Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 05:09 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Mental health care is available to people who can afford it, whose insurance covers it, or who are poor enough to qualify for government programs that provide it.

Guns are available to anyone who can afford them. No primary-care gun providers, no "gatekeepers," no gun-insurance company bureaucrats standing in the way.
So...just who is mental health coverage not available for? Per your post...those that can afford it..and those that can't. Who does that leave?

So, should the government be paying for guns for those that can't afford them, like it does medical care?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 05:10 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
Only in America where owning guns is a right but healthcare is not, bloody shame.
So...just who is preventing you from receiving mental health treatment?

Maybe we do need more restrictions on firearms purchases, perhaps a basic IQ test and some demonstration that a buyer is mentally sane. After reading some of the post on CD today, I'm starting to come around. It's becoming obvious that there are more people than I realized that clearly lack the IQ, rationality and/or mental stability to be expected to handle a firearm safely.

Brings back the old issue, maybe we need to open up the asylums again. Putting crazy people on the street clearly hasn't worked well.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:11 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,749,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
i could get a gun faster than i can get some weed.. something wrong with this picture..
Yep there is as your neighbors must hate you, as I have to wait a week to buy a gun I could get weed in 5 minutes from my neighbors on either side.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:12 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,552,145 times
I believe mental health is very undervalued in the United States.

How to fix that, I don't know.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:14 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
I am not sure if the Op is makig a statemnt about governamtn verus private sector or not.But I do agree that being institutionalzed for mental health is very difficult i uS. But one can perosnal get very good service if one wants it and can pay fot it.But they don't give guns or health services for free.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:15 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,525,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
So...just who is banning you from mental health treatment?
Well, the conservatives/Republicans are certainly making it hard for people to get access to health care, including mental health care. Just look at their strident opposition to the ACA. But when it comes to getting access to guns.....the conservatives are the prime enablers.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:15 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
I find that a lot of people I know who have plenty of access to mental health care are verrrrrrrrrrrrry noncompliant patients.

This question fails at its premise.
You could have all the free mental healthcare in the world; problem is that the mentally ill often have to be 'convinced' (by force) that they need it.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:16 PM

169 posts, read 113,176 times
It's all a matter of funding. Those who can pay for it, get it. Even insurance companies are not very good at providing reimbursement for mental health care.....or they require an inordinate amount of information to approve a claim or for more than 10-12 sessions, which to me is a violation of a patient's privacy. An insurance claim worker doesn't need to know any of that info. In most states, mental health "parity" totally sucks. We'll see what happens with obamacare. As for others who depend on community-based agencies for mental health care......which means funding by the govt.....it's pretty scarce. And because the funding is usually terrible, the treatment provided is often forced to be minimal. If they would cut all of the Wall Street corporate welfare, repaying political donors, feeding their pet projects that do nothing to make things better for people in general....well, we'd have plenty of funding for mental health services.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:17 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,203,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Why?

it should always be easier to buy a firearm than to get any kind of care at all. 1 is a Constitutional right and the other isnt.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:17 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,157,597 times
"Only a crazy person would ever do something like this! Let's lock up all crazy people!!!"

We're doomed as a society. Some of you realize this, don't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies