Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2012, 09:59 PM

688 posts, read 653,179 times

Advertisements

What the OP is suggesting is pretty far removed from what I've heard, and feel, of the CT school shooting. Every murder is a tragedy, but to suggest that school shootings are a cultural problem is pretty absurd. We have millions of school-aged children in this country, and, overall, they are still safe at school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
With seemingly every report of violence on the evening news in the inner city I am inevitably bombarded with the predictable onslaught of calls for the black community to look deep within itself and atone for its "cultural ills"
I take offense to this as I assume you're speaking of white people here. To that, I say, black people want an answer to gang violence as well. After all, black people don't like being scared anymore than white people. It's not an "predictable onslaught" of pointing the finger at black people to change themselves when I/we say, "Let's find a way to fix this." It's because I value Americans, regardless of race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 10:00 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,767,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
I'll preface this by saying that statistically, suburbia is a MUCH less violent place than "the hood." These isolated incidents are statistically negligible in comparison.

But whereas a poor kid (race not being relevant) is more likely to be in situations where violence is more prevalent and acceptable, his insanity will show sooner. He'll fight, get locked up, etc etc. A more affluent suburban kid will bottle it up for 5 years, and then go on a killing spree.
But still --- look at so many of these cases -- the Columbine killers, the Aurora theater shooter, the Portland OR killer, and now this case -- the killers come from well-to-do liberal homes. If anything they are extra-privileged.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:01 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,858,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
The president said "may God bless these families and he quoted scripture. Will the atheists form a protest and a letter campaign to stop him from doing that?
Why would we? The president is free to have and share his own personal beliefs.

That's is entirely different from 'bringing God back to the schools'

Old 12-14-2012, 10:02 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,795,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Perhaps too much religious indoctrination using fear that teaches children not to think for themselves or develop a conscience?
You are totally backwards saying that the morals that are taught in the Bible caused this.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:02 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,517,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
Actually .. Dead is Dead.

Put the video games away.
The only 'maroons' are those that believe that government will be successful in dis-arming .. law abiding citizens!
A country with none of the threats that Israel faces on a daily basis but whose citizens insist on having guns to do what? Why, of course, defend itself from it's own government and citizens; now how fudged up is that????

The only Maroons are those that won't support any Government initiative to try. And if the Government you elected decides to AMEND the stupid amendment to clarify it's original intent that would make you all criminals wouldn't it?

Your law abiding status just went out the window with your illegal-to-smoke-in-a-public-place-cigarette. Or is it only some laws created that you choose to obey that make you a law abiding citizen.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:04 PM

461 posts, read 556,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Doesn't matter what we call them...murderers are murderers.
Agreed. As far as I'm concerned, they're all terrorists, menaces to society, and mentally unstable.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:04 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,993,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Bingo. No one on this thread has articulated why folks need military grade, automatic weapons beyond, "the 2nd amendment". Being against automatic killing machines does not mean one is against guns. I wish conservatives could engage in an honest debate and offer some real solutions instead of tarring everyone who sees things differently as a liberal who is coming after their guns.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:05 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,536,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
Why would we? The president is free to have and share his own personal beliefs.

That's is entirely different from 'bringing God back to the schools'
You will never stop people from turning to God in times of tragedy so why not get over it? The governor and the president both are talking about God and faith while representing their state and country. What will you do about them since they are breaking the law of separation of church and state?

Old 12-14-2012, 10:06 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,867,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
But still --- look at so many of these cases -- the Columbine killers, the Aurora theater shooter, the Portland OR killer, and now this case -- the killers come from well-to-do liberal homes. If anything they are extra-privileged.
That's my point. These aren't street kids, they live in environments where there is no outlet for their violent tendencies. I don't want to say a "repressed" culture, but I will for lack of a better word.

Again though, I fail to see how this can reflect poorly on said culture. It is statistically insignificant, and rich white people are no worse at dealing with insanity - once it has been identified - than anyone else.

I just skimmed the article though, that guy is full of crap.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:06 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,336,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Eh...no thanks. I already know the truth, and i didn't even have to open the Bible to find it.

You really should've thought that one out better. Seriously. You're babbling.

How do you know that the kids don't know the word of God? Where did you get the info from?
Seriously. Nobody can show me a school where "God is not allowed". Say a prayer before lunch if you wish. Bring the Bible to school to read if you so choose. No school can disallow it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies