson liable for the deaths their devices have caused, just like cigetteres, but far more punishing and extreme. I'd throw billions at them in legal fees to shut them down, make them go bankrupt.

I'd do whatever it took to get the guns, with the single source of motivation to do so, being the innocent children of this country. Shame on us adults for allowing these guns to even exist. It's our fault, and its our responsibility to fix it. A child doesn't give a crap what you want. A child wants to learn and play. Its our responsibility to make sure they can. Allowing a Glock to sit on the table, is a failure of our responsibility to our children. Plain and simple.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:40 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,950,670 times
BREAKING NEWS: The NRA has finally joined the rest of the world and posted something regarding this tragic event in their news feed:
NRA

Oh wait, nevermind. They are ignoring it as expected... literally "whistling past the graveyard" as if all the gun laws they lobbied for have nothing to do with gun violence. Jerks.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:41 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,131,343 times
Most states don't have waiting periods.

Why have them?

If I want to kill you now I can sure as heck wait until I have the gun.

Or I'll just stab you.

These control measures DON'T work.

The only thing correct you said was that owners should be responsible for their guns. If they are easily accessibly then it's their fault.

But then that is already the case.

Tap'n while driving...

Old 12-14-2012, 06:43 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,419,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
James Holmes-Aurora Theater shootings
Seung-Hui Cho, Virgina Tech

Old 12-14-2012, 06:44 PM

1,684 posts, read 1,185,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
You missed this one ..
A 1911 .45 well. How fitting...... John Browning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These colors don't run...no matter WHO cries about it.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:44 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,836,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERS-One View Post
I'm aware of gun laws in Mexico. My point is that Mexico is completely irrelevant to this discussion of 'Why does America have more nutbars per capita than any other civilized country?'

I didn't make any argument for gun control or absence of it any of my posts. Nor the laws of Mexico.

And I agree with you about soaking children's brains in pharmaceuticals. That cannot be good.
Who has verified these stats?
You?

Who says Mexico is (In your words) 'irrelevant'?
You?

I say that Mexico has more (nutbars) and that would include the Mexican Gangs .. here in America!

How's THAT for on-topic?

Old 12-14-2012, 06:45 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,736,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
From what I understand, there are NO waiting periods at gun shows. Why not? The way I understand it, anyone can walk into a gun show and walk out with a firearm. WHY?

My son, for his 18th birthday, wanted a Russian military rifle that a local sporting goods store sells. I was buying it for him and I had a background check done - I couldn't pick up the gun for something like five or six days.
I agree with you that people should be accountable for locking up and securing their guns.

I don't like waiting periods. Here's why. A woman I'm acquainted with finally got up the nerve to leave her abusive husband. She immediately started the process of purchasing a gun because she knew he'd be looking for revenge for he leaving him. This was in California so the waiting period was four weeks (if memory serves.) She was already dead by her ex's hand before the four weeks were up and she might still be alive today if she hadn't been forced to wait.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:45 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
The guns were owned and registered to his mother.

But his mother is dead now, shot in the face with her own gun at the hand of her own son.
And then he went on a rampage and shot her kindergarten class at her school.

Kill your own mother and then go kill all the kids in her class.
His friend and girlfriend are still missing; most likely dead also.

For all we know his mother may have kept them locked up.
For all we know he may have stolen the key and unlocked them and took the guns himself.

We don't know and we probably never will. He was 20 years old....barely an adult and he did this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies